Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yet again..adapting Altix lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Yet again..adapting Altix lenses Reply with quote

In the previous posts my photos have disappeared. I've been asked to explain again how to do it. Here is my way and I mention a second way.

I want to adapt my Altix lenses to M42, so I can use them on my Pentax, Canons, Minoltas and mirrorless. The FFD of Altix is almost identical to M42 making this an easy adapt and infinity focus can be achieved.

Parts needed: 1x M42 adapter of your choice. I am using a PK adapter here.
Tools: A round sided file, marker pen (sharpie)
Time: 5 minutes.
Method: Mark the top of the adaptor, then line up your Altix lens against the adaptor.
Mark where the bayonets lie against the M42 thread.

Gently file the screw thread down where the marks are. Dont file all the way through the thread. try the lens for fit.

I don't want to mod my lenses permanently, If I did, I'd glue the adaptor on. Or I'd file down the bayonet lugs a little so they'd push into an M42 thread - thats the alternative version.

The lens shown is narrow barrelled so I usually put some blu-tak inside to seal any light leaks and to hold the lens on. A permanent solution would be to run epoxy glue round the tiny gap (on the inside) and paint it black.

adaptor filed down You can see where I marked the adaptor.

Lens tried for fit.

On my Pentax.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil,I have just noticed these Altix lenses...probably a bad thing now you have shown this solution for Pentax Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Tessar on one of my others, its a good performer. Much different than the one supplied with prakticas. I'm finding the longer lenses hard to get. I'd love a small set of Altix lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking and you will get them eventually,such is LBA. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Attila. You can modify any M42 thread like this, and if the filing is done cleanly the original mount can still be used for its original purpose.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this, it's possible I might buy an Altix mount lens one day, as they are pretty common and
inexpensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And bodies are abundant too, and even cheaper!

I have a broken body and I've taken the mount from it and I'm looking at how to make a proper adapter. Although it wont be any good on a DSLR because of the thickness so mirrorless it would have to be.

Hmm, I could attach an M42 mount directly on the back and use my helical. No harm to camera no harm to lens.

I'll show my efforts...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And bodies are abundant too, and even cheaper!

I have a broken body and I've taken the mount from it and I'm looking at how to make a proper adapter. Although it wont be any good on a DSLR because of the thickness so mirrorless it would have to be.

Hmm, I could attach an M42 mount directly on the back and use my helical. No harm to camera no harm to lens.

I'll show my efforts...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever Altix-Pentax adaptation.

However the Altix flange distance is 3mm smaller than Pentax K flange distance. Do keeps it still the focus to infinity?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not smaller. Thats only what the FFD lists say - it is almost exactly the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Now because of you it starts to rise LBA of Altix lenses Twisted Evil
Telefogar, telefogar, telefogar ... it still whispers a voice Evil or Very Mad Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Now because of you it starts to rise LBA of Altix lenses Twisted Evil
Telefogar, telefogar, telefogar ... it still whispers a voice Evil or Very Mad Smile

...and for me too. I've not seen one at a price I want to pay!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
edri wrote:

...and for me too. I've not seen one at a price I want to pay!

+1, but I continue to hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Its not smaller. Thats only what the FFD lists say - it is almost exactly the same.

It is (42.5). But it is on bayonet lugs which you are pushing deep into your mount. That's way you are going a little past infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well. Bookmarked Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

It is (42.5). But it is on bayonet lugs which you are pushing deep into your mount. That's way you are going a little past infinity.

It goes past infinity by such a small amount as to be negligible. You can scale focus and still get sharp images. Of course you could make a paper shim to make it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it is nice coincidence. On the other hand I'm really happy that I've bought Primagon & Telefogar in Altix mount for next to nothing before you've developed and published this ingenious method. Prices have skyrocketed already.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Then it is nice coincidence. On the other hand I'm really happy that I've bought Primagon & Telefogar in Altix mount for next to nothing before you've developed and published this ingenious method. Prices have skyrocketed already.

there has been plenty posts about adapting before this, but a lot of images have gone.

Prices are already high.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry im a bit late to this thread (and new on this forum, Hi everybody Very Happy ), but i was just wondering how the lens is actually attached to the adapter? Do you spin the lens so that the tabs on the mount go into the threads of the adapter?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norzillian wrote:
Sorry im a bit late to this thread (and new on this forum, Hi everybody Very Happy ), but i was just wondering how the lens is actually attached to the adapter? Do you spin the lens so that the tabs on the mount go into the threads of the adapter?

First, welcome to the forum.

That could be done if you used a small hand drill. I may try that myself. Good idea. I normally just use hot glue on the back to hold the lens in. It does the job perfectly well, and pulls off if you need to. This is why I use a K adapter. I use the lenses on my NEX or Pentax, so its all I need.

Permanent glue is an option, so is grinding off the bayonet flanges and pushing them through a M39-M42 adapter and gluing that on. There is plenty of room - you may need to remove the 'pin'. I've not tried that as I don't have a spare lens. I'd rather keep mine original so I can use them on the camera.

I am a bit unhappy about making a permanent mod to any lens unless it can be reversed, or I use it regularly. I have dozens of lenses including about 6 or 7 that I've permanently modified. And after the initial 'shoot' I've never used the since.

Edit: I may add that the lenses I've adapted are from non working rangefinder cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

Oh i see. That's super smart to just use hot glue, and then i imagine one could just tape it with black tape if there's any light leaking.

Thanks for your answer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norzillian wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

Oh i see. That's super smart to just use hot glue, and then i imagine one could just tape it with black tape if there's any light leaking.

Thanks for your answer.

I get no light leaks but I use black coloured hot glue. Yes you can get it in lots of colours.