Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Orbit 4x5 with Ektar 127 4.7 good price?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Orbit 4x5 with Ektar 127 4.7 good price? Reply with quote

I found a local camera I am interested in its a monorail "Orbit" (Burke and James?) 4 x5 in very good shape save the view glass is broken. It comes with a couple of film holders and a film bag , also the box. They are asking 100 USD. I have been eyeing 4 x 5 and even bought a project camera but this seems close to what I would need to get started. Is that a good price?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good price to get started with 4x5!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockwell had some serious 4x5 pages with tips and I do believe he considers $300 cheap. (Note that film and costs will eat more)

So it sounds like a deal, but how will you focus without a ground glass? It's like, the USP of these bulky expensive cameras. Without it you basically have an unwieldy folder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can replace the glass with the project camera glass I think. Otherwise maybe ebay for 20 to 30 usd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"save the view glass is broken."

This should be very easy to replace as you say, there are several groundglass vendors around.
And its not that hard to make your own.

If you don't want to buy a proper replacement groundglass you can use a sheet of acrylic plastic, sand one side with 800-grit sandpaper.

http://forum.mflenses.com/make-your-own-plastic-groundglass-t35782.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The comment as regards the glass was more aimed at valuation, I am not worried about the replacement as I have a piece in a project camera that should work. Just trying to see if it is a pretty good deal. I definitely want to learn large format view photography, also I was dreaming of maybe buying a used digital back to see if I could make that work. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They are asking 100 USD."

This is a very good price if everything is in reasonably good shape. A bargain. But -

Check the bellows for cracking and the shutter function, as well as the lens for scratches/fog.
These are where a lot of the value lies. Bad bellows means an expensive fix. Shutters can be fixed but unless you know what you are doing you will need to send it to a pro, and that can be costly. Lens fungus and internal fog can be cleaned without too much trouble on the Ektar, these are easy to disassemble, but too many fine scratches on the front element make the lens questionable. Contrast will suffer.

Also note that 127mm has barely any coverage on 4x5. It may not actually cover the film unless you have it at f/16 and you will have no movements.

The 127mm was popular on 4x5 press cameras at the time because they were usually used at small apertures with powerful flash bulbs, because they were a bit "wide" to easily capture a picture, and because it was usual to crop a lot to get the scene you wanted. The philosophy was to get everything in a shot and then publish just the interesting bits.

Also they depended mainly on scale focus and greater DOF. It was a 'snapshot' approach.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have already said - the price is good, especially if the bellows and lens are in working order.
The Ektar has a reputation for sharpness
Don't rush into digital with this. Get some film holders and some film and try your hand at B&W. B&W film is easily available and can be quite cheap. (Fomapan and Shanghai)
You may - like many of us - enjoy the hands on tactile and very rewarding experience of negative and print making the old way.
Have fun
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Judging by the photos on CL it would appear to be in very fine condition but I reallize that sometimes just sitting unused the bellows can dry and shutters can seize. I have sent a request for contact. Unless it has some major unseen flaw I plan to go for it. As far as film I definitely plan to do some of that. I will let you know if I manage to snag it. I will likely be pumping you all for info

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have already said, reasonable price if in good order. If not in good order, pass on it.

Info here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/bj_1.html

The camera is a copy of the 4x5 Kodak Master View. Very capable camera but limited extension (16") so not good for long lenses and bail type spring back that will accept only insertion type roll film holders. This means no relatively inexpensive Graflex brand roll holders for 4x5 cameras with Graflok/International backs. And minimum extension 3 5/8" so marginal (no movements possible) with 90 mm lenses, unusable with shorter lenses.

I don't mean to denigrate the 4x5 KMV and copies. Widely used very capable view cameras, but not modular so not as flexible as more modern designs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a 6x7 or 6x9 back would be a nice accessory .. also sets you back 5 bucks per roll not per image :)

I have no experience with view cameras but people seem to pay well for the lens alone on bay. Seems to depend on the shutter it is in, however.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
As others have already said, reasonable price if in good order. If not in good order, pass on it.

Info here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/bj_1.html

The camera is a copy of the 4x5 Kodak Master View. Very capable camera but limited extension (16") so not good for long lenses and bail type spring back that will accept only insertion type roll film holders. This means no relatively inexpensive Graflex brand roll holders for 4x5 cameras with Graflok/International backs. And minimum extension 3 5/8" so marginal (no movements possible) with 90 mm lenses, unusable with shorter lenses.

I don't mean to denigrate the 4x5 KMV and copies. Widely used very capable view cameras, but not modular so not as flexible as more modern designs.

I had hoped to use it for landscape. Would that be OK?. I reallize it will have limitations for lots of other things. I am completely new to this stuff but would like to explore the perspective thing. From your comments it sounds as though it will only accept a narrow range of FL. 90 with no movements. Obviously 127. How much longer? I am an amateur and this is just hobby stuff for me so I can't really justify a couple grand for linhof system.