Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Trioplan 100/2.8 wide open samples please?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Trioplan 100/2.8 wide open samples please? Reply with quote

Lately I've got my hand on this lens at last...

I have Trioplan 100/2.8 silver, non-V version, number 28009888.

Right now I have extremely dull gray weather so I can only shoot something inside my home. And I am surprised with TOTAL lack of sharpness. Wide open shots give that bubbles in bokeh, but in-focus things are completely blurred. Is this normal for this lens or I was "lucky" enough to get a defective version?

Please, if you own this lens, can you give me a sample pictures of something dull, shot wide open? Something like a cup on your table... I want to compare sharpness with what mine lens gives to me.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my copy for precisely this reason - it wasn't acceptably sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trioplan and Diaplan are sharp enough - on Canon EOS 5D.
It is not a very sharp lens, not recommended wideopen for reprographic like work Smile

On a camera with smaller sensor, or without using the full field of the camera (croping) one loose sharpness.

On my nature photography gallery site you find the the 100% versiones of the images, simply click in the mid of the lower part of the images.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan 100/2.8 is my least sharp lens along with Telemegor 150/5.5 (not 180/5.5!) and Tele-Tessar 250/6.3, maybe a bit sharper than the other two mentioned, but still bad. Also very soft.

Good thing on Trioplan sharpness is you can always compare your results with other users' experince as the lens is common, popular and often tested this way. But for Tele-Tessar 250/6.3, I might never find out whether is its standard or just a bad copy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures....

This is wide open shot. VERY blurred, I'd say that it is unacceptably blurry...

And here what troubles me most. The same shot, also wide open, but I unscrewed the front element a bit, so the distance between 2nd and 3rd lenses became a bit longer. The blur became smaller. So I think the space between these elements is wrong and need to be corrected. Somehow...

If you don't see the difference, click on the pictures and open them in bigger size.

Anyone has an experience of disassembling the back side of Trioplan? How the mount can be taken off this lens?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me that you are simply too close to the subject. The bag behind the mug looks sharper to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am sure the focus is on the mug, I used a "focusing lens" in my camera (SONY A77-2, EVF, can increase the focusing point to give precise manual focus). The bag is just darker with little details so you don't just see it blurred...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Snowcat
The most optimistic diagnose is that your lens is probably decentered, taking into account you didn't provide us the far top right fragment of a FF picture.
I am saying it on the basis of the observation of the characteristic of OOF bokeh shapes (very aberrated) on this fragment of your picture :

My Trioplan 2,8 100 creates this kind of picture then fully opened:

Higher res here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129563138@N03/16478805300/in/set-72157650970429431

macheck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat, That lens looks to me like it has been assembled incorrectly.
Is the middle element backwards?
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_409.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decentering isn't really possible (there's well-fitted, non-adjustable slots for each glass piece) and the middle element can not be flipped. It's pressed fitted into the front optical tube. The back element, however, can be flipped and installed the wrong way. That would be my guess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems your lens has faulty right. To have very sharp quality images need quality light too, take it out and try it in strong sunshine or use flash and look after pictures again, I had many of these lenses none of them was sharp wide open at all , but quality light helps a lot.
I could never handle it well so finally I did always sell them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I was lucky enough to find a person who KNOWS how to repair lenses. And I was even more lucky to see all the process from behind his back.

The problem was, as I thought, in the third element. In this lens, like in many Meyer lenses, the last element should be centered and fixed in it's position by three screws. Instead of these thee screws it was... glued (!!!) into the very bottom of the place it should be hanging in. So it was closer to the second element AND it was decentered.

This was fixed in 1 hour and the miracle happened. My trioplan now shoots as it should from my point of view... Here are a couple of samples from corrected lens (nothing special, just things in my room).

Thanks everyone for their answers, I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for feedback, well done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it's working better now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus is missed but you can see hair on focus. This is scanned from film.

Last edited by oldali on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus is missed but you can see hair on focus. This is scanned from film.

Last edited by oldali on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat it's nice you've solved the problem.
The Trioplan 2.8 100mm is famous for its versatility: stopped down it is sharp lens and at full open aperture it creates rather softish portrait adequate picture and the specialty is the bubbly bokeh.
So if you want to be certain of its performance produce a picture with strong OOF specular lights to get bubbly bokeh and observe its quality: mainly the roundness and distinction of outer boundary.
macheck

PS
The ways of decentralization might be of various origin: the whole lens barrel or one lens or more of them unadjusted by means of lateral shift or angular one or even the same with a diaphragm.
When speaking of old equipment everything is possible since the human creativity is limitless.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I finally got out to perform some tests under the sun with this lens I've managed to repair. And, I must say, the results pleased me very much. The weather is not right for shooting with such a lens as it definitely requires some grass, flowers etc, and we are having the remains of snow yet.

Here is the album http://www.alphatraveller.org/gallery/index.php?/category/103

Every shot has a writing on it with shooting parameters, including aperture (wrote it manually for each shot).

Now I am pleased with wide open performance. It gives dreamy sense, it give bubbles in bokeh AND it is pretty sharp still. Great lens!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Dr Schnaps, great results!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
(especially pic #1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, Wolfgang
thanks a lot! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job snowcat - and very rewarding to solve the problem.

Excellent images dr.schnaps.
I enjoyed your flicker link very much - thank you.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand, thank you!!!

Untitled by dr.schnaps, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diaplan should be no sharper, right? Here is 2.8/100 Diaplan...