Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

helios 44 + sony a7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: helios 44 + sony a7 Reply with quote

Out with the dogs in the fine spring weather. On the camera was a good old helios 44-2.
I tried to make a film-like tone curve with the images.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I don't know if a high-end modern lens can do better than this but damn those look good! Can't be beat the price-results ratio for sure!

On the other hand I do find the bokeh distracting on the second and third photos, where the background is not far enough and the lens can't make it smoother it turns out pretty harsh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah they are so cheap I've ended up with 4 somehow!

I like the swirly bokeh most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good !

I've yet to try mine on the ɑ7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are beautiful Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, I've only used my early 44 on my A7r, I really like the results.
Give it a shot Mir, I think you'll like it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, it's easy to overlook this lens!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....?
time to get her off the shelf.
Smile
Great photos!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these. I have one on order from Ukraine to use on an A7 and will be waiting some time for delivery. It is nice to have an example of what I have to look forward to while I wait.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good shots! The helios-44 is always a good performer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you like them! Yes get them off the shelves or out of the cabinets, that's the spirit! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Yashica 50/1.4 keeps taking over but I am going to start carrying the Helios with me!!

Great shots & subtle PP Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos are super neat! Great job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice shots!

i also think that the bokeh of the distant backgrond in the first shot is most pleasing in these shots.

how did you do the tone curve to get the film-look you were after?

all colours separately?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the feedback! My screen is not calibrated so it's nice to hear it works reasonably well.

chris_zeel wrote:
very nice shots!

i also think that the bokeh of the distant backgrond in the first shot is most pleasing in these shots.

how did you do the tone curve to get the film-look you were after?

all colours separately?

I used Photo Ninja raw converter, with the option to not use any color profile. Then manually adjust all of the hues.
Then there is an option to turn off all of the exposure settings, leaving a dark low contrast image, but it has a lot of dynamic range. Exported as tiff and opened in Photoshop, where I used the curves tool to boost brightness and contrast, while being careful not to clipp highlights or shadows. There is not much work done on the individual color channels except minor adjustments if something looks weird.

This image is right out of Photo Ninja with the settings described, it was taken with only -0.3 exposure compensation.
[/img]