Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trioplan 50mm and some of its friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Trioplan 50mm and some of its friends Reply with quote

I won quite easily a dusty lot of some German, indicating the items didn't have too lucky life in the past. Price €21.50

So I polished major items a bit, having sort of a good feeling of saving or helping those pretty things to survive. (I love cleaning.)

As I've seen Trioplan 50mm for the first time in my life, I naturally found it so lovely to keep the item eventually. I was angry at first, realizing it is damn Altix mount, but now I see it differently. This might actually help me to understand and face mounting Altix on EOS that was on my missing knowhow todo list for a long time.

The obscure heavy Tele-Tessar 13,5cm is available for any collector interested in, but no wonder it has a really nice piece of fungus Very Happy in MC.

Quite surprisingly, Trioplan might be fungus-free but I don't value its optics high either, having probably the worst front element of all of my lens so far because of adherent dust or what the hell living inside. (The whole lot was even dustier than my December's Primotar.)

Marek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessar is very early coated lens, hard to find any with T from same years. Congrats to your deal!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, apart from a stiff focal ring and funguses the optics is surprisingly fine, almost without scratches, just like some of my optically best lenses. More or less unblemished after polishing which was pretty surprising; good old heavy lens! I'd like to barter it to someone who appreciates and knows how to apply this kind of old lens once.

I had quite a piece of luck on both optics and surface condition so far, the Trioplan optics is something I'm not used to, although it will very likely shoot without serious problems. Just not seller's item any more Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just homemade my very first Altix to EOS Marek version adapter with a big rasper borrowed from a local pub Smile with no need of glue or similar.

However, I still have one question: are there any possible hidden problems I should know about using Altix mount lens on EOS with improved M42 adapter? Or is it basically safe to buy endless number of Altix mount lens? Very Happy

Only thing that crossed my mind is the range between mirror and lens itself might be like 1-5 mm larger than usual.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please share your cleaning / polishing procedure, they look awesome now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Would you please share your cleaning / polishing procedure, they look awesome now.

I would like to know as well!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Autosol paste as has been recommended to me here, not an aluminium type but metal one. I cleaned it roughly and with more strength used on the most of the surface at first to get rid of the major "invisible dirt" (the cloth soon to be black). Then I cleaned carefully the particular rings, especially the worst accessible ones to get the final shine. I also tried to avoid much finger contact for a couple of hours, as the surface was still somehow "wet" (very pleasant to touch, actually) and reacting, but ain't sure it was really necessary.

I found some of lenses to react on polishing better than others, see the great tone of Triotar standing behind Trioplan 100. (Only five or six lenses in the middle was already polished when taking picture.)

Regarding optics, I used pretty standard equipment and not much successfully, as I didn't find how to get focal ring to work properly yet again.

As for Altix to EOS homemade reduction, I used a big stupid borrowed rasper, making simple M42 adapter just enough wide to cram the lens in tightly enough not to loose lens somewhere in the grass Laughing When applying rasper, the edges of adapter also have to be balanced enough to put the lens in narrowly. Didn't test the whole thing outside yet since it's snowing and snowing, but I found my solution even more firm and fixed than standard M42.

(I already ordered some special raspers and polishing sandpapers at my stepfather, an experienced craftsman. Just to make it easier and better looking.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read my 'Yet another Altix conversion' thread for the easy way.

Nice clean up job!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Trioplan in Altix mount and use it on my Nikon. I used one M42 to Nikon adapter for that purpose. It's not looking lovely, but it's working. Happy shooting, it is a nice little lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
I used Autosol paste as has been recommended to me here, not an aluminium type but metal one. I cleaned it roughly and with more strength used on the most of the surface at first to get rid of the major "invisible dirt" (the cloth soon to be black). Then I cleaned carefully the particular rings, especially the worst accessible ones to get the final shine. I also tried to avoid much finger contact for a couple of hours, as the surface was still somehow "wet" (very pleasant to touch, actually) and reacting, but ain't sure it was really necessary.

I found some of lenses to react on polishing better than others, see the great tone of Triotar standing behind Trioplan 100. (Only five or six lenses in the middle was already polished when taking picture.)

Regarding optics, I used pretty standard equipment and not much successfully, as I didn't find how to get focal ring to work properly yet again.

As for Altix to EOS homemade reduction, I used a big stupid borrowed rasper, making simple M42 adapter just enough wide to cram the lens in tightly enough not to loose lens somewhere in the grass Laughing When applying rasper, the edges of adapter also have to be balanced enough to put the lens in narrowly. Didn't test the whole thing outside yet since it's snowing and snowing, but I found my solution even more firm and fixed than standard M42.

(I already ordered some special raspers and polishing sandpapers at my stepfather, an experienced craftsman. Just to make it easier and better looking.)

Thanks for sharing your methods.

Interesting question, were those lenses shiny like that when they were initially produced?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:

Thanks for sharing your methods.

Interesting question, were those lenses shiny like that when they were initially produced?

I bought a tube of Autosol on your recommendation £3.68 inc postage. Saves me getting the bus into town.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing! No excuse anymore for not showing Meyers in its proper glory.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're guys helping me to grow all the time, so I was happy to add my two cents Cool