Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

testing my lenses part 130 - Minolta MD Rokkor 40-80mm/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: testing my lenses part 130 - Minolta MD Rokkor 40-80mm/2.8 Reply with quote

it's this lens:

samples made with Olympus E-M5
first 3 photos are made using close focus option on the lens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about this lens but never seen any sample images. The image quality appears to be excellent. Your version of this lens was introduced in November 1977 and discontinued less than a year later.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I've heard about this lens but never seen any sample images. The image quality appears to be excellent. Your version of this lens was introduced in November 1977 and discontinued less than a year later.

as far as i've seen on the web about this lens it was manufactured 3 years in total, first MC version then MD version

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me likey!
Nice shots!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that, the backlit shots are excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says old zooms are crap? this is not!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results from a rare and odd lens!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M4/3 hides the weakness of this lens - corner performance.

There's a nice comparison here between a couple of modern high-end Sony zooms and this wierd old Minolta and the old lens compares very favourably except in corner performance, which is to be expected given the older design. Still, an impressive performance for an old zoom.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wwu124/sets/72157631194208878/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
M4/3 hides the weakness of this lens - corner performance.

There's a nice comparison here between a couple of modern high-end Sony zooms and this wierd old Minolta and the old lens compares very favourably except in corner performance, which is to be expected given the older design. Still, an impressive performance for an old zoom.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wwu124/sets/72157631194208878/

well that is really fair comparison isn't it? compare 1977 short tele zoom with modern long tele zoom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair in what sense? He simply wanted to see how the older lens compared to modern ones, and if you bothered to read the info, he tested it against two different modern zooms. As usual, no need for your negative attitude. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've read the info, long before today, and in second comparison, there is no difference in corner performance between this lens and the modern short zoom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you've read it before, then your criticism is doubly unwarranted. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whether i read that comparison before or not is completely irrelevant, because i didn't make any claims about this lens in regards of sharpness. you on the other hand, are quick to point out negative things about a lens, as usual, and conveniently use only part of that comparison that goes in your favor, omitting second part of the comparison. that comparison, being one of the rare comparison of this lens, is inconclusive at best. only thing it shows is that sony 70-200/2.8 lens is sharp across the frame.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes no sence to discuss. Best is to ignore.

These are very nice images and I'm still thinking that your post production skills are impressive.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

These are very nice images and I still thinking that your post production skills are impressive.

Wink

thank you,all i do is correct black point and white point in levels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: testing my lenses part 130 - Minolta MD Rokkor 40-80mm/2 Reply with quote

[quote="WolverineX"]it's this lens:

Is that the zoom mechanism on the side, I'm thinking this must be an auto focus lens or does the box/wheel function as the mf too?? This is a very unusual design , to my eyes anyway. Was it released with a particular model camera as well?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: testing my lenses part 130 - Minolta MD Rokkor 40-80mm/2 Reply with quote

[quote="cyrano"]
WolverineX wrote:
it's this lens:

Is that the zoom mechanism on the side? This is a very unusual design , to my eyes anyway. Was it released with a particular model camera as well?

you change focal lenght with that lever on the side, focus with the wheel around the lever, and you have pin that engages the close focus function that is not seen here

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens! I always watch for your tests. I've learned, though, that the 3D pop you excel at, may sometimes require an exceptional lens, but the superior results are often more due to your abilities as a photographer. Wonderful as always.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you , kindly Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

few more samples

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding pictures, as usual. Cool Did the optics of this one off lens appear in a conventional lens ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/ there is no conventional zoom with this optics.
No absolute proof ofcourse but AFAIK this listing is the best inventory of Minolta SR mount lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lens that replaced this lens in this focal range was 35-70mm/3.5, but the optical design is completely different: