Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7 for $912 or Sony A7II for $1425
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Sony A7 for $912 or Sony A7II for $1425 Reply with quote

'Sony A7 for $912 or Sony A7II for $1425usd?' someone over at dpreview is asking this question, and now I am asking that myself Wink
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3773548
These prices can be had in Australia ( Aussi dollar converted to usd ) and, behold!... include both the 28-70mm kit lens and an adapter of choice!

I'll be going to Australia in about one month from now and already have been wondering if the cheap Aussi A7 prices might make me get my first digital FF Wink Had thought to wait until there but the best offers mentioned above say that they are valid until December 28th only.

hm..never had been an early adopter before, don't like that idea all that much, and the A7 is so cheap..

What would you do? Go for A7 or forge out the additional 500 usd for the Mark II?
Or wait and see until middle / end of January to see the offers once in Australia?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the A7

As an A7 user (6 months so far) I've never felt the urge of stabilization

If you plan on the other hand to shot some video then go for the MkII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony A7 for $912 or Sony A7II for $1425 Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
'Sony A7 for $912 or Sony A7II for $1425usd?' someone over at dpreview is asking this question, and now I am asking that myself Wink
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3773548

These prices can be had in Australia ( Aussi dollar converted to usd ) and, behold!... include both the 28-70mm kit lens and an adapter of choice!
I'll be going to Australia in about one month from now, and cheap Aussi A7 prices already have been occupying my mind Wink
Have thought to wait until I'll be there but now these offers and the best ones mentioned above say that they are valid until December 28th only.

hm..never had been an early adopter before, don't like that idea all that much, but these offers are very tempting!
and the A7 is so cheap..

What would you do? Go for A7 or forge out the additional 500 usd for the Mark II?
Or wait and see until middle / end of January to see the offers once I'll be in Australia?

These prices for such a kit are ridiculously low. Just be aware of the small print, like:

Please allow up to 4-6 weeks for delivery from time of confirmation of successful lodgement.

Delivery to be made to Australian addresses only. (Delivery will be completed by Australia Post – Express service)

So if you plan to be in Australia for a considerable time and on a known address this may work very well for you. Just don't expect to walk into a shop and buy the whole kit at once for that price.

Still, those prices make the European "special offer" of 100 euro cashback for the A7 only seem very limited. You could buy the A7 plus metabones EF adapter (unclear whether that is the version III or IV) for less than double the adapter alone would cost in the Netherlands.

Enough moaning. I would get the A7 because the price is so low. Or the A7ii if the IBIS and more solid build/handling are more important to you than the higher price and the extra weight. Or still the A7 because with the low price you can afford to upgrade sooner to the next big thing, such as an A9?/A7iii with many megapixels, IBIS and a silent shutter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick and Dick thank you very much for your thoughts!

hm..I like IBIS. Liked in in my Pentax K-x and with the EVF of the A7 cameras being fixed I won't be able handhold shutter speeds as slow as with my current APS-C mirrorless. Their articulating EVFs let me hold them more stable.
I'd definitely like the better grip!
video..yes, I want to play a bit, but most likely it won't be more than that

but then the smaller and lighter the better for me, and making a 'bargain' A7 a first FF to earlier jump to a future FF model that hopefully fits my bill even better, is an intriguing idea!
I don't like to buy and never have bought a camera before extensively having handled it.

I did fumble with A7/(r/s) bodies and thought that it's handling isn't all that bad but that it could be so much better very easily, the A7II 'looks as if' offering substantial better handling.

I will have a stable local address until the end of february. Delivery date, if not delayed, would be alright. Warranty I believe is 12 month Australia only, some of these cheap online shops sell warranty upgrades, possibly just for longer, not for international

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camerapro shop is based only in Queensland

Here are a few other Aussie sites for comparision,there are no doubt a few more that I don't know of.
http://www.teds.com.au/sony/digital-slr-cameras?limit=all
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/

Kuuan, do you know if you will be traveling to Sydney?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the A7, but I had the A7R. The handling is better on the A7 II, but the "A7 formfactor" is also ok Wink
The IBIS is also very handy here in Norway during the winter because of less light, but you can take good pictures in most situations without. I would have considered the mark II if you can afford the investment, but I guess you will also be happy with the A7.

