Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Promaster 60-300mm F4-5.6 Zoom Macro.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Promaster 60-300mm F4-5.6 Zoom Macro. Reply with quote

I bought this lens on Ebay and found that the macro doesn´t work as in other lenses. The nearest I can come an object with this lens is about 2 meters, and the image is not 1:4.

Any other here with the same experience?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with that one but I had a Tamron 60-300. The usual Tamron green/magenta fringe. I sold it. It had that macro gimmick. I couldn't get to call it a macro. 1x4 is not even a close up in my book.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Promaster,
I suspect there is a macro mode on that somewhere. If not then 1:4 is what you get.
Promaster was a very low cost brand.
Marketing.

As for the Tamron 60-300 23A, well, we all have opinions I guess. I find it a very useful, practical walkabout lens. It has a macro mode at 60mm, and that way it focuses down to 1 foot from the film plane, a marked 1:1.55 , which isn't 1:1 but nothing to sneeze at; it also does 1:2 at 300mm, at which it focuses down to 6 feet, which is rather hard to use, but if you need an extreme closeup of something through a shop window or behind a velvet rope, its possible.
Its not a macro lens really, but in a casual case it can do a very good job of pretending to be one.
I have had excellent success with this as a general purpose walkabout zoom, with performance at 300mm as good as or better most old primes at f/5.6. You can be shooting the Blue Angels airshow one moment and some bumblebee the next, both reasonably well.
Combine with the Tamron 13A 24-48 and you have a very capable 2-lens kit for nearly any case. Well, maybe you will need your 50/1.4 also, for romantic portraits of beautiful women in dark cafes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 23A has a real macro, but it is a different lens. It goes from f:3.8-5.4. The Promaster, Soligor and Tokina (which are the same lens but rebranded) are f:4--5.6.