Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Correctly using my auto flash
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Correctly using my auto flash Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a sony a6000 and a nikon sd-80dx flash (that I am mostly using in manual mode). This flash has an auto ability (I think this was a bit before ttl came into game) that can independently of the camera calculate the right flash power.

I have synced it with the camera making always sure that my cameras shutter speed would kill any ambient light. The shots I got that were mainly lit by my flash were quite accurate.. meaning perhaps that the auto mode of my flash is doing the job nicely.

The way I am working with it, and I want some comments if I can do it better is to
(for indoor places) pick a low iso on my flash and on my camera. On camera keep the same aperture and shutter speed and start with the same iso with my flash.
Typically I bounce the flash over the walls that this normally eats two or three stops. I found it faster taking iso from 100 to 400 fast enough to compensate for this loss without changing dof or shutter speed.

Does this sound a reasonable approach to use a flash in auto mode (no ttl)
Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First don't set the shutter speed of the camera any higher than the flash sync speed which in the case of your X700 is a 1/60th or cut-off will occur. Your digital camera will have a max shutter speed too. Check the manual.

Don't change the ISO settings if you are using film, use the aperture recommended by the flash for the speed of the film. If you have a flash with a bounce head and the sensor points to the subject then leave well alone. Changing ISO and aperture settings between shots will eventually confuse you and result in bad exposures.

Otherwise it seems you are doing well, considering you are ignoring everyone's advice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by ignoring anyone's advice?
I always pay special attention to what you write Embarassed
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not everybody Alex. Others write their piece to help you and it seems, to me, that sometimes you just go along your own path anyway. I know you can get different advice from different people and that doesnt help matters I suppose.

I'm sorry if I upset you there was no offence meant.

For anyone else reading this we have been exchanging pm's on a variety of subjects.

However going back to the subject. It would seem that you are making way with your flash photography and embracing auto (non-ttl) as we suggested... Embarassed rather than going down the tortuous manual route.

I apologise once again.
Phil