I like this video of Jason Lanier looking at the mark II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_y01Ow0gI

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
The camerapro shop is based only in Queensland

Here are a few other Aussie sites for comparision,there are no doubt a few more that I don't know of.
http://www.teds.com.au/sony/digital-slr-cameras?limit=all
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/

Kuuan, do you know if you will be traveling to Sydney?

thank's a lot for that Mo.

the price of the camera of teds is a bit high, the seconf one looks alright but I am not sure, like the guy at dpreview says, that these deals throwing in the kit lens for free really also do include the promo offer of choosing one adapter for free, but it looks like the later is a Sony-Aussi thing that is valid for any shop?
Mo, what do you think, the deadline for these offers of December 28th, will that be real, or do you think that similar offers will continue?

Yes actually it is planned that we go to Sidney, just for a few days, most likely during middle of February. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I never had the A7, but I had the A7R. The handling is better on the A7 II, but the "A7 formfactor" is also ok Wink
The IBIS is also very handy here in Norway during the winter because of less light, but you can take good pictures in most situations without. I would have considered the mark II if you can afford the investment, but I guess you will also be happy with the A7.

I like this video of Jason Lanier looking at the mark II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_y01Ow0gI

hm, that video sure makes it's case for the A7II Wink ( amazing that he never looked through the EVF though )
I am sure that I'd fancy the new grip. I used to do a lot of lowlight, lately less so but sure I'd take advantage of the IBIS

Ok, I have to talk with my Aussi friend first, and then try to decide before December 28th Wink
..which feels like an impossible task. For once I am still happy with my cams, thought that I would be waiting for a model that comes closer to my ideal, also because I have never handled the Mark II. I 'can' afford it, but prefer to buy cheap Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the original A7 has a nighttime flare issue that has been fixed on the A7 II (might not be a big deal but worth mentioning)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padam wrote:
Also the original A7 has a nighttime flare issue that has been fixed on the A7 II (might not be a big deal but worth mentioning)

oh, so that 'issue' was 'consistent' with the A7! is it just the A7 or other of the A7 'line' too?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Lars I am very curious how much more hefty the mark II, as compared to the earlier body, feels to you!

Comparing numbers at camerasize.com width is the same, markII is just a tad higher, above all has more 'depth', that's the grip, and weighs abt. 150 grms more. From there I take it that besides the grip the A7II is not much bigger, that it wouldn't occupy much more space inside my waist bag, just would make it heavier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the deadline is real,it would cover the boxing day sale time period.There may be only one or two items in stock...you know drumming up business for the crazy sales. But that's me being skeptical of sales practices over here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Lars I am very curious how much more hefty the mark II, as compared to the earlier body, feels to you!

Comparing numbers at camerasize.com width is the same, markII is just a tad higher, above all has more 'depth', that's the grip, and weighs abt. 150 grms more. From there I take it that besides the grip the A7II is not much bigger, that it wouldn't occupy much more space inside my waist bag, just would make it heavier.

The grip is considereble better than the rest of the A7 bunch IMO Wink
The mount is also more sturdy and the shutter button has a more natural placement!

There is one drawback that havn`t been mentioned anywhere yet and that is the viewfinders placement more to the center of the camera on A7 mark II versus A7. This makes the nose rubbing more of the screen Confused

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! I like IBIS too. Is it worth half of the camera price or $500? Hell no. A7 at such prices looks like no-brainer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Whoa! I like IBIS too. Is it worth half of the camera price or $500? Hell no. A7 at such prices looks like no-brainer.

haha, right! the A7II also means being early adapter, the A7 should be the more clever buy, specially if I'd resell later.

how about the freebe adapter? The Metabones that does AF with EOS lenses, or the Sony that does the same but better with Minolta Sony A mount lenses? I tend towards the Sony adapter, but most likely hardly would use either and wonder which one would be easier to sell?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I would say the deadline is real,it would cover the boxing day sale time period.There may be only one or two items in stock...you know drumming up business for the crazy sales. But that's me being skeptical of sales practices over here.

yes Mo, I must research on the shops before ordering. Most cheap offers only are preorders anyway, no stock yet!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
fermy wrote:

haha, right! the A7II also means being early adapter, the A7 should be the more clever buy, specially if I'd resell later.

how about the freebe adapter? The Metabones that does AF with EOS lenses, or the Sony that does the same but better with Minolta Sony A mount lenses? I tend towards the Sony adapter, but most likely hardly would use either and wonder which one would be easier to sell?

