Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SRGB versus Adobe RGB on PC & Mac.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: SRGB versus Adobe RGB on PC & Mac. Reply with quote

Evidently pics uploaded to Web view differently on PC opposed to Mac.I have uploaded this pic(also in Gallery) in SRGB and Adobe RGB and would be interested if PC owners see any difference in colour shift,I perceive a shift in Reds 0n SRGB on my Mac.I should mention my monitor is calibrated with Spyder 4Pro.

First is SRGB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see more saturated reds and greens on the bottom photo in a non-properly-calibrated dell monitor.

P.S. The browser need to support color management to see the difference.
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pot in AdobeRGB shot is more saturated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,posters please state which one they prefer and state if they are on PC or Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows here, cheap screen, not calibrated. I like the adobe rgb version.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd Gen iMac screen calibrated via internal software. The Adobe image is more vivid overall with the red,purple and green influenced the most. I opened the images in their own tabs (Firefox) and switched back and forth. You can really see the difference that way. My preference is the Adobe but it's a small difference to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can tell this shot was full bright sun behind camera from right and therefore to me the Adobe seems more realistic.It is interesting to note that although there is a difference it does not seem to be enough that the difference between viewing on PC or Mac in either format is a problem.However when sending out for printing it is necessary to know whether printer uses wet or dry process,SRGB for wet Adobe RGB for dry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC, Win, not-calibrated screen at work and in browser (Opera) second has more saturated colours. Downloaded and view in pic-browser (ACDSee) = first and second version are indistinguishable and both looks like first one in browser.

It's not important which picture I prefer as the Adobe RGB is displayed wrongly in browser. You just should make sure that pics have embedded colour profiles (and it's supported by browser) and in my opinion posting photos in Adobe RGB for web view is bad choice. If you prefer more vivid colours, just make photo that way in your graphic program (even working in Adobe RGB, LAB or whatever colour space you prefer) and while saving for internet use just export it as sRGB.
sRGB is well supported by every browser at both Mac and PC so it will only matter how's the screen at particular computer calibrated (or not).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewing on this site with Firefox - which is supposed to be colour managed - the two images are very similar. Monitor is Dell U2410 - which claims to cover 97% AdobeRGB - with Spyder 3(Puck)/4(Software) calibration.

Opening in an editor and switching between the two images makes it easier to see the differences - the AdobeRGB image is a little brighter. However the differences are small and the two histograms are virtually identical. Can I ask how you obtained the two images ? Did you make two separate edits - in different colour spaces - using a common RAW file ? Or did you edit in one colour space and somehow how change to the second ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different edits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Nice picture(s) BTW.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibrated Dell monitor, Windows 7. The bottom image is more saturated.