Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss ZM Distagon 35/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss ZM Distagon 35/1.4 Reply with quote

Hey all,

my new toy is here and here are some thoughts on my first impressions:

1. Beautiful build quality. Probably the best ZM lens i've handled so far, possibly because all my ZM lenses are black and this is the first silver/chrome ZM lens I handled.

2. No 6-bit coding grooves on the flange. I've been shootign with lens detection turned off but no funky colors on the edges. Or anywhere.

3. Well dampened Focus movement, the throw is short - which is to my taste. The lens does not extend/contract while focusing.

4. Aperture mechanism is also a pleasure to use. I am subconsciously in tune with Leica's 1/2 stop increments, the 1/3 stop increments screw with my brain.

5. Not front heavy on the M240, feels well balanced. Does not tip over when left on a table.

6. VF blockage is more than with my 35Luxes (i haven't mounted the ZM hood on to the lens yet) but since i'm used to shooting with the Noctiluxes / 90 crons / 75Lux, this does not bother me.

7. Zeiss included a distinct bump on the focus wheel. Took a minute to get used to but now I like it, it lets me know where i am (distance) simply by feeling the bump.

8. Both the front and back elements are concave, like the 35LuxASPH v1 and v2

9. The length difference between the 35Luxes and the ZM35/1.4 is more pronounced without the hoods on the Leicas. With the hoods on the Leicas, the length difference seems trivial. The width difference is also clear but i like the Zeiss Bump and the focus throw is short so the increased difference is not bad.

10. To my eyes, there is a slight difference in color between the chrome M240 body and the chrome ZM 35/1.4 lens. The M240 seems a few shades colder whereas the lens seems a few shades warmer.

11. Whatever images I took around the house were impressive. High contrast, saturation, sharpness, neutral bokeh at short distances and the legendary T* coating needs no introduction. The first thing that came to my mind was how similar this lens performance appears to be to my favorite APO50/f2.

12. The dreafully cheap Zeiss front cap hasn't changed. I'm sure Zeiss can allocate Cosina a few extra pennies to improve the quality.

13. I miss a leather carry pouch for the lens. I take good care of my equipment and I wouldn't want bits and pieces inside my bag scraping against each other.

14. The filter size is 49mm which is great news! My APO75/2 also has a 49mm filter size and 35-75 happens to be my fav combo so I can carry single set of filters and use on both the lenses.

15. The T* coating is simply incredible. Reduced flare, ghosting, improved contrast even shot contre-jour. This has tangible benefits in the form of better light transmission, thereby slightly faster shutter speeds. This is the first ZM lens made for Digital cameras but I have a feeling this lens will rock with Film too. I bought a few rolls of Delta400 and Portra400, waiting for an opportunity to get out and shoot.

14. [img]http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20152
/2221_IMG_1361_1.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so so, what lens did you take the pics with? Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Looks so so, what lens did you take the pics with? Cool

iphone Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the latest I-phone? I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Is that the latest I-phone? I'm impressed.

Yes, iPhone 6

Awesome innit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz mate,
Waiting for samples

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss ZM Distagon 35/1.4 Reply with quote

Congrats to Your new & nice toy!
It's concave front lens reminds me at the very first 35 asph. with handpolished lenses... Cool
(ooops, alredy mentionend in pt 8, but I had the same impression!

Hari wrote:
Hey all,...2. No 6-bit coding grooves on the flange...

No problem at all! The Zeisssies (and newer Voigtländers) have a recessed ring in the flange, have a closer look at Yours!

Self coding is no sorcery, if I can, You can too:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-zur-leica-m9/362982-6bit-sensor.html#post2883350

Hari wrote:
12. The dreafully cheap Zeiss front cap hasn't changed. I'm sure Zeiss can allocate Cosina a few extra pennies to improve the quality.

cheap & dimensions better:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/49mm-49-mm-Objektiv-Schutz-Deckel-Kappe-Lens-Fur-Kamera-camera-snap-on-lens-cap-/171657198160?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektivdeckel&hash=item27f790fa50
I did change to this type of caps all my ZF & ZM lenses, they fit much stronger than this Zeiss bullshittish ones. I'll never understand, how they can use the non fixable caps they do..... Crying or Very sad

have fun

unn' nu' seh ich noch uff's Paket, les' die Adress', un kanns net glaube':
Geh mal den Fußweg von der Molkekur runter, vielleicht findest Du den Sche..deckel von meinem 28er Biogon Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very famous online blogger will release my images through his website soon

It will be a 3 part release:

1, Thoughts on the lens and sample images of the lens mounted on the M9, MM and M240 as well as size/weight comparisons between the ZM35/1.4 vs. Leica 35/1.4 ASPH vs. Leica 35/1.4ASPH-FLE.

2. Sample images off the M9, MM and M240 with thoughts accompanying the images.

3. Shoot out between the ZM35/1.4 and the two aforementioned Leica 35mm’s.

Till then, here's a sample processed through LR. Uploaded full size, full res - enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice toy Hari, congrats!!

I like my iphone6 too, great images it does (I have the all manual camera app installed)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I like my iphone6 too, great images it does (I have the all manual camera app installed)

Thank you Klaus!

Coffee at WDF soon?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Thank you Klaus!

Coffee at WDF soon?

Sure, why not. Would like to chat with you again!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic piece and sample! Surprised

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats hari. the contax version was my favorite ever lens. how is this similar/dis-similar to that legend in rendering/design?
tony