Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax RF to Leica M39 adapter. Anyone who knows about?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Contax RF to Leica M39 adapter. Anyone who knows about? Reply with quote

Received with some other stuff this nice Contax Sonnar, which came with this adapter to Leica.
But it is a non-focussing one, so picture is sharp only around 3m.
Does anyone know it? It is an old one. The lot of stuff, I bought, was untouched for many years.
It looks originally made.
Anyone out there, knowing about it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing ones sell for over £100. I'd love one. A non focusing one seems a little pointless. Unless you could use it via an M39/M42 ring on a thin helical with a mirrorless.

I'd make an offer for the adapter if you're interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the war, the Wehrmacht used Leicas, but Leitz couldn't supply enough lenses, so Zeiss were ordered to produce Sonnars in M39, it is these M39 Sonnars that were copied by the Russians.

Now, my guess is that Zeiss made this M39 adapter to be able to put existing stocks of Contax Sonars to use in some specific instance. The 3m focus distance suggests something like a passport/identification photograph setup. Imagine a Leica with a bulk roll back and a Sonnar fitted via adapter. Put a mark on the ground 3m from the camera, no need to focus. The ID photos were then produced by simple contact printing of the negative.

During the war, there was a vast requirement for identification papers, passes etc, so it makes sense that there would be a commensurate demand for passport photo equipment.

Just a guess of course, cool item.

Phil, can't you find a battered broken Kiev and remove the helicoid? That's what I did, pretty simple.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestions.
maybe during the time (maybe years) someone will tell me for sure.
Will not part from it, as it seems to be a unique piece.
And hey, it costs me nearly nothing, as it was part of a giant bunch of stuff.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
During the war, the Wehrmacht used Leicas...

Ha Ha, on the other side of the Channel they didn't sleep too:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leica-Cook-Perkins-Adapter-Contax-M39-/281411844471?pt=DE_Photographica_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item418573f977

and this one is able to focus!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
During the war, the Wehrmacht used Leicas...

Ha Ha, on the other side of the Channel they didn't sleep too:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Leica-Cook-Perkins-Adapter-Contax-M39-/281411844471?pt=DE_Photographica_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item418573f977

and this one is able to focus!

It would have made me even happier finding this Cook&Perkins adapter with this lens

Klaus