Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 105mm F2 - m42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Komura 105mm F2 - m42 Reply with quote

This nice lens has been on my shelf far too long Very Happy

Last edited by Nordentro on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to sound inflammatory I think your talent exceeds the lens' ability,perhaps it should stay on the shelf.
Apologies if this comes across as negative, I'm only venturing constructive criticism as I perceive it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Without wishing to sound inflammatory I think your talent exceeds the lens' ability,perhaps it should stay on the shelf.
Apologies if this comes across as negative, I'm only venturing constructive criticism as I perceive it.

You are most probably right....

But on the other hand, he can probably make good out of any lens...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh Lars,

you're in Attila footsteps! Not only have you both beautiful wifes, you're also wonderful portrait photographers!
Excellent work!

That 2nd one is absolutely amazing!

Chapeau!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens can I can confirm it is a very good performer even my copy has full of fine cleaning marks on the rear element.

This is a pretty good and I recalled this is the first time I see your studio portraits with your wife. There are infinite possibility in a studio. You could try different backdrops/light modifiers or use different numbers lights. I have seen many great photos from take on low light. It might be worth to try some low key photos next time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with the lens, I think it renders nicely, seems sharp enough, color looks good, what more can you ask for?

very nice shots.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I do agree on the lens, nice for portraits, good performer it seems.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Lars.
I like the one with split background.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Very nice Lars.
I like the one with split background.

That is "shopped" Lars, isn't it? The shadows don't fit the left side...
Nice idea tho, very stylish colors.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! I am still developing my skills with studio photography!
I am in a stage where I try different light setups, modifiers, backgrounds and "gels".
Split background is just done in post (tried to be creative Very Happy )

Studio photography may look impressive (it did to me before I tried it), but it is not that difficult really. It is just about learning to control the light Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lens is exactly right for this kind of work. Sharp enough to show interesting "human" detail, but not so sharp it becomes a distraction.

Excellent work! In fact I liked it so much I had a look at Ebay prices, to see if if I should hunt one down. BIG MISTAKE.
The prices made me cry a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a software called set.a.light 3D which allows emulate a studio on a computer. You could try the test version for 15-Days.
https://www.elixxier.com/en/products/setalight3d.php

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful portraits of a beautiful young lady. I presume they were taken at f/2. Seems just right for portraits. My old eyes see very good sharpness, yet still acceptable for portraits. I have been a fan of Komura as some will remember and I have several lenses that I very much like. However, as much as I would love to try the faster ones, their prices remain very high, and despite my appreciation for Komura, I think too highly priced. It must be the rarity that keeps them up there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Lars,

Looks like a very capable lens to me. That third shot is awsome Very Happy

Could you put up a shot using the same basic setup with one of your 105 Sankor's, Ill bet we will all get a surprise. If it is not too

much trouble Lars. You and your family are awesome.

Regards,

Gavin