Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Etched glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Etched glass Reply with quote

Just stripped down a canon fl 50 1.8 to attend to what looked like internal problems with cloudy/fungus marks, but these are in fact on the outside of both the front and rear elements and I cannot shift them, if anything they look worse now they are cleaned.
Is there any point in trying to resurface the glass, and if so what would you recomend trying.
I even swabbed a small area with brick acid cleaner of all things and even that would not touch the opaque areas.

Is this a write off do you think?

Steve.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there is little you can do for the poor old lens.
I am thinking that it isn't worth trying to have it re-ground as these FL and FD lenses are likely to be found cheaper than the cost of the treatment.
A write off, I think.
Pity, as they are very good lenses.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what these lenses are worth but if you like it and would like to keep it,
get a beat up one real cheap and make a good one from the best salvage parts/glass of the two...

Unless they're not worth the trouble...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between usability and resale value. A lens can look like it has dreadful problems and thereby have no market value, but these may have only a marginal effect on performance.
Coating damage, scratches, chips and cleaning marks on front elements may have no effect at all, or only under exceptional conditions. I suggest you try it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay prices are about $30
This one is almost half that.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canon-FL-50mm-f-1-8-Manual-Focus-Lens-From-Japn-/251774447842
I personally would look for the 50/1.4 which can be found under $100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any treatment would almost certainly cost many times the value of a similar lens in perfect condition.
As luisalegria suggests give it a try & see what the results are like and if thats no good see if you can get any use out of it with the problem elements removed!
I've seen recomendations to remove the rear group from a kit 50 to give a soft focus portrait lens (worked with one of my spare Pentax M50/1.7 lenses - though it needs to be extended considerably to cope with the new longer focal length) and elsewhere something on removing front elements to give a macro lens...
If you're as mad as me you might even keep the individual elements & aperture mechanism/mount for 'future projects'