Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Odd Westex 135mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Odd Westex 135mm f3.5 Reply with quote

Found this for a tenner at the local charity shop...

It's an old Japanese Preset, and it comes with a screwed on EXA mount. (I think)
It has a ton of aperture blades, and I kinda like weird presets.

Has anybody seen this before? Westex is a rebrand name I think, so I wonder who actually manufactered it?

(Sorry about the crappy photos)

It's very dusty inside, and the focus ring is stiff, but I kinda like it Smile

EDIT, All I could find online was this thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about presets, I just picked up a smaller Kaligar 135/3.5 preset, With M42 mount adapter, from T mount?
My favorite presets are Topcor R, I now have 90/3.5, 135/3.5, 200/4, & 300/5.6(which is a dud it seems) they are all very sharp wide open, and are very smooth in operation and very easy to clean and re-lube.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
...& 300/5.6(which is a dud it seems)...

Have you posted any images yet? I have a thread on the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Not yet!

What thread is this? Searching for "westex" on this forum produces 0 results.
The search function seems to be hopelessly broken Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I know what you mean about presets, I just picked up a smaller Kaligar 135/3.5 preset, With M42 mount adapter, from T mount?
My favorite presets are Topcor R, I now have 90/3.5, 135/3.5, 200/4, & 300/5.6(which is a dud it seems) they are all very sharp wide open, and are very smooth in operation and very easy to clean and re-lube.

Got pics? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
woodrim wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Not yet!

What thread is this? Searching for "westex" on this forum produces 0 results.
The search function seems to be hopelessly broken Sad

I was speaking to Lightshow regarding the Topcor 300mm. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot to post this. I tried it out a few weeks ago, and was rushing around like a headless chicken so didn't manage many Photos.

Here are some test shots though. It's not a contrasty lens, but it has a nice feel to its colour rendition. It can glow a bit wode open, but that's ok. I need to test it more. I added a bit of saturation and fixed WB and curves where needed:

Nice golden light

Bit more overcaset but still nice

Boring subject but check the smooth background!

I have a feeling this is a useful lens for softer/gentler scenes, in terns of smooth rendering of background and dreamy subjects. I would like to try some portraits as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those shots look encouraging - the first one has that nice 'dreamy' look. I wouldn't worry about who made it, just keep on taking more photos !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will play with it a bit more. The sun is starting to come out which offers more opportunities for testing. Smile