Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange Korean 200mm f2.8 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Strange Korean 200mm f2.8 lens Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I received this lens with One Spotmatic SP, and I wonder if any of you have seen it before, and if it is a good lens.
Which catches my attention is that in the front ring in the description appears as a (Crestar Auto 1: 3.5 200mm) but in the numbers on the lens the maximum aperture is f2.8, so I was curious and encourage me to ask in this forum.

[img]IMGP9718 by edtool, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMGP9719 by edtool, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMGP9722 by edtool, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMGP9723 by edtool, on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMGP9724 by edtool, on Flickr[/img]

Sorry for my English

Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name plate doesn't match lens nor does cap. I would guess lens is a nondescript japanese 135mm f2.8. Name plate says 200mm f3.5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this !

http://forum.mflenses.com/mirage-korean-make-200-3-5-m42-thanks-peter-t11769,highlight,%2Bkorean.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 / 3.5 is more common on the third party telephoto lenses, if it is 2.8 that would be a bonus.

It looks like M42 so it's probably got a pin to stop down the aperture, hold the pin down and turn the aperture through every click and watch the aperture blades. If the blades move, and the aperture gets smaller for EVERY click of the ring, then it will probably be a 2.8 lens There's 7 f stops on the ring, there should be 7 definite apertures on the blades.

As to who made the lens? If someone has the same lens with another name on it then the mystery might be resolved, but there are a lot of lenses out there with camera store brand names on them, most remain a mystery.
If it's a lens that gives you good results, hey, enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure its not a 2.8.
Its a 200/3.5.
A 200/2.8 would be a rather fat lens, and would not look like this.
I suspect there was a 135/2.8 in that product line, with an aperture ring that was a very similar part, and this is just an error in assembly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I suspect there was a 135/2.8 in that product line, with an aperture ring that was a very similar part, and this is just an error in assembly.

+10

There is a very similar looking 2.8/135 that is very common in the UK at least. It's seen under many brands and is a decent lens.

This 3.5/200 is common too and I've had two or three copies of it. They were okay, but as soon as a good 200mm came along, become redundant and sold on.

This amusing assembly error just shows you the total lack of QC they did, sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your answers, in fact the lens works in all positions.
I'll do some tests if the results are good maybe I'll keep it

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Korean lens i have Karenar 135 F2.8 and i like that lens a lot, very good indead