Well, I would go for Canon purely on the basis that there is a lot more Canon lenses out there and they are more interesting, although ultimately it depends on how much better "better" is in practical terms.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with legacy lenses , the Sony is a clear winner.
I have no problem with the A7´s ergonomy and the A7 is more comparable to a legacy SLR. It is lighter too.
I am not happy that they decided to make so many changes like those 2 buttons on the top. Having both bodies could be confusing.
The stabilization is a great plus for the II , I recognized.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I have no problem with the A7´s ergonomy and the A7 is more comparable to a legacy SLR. It is lighter too.
I am not happy that they decided to make so many changes like those 2 buttons on the top. Having both bodies could be confusing.

for AF legacy lenses the Sony adapter is better, right?

from fondling it I found the A7 to be one of the better handling cameras, but the II has upgrades it called for. I like small though.
Must say I hate the mock prism, consider an articulating EVF a 'must' for 'my camera'.

May still not buy at all! I am happy with my cams, easily could wait another 2 years before buying a FF model that is more to my liking. Bargain prices are tempting though, anybody push me please?

Layout whichever, it would be my first A7 anyways. Normal operation should become 'automatic'.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading reviews about online camera shops in Australia give reason for concerns, most seem to sell items without having them in stock. delivery is uncertain, correspondence unreliable.
if it finally would arrive in perfect order I am fine..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
memetph wrote:

for AF legacy lenses the Sony adapter is better, right?

from fondling it I found the A7 to be one of the better handling cameras, but the II has upgrades it called for. I like small though.
Must say I hate the mock prism, consider an articulating EVF a 'must' for 'my camera'.

I have no practice with AF adapters on the A7. I was thinking about MF lenses.
Compared to Canon SLR , the A 7 is for me superior as you can adapt almost every SLR legacy lens. The viewfinder works very well under real aperture . Focusing is easy. Exposure correction in the VF. A very good view finder in my opinion...sehr goat sucha.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

I have no practice with AF adapters on the A7. I was thinking about MF lenses.
Compared to Canon SLR , the A 7 is for me superior as you can adapt almost every SLR legacy lens. The viewfinder works very well under real aperture . Focusing is easy. Exposure correction in the VF. A very good view finder in my opinion...sehr goat sucha.

thank you Memeth for your thoughts.

I am well aware of the superiority of mirorless cams, of the E mount in particular, to adapt lenses, their EVF, which are 'sau guat' Wink, focusing asf. This because I am and have been using Sony NEX5N and Ricoh GXR M mount ( both with their optional EVFs ), even have completed a good lens selection of small rangefinder glass to go with them.
The question is if the good Aussi offers will make me jump to FF, the A7 or A7II. ( and I decided, see below Wink )

For manual lenses I have all the adapters for my NEX5n that will work on a A7.
However among the free adapters I can choose via redemption from Sony Australia there are two which are much more costly than the others, a Metabones adapter that autofocuses Canon EOS lenses and a Sony adapter ( LA-EA4 ) that autofocuses old Minolta and new Sony A mount AF lenses via translucent mirror technology as in Sony SLTs. I believe that the second autofocuses much faster than the first, and I reckon that Minolta AF lenses still sell rel. cheap. Therefore I think that I should prefer the Sony, however I wonder which is easier to resell, and a new Metabones does most usually sell for 50 usd more than the Sony.

Some shops are giving an additional 10% 'boxing day' discount valid for order until end of 28th of December. So I just finished my order! Smile A7 + 28-70 kit lens + ( hopefully, not 100% clear on the order ) free Sony adapter via redemption, total cost incl. shipping just under 1000 AUD, that is 820 usd, incl. ( bad ) conversion it cost me 700 Euro Smile Wish me good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a good deal,you are so lucky with the exchange rate in your favour Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
It sounds like a good deal,you are so lucky with the exchange rate in your favour Cool

thank's Mo, I hope so. Well, the Euro has not been doing well neither. Calculated by online exchange rate it would make about 665 or 670 Euro, but I paid with paypal and their conversion rate made it 700.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Servus Kuuan,
According to what I read on other forums, the AF with EOS lens can be very slow or even uneffective with some lenses.
My feeling is that then buying an EOS lens could be a bet.

Guat net goat. na kloaa!