Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

vivitar autofocus lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: vivitar autofocus lens Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have just aquired a Vivitar 200mm F3.5 Auto Focus canon fd mount lens. This is in completely NEW condition, boxed with original case, with all straps unopened and even all the original paperwork unopened.

A few questions?

Is this a well regarded lens.

What batteries does it take??, (AA and AAA do not fit it)

There is very little info on line about this lens and it seems quite rare?? is it??

I cannot test it without batteries, but assume it all works as it should

I would ask what you think a true mint example should be worth today then I will tell you what I paid for it. Smile

Its quite exiting, I love the thing all ready. Smile

Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the article here it says 3 AAA batteries Confused

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=25275

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks karen, I didnt try the AAA just assumed they were too small Rolling Eyes typical.

Well, it works perfectly and looks quite the business on an A1, will take a few shots and post them here.

Would love any opinions on it in the mean time though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komine version is supposed to be optically similar to the well-regarded Viv S1 200/3, sans the pellicle mirror, of course. I think mine, which is a Cosina, is very good but I haven't used it enough. Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the komine version and as I said, it is in 'just left the factory' condition. I tried it after having inserted thge three aaa bateries which I thought wouldn't fit, and everything is working as it should. The focus seems to be spot on and although i have yet to put a film through it in anger it looks like a real keeper.

I have no time to put it through it's paces at the moment but, I think this is something special.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the slightly slower speed from the Series 1 f/3 is due to the added AF mechanism. It should otherwise be the same as the f/3 and that means superb.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Woodrim, I paid £ 9.99 for this and I feel like a robber!! If it is superb, then xmas has come early, its in fabulous condition Smile
    Cant get the time to test it at the mo though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
    Cheers Woodrim, I paid £ 9.99 for this and I feel like a robber!! If it is superb, then xmas has come early, its in fabulous condition Smile
    Cant get the time to test it at the mo though.

Congratulations. Other than being large and unsightly (but interesting). it should perform very well. Please feel free to view my gallery of images from my 3/200. The early ones are from a Sony A200, then changing to NEX-5N which handled the lens much better. With the NEX there was minimal CA and the focusing aids made a huge difference in getting crisp images. f/3 was nearly unusable with the A200, yet with the NEX it was excellent at f/3. http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/vivitar200mms1 View images in "original" mode.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£9-99 - that IS robbery....... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! thanks woodrim, that is a cracking advert for the lens. i see what you mean about the shots on the nex, excellent. Cant wait to try it out now although a bit scared of putting any marks on it, i'm not used to brand new old lenses Smile

And lloydy, it makes up for all the crap I've landed in the past mate.

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yours is the AF 200/f 3.5 and the serialnumber begins with 09, its a Cosina made like mine (cfr Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivitar).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi quidam, mine is the Komine starting with 28, how do you find your lens?

Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used it a lot. Image quality is good, but its rather bulky, has ca and it hunts quite well.Also, it is difficult to be discrete with such a lens on a small camera like a Nex. Mine was a real bargain too in mint condition in a pretty box.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, whats it worth? I don't want to sell it but I want it to be rare and valuable Laughing

Found one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221604522259?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have this on my watch list so it will be interesting to see how it develops and sells for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good lens but rather bulky. Gives semi-decent auto focus . These are a little easier to get than the 200 f/3 but the 200 f/3 is a touch sharper than this one. All in all you got a pretty good lens for very little money. Great buy. Now let's see some photos with it!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg ?

Long time no see....

How have you been ?

Welcome back !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm doing well. I retire in 191 days so they are truly going well!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples(Vivitar 200/3.5 on Sony NEX-5N):

[more]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit optomistic but if it sells for that I'll sell mine on Smile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181681235204?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now that would be a result Cool