Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kaleinar-5N 100 2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Kaleinar-5N 100 2.8 Reply with quote

First time posting here, hello everyone!
Yesterday a seller I know offered me a Kaleinar-5N for 30€. The price being so good, I jumped on it.
The lens had some moisture in, so he had to disassemble it to dry it off. After that I tried it, and the result was this

As you can see the center is in focus (as in focus as a d3200 viewfinder and my skill allowed) and sharp, while the corners are really ugly and soft. Any idea what could be causing this? Images from this lens I've found around the web (this site included) look really sharp, so I doubt this is the result I should expect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar-5N 100 2.8 Reply with quote

cluelessnikonguy wrote:
Yesterday a seller I know offered me a Kaleinar-5N for 30€. The price being so good, I jumped on it.
The lens had some moisture in, so he had to disassemble it to dry it off. After that I tried it, and the result was this

As you can see the center is in focus (as in focus as a d3200 viewfinder and my skill allowed) and sharp, while the corners are really ugly and soft. Any idea what could be causing this? Images from this lens I've found around the web (this site included) look really sharp, so I doubt this is the result I should expect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Try photographing something like a brick wall or some landscapes to better judge the quality.

Looks like there could be some issues. Maybe you put one of the lens elements back the wrong way?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar-5N 100 2.8 Reply with quote

cluelessnikonguy wrote:
The lens had some moisture in, so he had to disassemble it to dry it off. After that I tried it, and the result was this...

So you had to disassemble it, are you positive it was put together correctly? an element in backwards? or not seated correctly causing decentering?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar-5N 100 2.8 Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
cluelessnikonguy wrote:
The lens had some moisture in, so he had to disassemble it to dry it off. After that I tried it, and the result was this...

So you had to disassemble it, are you positive it was put together correctly? an element in backwards? or not seated correctly causing decentering?

It was the seller who disassembled it, he knows his stuff but I can't be certain of course. I gave it back to him who said he'll look into it, hopefully it's as simple as that. I wanted to get some opinions on the problem to understand if it was a faulty lens, a multicoating problem (I've read that this lens has a really soft coating prone to scratches) or something else. I'll tell him to look for the optical scheme and check if there's something backwards, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kaleinar-5N 100 2.8 Reply with quote

cluelessnikonguy wrote:

It was the seller who disassembled it, he knows his stuff but I can't be certain of course. I gave it back to him who said he'll look into it, hopefully it's as simple as that. I wanted to get some opinions on the problem to understand if it was a faulty lens, a multicoating problem (I've read that this lens has a really soft coating prone to scratches) or something else. I'll tell him to look for the optical scheme and check if there's something backwards, thanks.

It looks like a misplaced element to me, and the fact that the lens was disassembled is a strong factor in favor of this idea.
Coating damage would produce different effects - strange or strong flare, for example.
I have the lens and it's very sharp, so definitely there's something wrong with this one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps forgotten space ring between elements.