Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Trioplan 75mm 3.5 V
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Minolfan wrote:
If you can mount the lens on correct distance you can still use the original frontlens focusing as that is still available?

I suppose, but wonder what the minimum distance might be. I doubt it is very short, so would like to shorten it up at times... probably more times than not given that the vast majority of my shooting is not at infinity or anywhere near.

Using a helicoid to move the whole lens might be sharper than use front-cell focusing. You might use the combination of two to get different bokeh. For example, focus the lens at one meter and use the front-cell focus to 0.8 meter. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you helped get me get the lens working!

My setup is to use a macro tube to push the lens further. It works! But like woodrim said, the focus range is very small, something like 1 meter. I can use the frontlens focusing as it still works. However, to cover a wider range, a helicoid would help. I will order one on ebay to try this out.

Here is a quick sample, indoor low light. I have to try this outdoor...

Resized down to 25% of original size.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim, i'd like to buy a filter and lens cap for this one, do you know the size?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
The photos seem to show that the shutter has already been disabled.

for me that's too bad. shutter blades can produce nice effect like this

that's from my http://ihyaahsani.blogspot.com/2014/03/meyer-optik-gorlitz-trioplan-7535.html, different with this lens and woodrim's I guess mine is for Welta TLR.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA, what effect did the shutter blades do? I can't see from the photo your poster.

PS: I had to remove my shutter blades because they were broken (don't move) and they were in weird positions inside the lens. So I decided to remove them instead of repair.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ninja star bokeh in the top centre of the image.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo answered it Smile
for bokeh freak like me, that's nice addition

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! LOL funny bokeh effect indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Basilisk wrote:
woodrim wrote:
I too have one very similar to this, but from a Welta folding camera. I've been thinking I can mount it to the front of a long tele lens absent the glass.

The Welta Weltax presumably?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31046950@N04/5414593630

Basically, but the lens has a different shutter - Tempor.

I have this camera - minus the lens. ha ha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens on tubes is a good idea but what I did with one of my old folder lens is glue an M39-M42 ring onto it making it an M42 fit then mount it on one of these focusing helicals. I used an extension tube to get it the right length. now I get infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us what extension tube length you used? And also the length/specs of your focusing helicoid.

Abbazz suggested 36mm-90mm.

Thans!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
My setup is to use a macro tube to push the lens further. It works! But like woodrim said, the focus range is very small, something like 1 meter. I can use the frontlens focusing as it still works. However, to cover a wider range, a helicoid would help. I will order one on ebay to try this out.

woodrim, i'd like to buy a filter and lens cap for this one, do you know the size?

Thanks,

I do not have it in hand yet, so can't say about filter or cap.

I suspect your short range for focusing does not include infinity, correct? I haven't done this before, but expect it is important to first find infinity, then establish the extensions to match. If one of the extensions is a helicoid, then it can be used for closer focusing distances.

Sorry for late reply, I just found my email notice in my spam folder, but do not know why.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Can you tell us what extension tube length you used? And also the length/specs of your focusing helicoid.

Abbazz suggested 36mm-90mm.

Thans!

Abbazz is correct, but I use a Roxsen focusing helicoid for an old folder lens. The 35-90 are only made in M42 - M42.

This is a 27-59mm, Click here to see on Ebay. I use one with a 25 or 30mm extension tube - and its sufficient for my purposes.

This helical attaches directly to your NEX and allows M42 lenses to be used.

I focus using the helical and keep the lens on infinity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out that I have 2 of such lenses now, both converted to M42 mount, both with infinity, both tested.

The first one has no focusing mechanism itself. It's final version looks like this:

It can focus from infinity to 65cm. It's shutter has a T setting, press once to open, press next time to close, so I did not modified it, you just need to keep it open, that's all.

Filter thread is 35mm.

Wide open it gives a dreamy picture. Soft effect fades off when you close the aperture.

Circles are there of course

This is the "low end" trioplan 75... The second one is high end and looks like a spaceship.

This one has it's own focusing helicoid which moves the first element. I added the second helicoid (the black one). BOTH can be used!

It's filter thread is 30.5mm and I've built a "hood" for it (UV filter and CPL filter without glass Smile ).

It is less soft wide open then the first one.

The circles are there too. This is not water like the previous bokeh shot this is shuttered glass so there are less circles here as less shiny point lights are produces by the subject.

By using both helicoids this lens can focus as close as 45cm away from the sensor! This is just great!

Even more pleasant that I can control the character of bokeh by using the front helicoid! Look, the curcles are more pronounced with the front element set to close focus.

Colors are just great on both of my trioplans.

I guess I will sell the first one and keep the second for myself...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can already see all those poor folding cameras waiting in the slaughterhouse...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disassembled only one camera - Beier Precisa IIa. This gave me the second one. The first one was given to me by my co-worker as is - just the lens.

Anyway, this camera was sitting on a shelf for decades without being used. Now the lens will be used for sure as I really like it. I really think this is a better outcome for any thing - to be used rather then to rest on a shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowcat wrote:

Anyway, this camera was sitting on a shelf for decades without being used. Now the lens will be used for sure as I really like it. I really think this is a better outcome for any thing - to be used rather then to rest on a shelf.

I agree, as long as the donor camera isn't a rare collector piece. Mine is removed from a Welta which didn't strike me as anything special. Mine also appears much like your second one as you can see by the photo I provided in this thread. Your results look very promising. Congratulations.

Could you give me the specifics of what you used to achieve the second adaptation? I'm now quite eager to start using it. And the front focusing bonus is great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I will share the setup.

From bayonet to filter: Sony A to M42 adapter, 7mm M42 macro ring, 17mm-31mm M42 to M42 focusing helicoid, M39 to M42 ring, hand made aluminium adapter from native small screw to M39, then the lens itself and the hood made from two filters.

The fishy part is that homemade thing converting native m32 (maybe m32.5) to m39. I have only one such thing and I got it accidentially, among other random parts of lenses from my co worker...

But I managed to assemble two of such lenses. The second is made from old and dirt_cheap lens Industar 50. You can get a copy of Industar 50 in bad condition alsmost for free here in Russia. I took the outer part of it's helicoid, a piece of a wire of proper diameter and inserted the mount of trioplan in that helicoid, filling the space between them with that wire. Not as elegant as the first variant but it works and it's very strong. You just need a correct piece of a wire. I used a standard computer wire and had to forcefully insert it with a screwdriver in between of the lens and Industar's helicoid. The other side of the helicoid is standard m39 or m42.

Here is helicoid - http://www.ebay.com/itm/121230262149?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Here is I50 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industar-50-Russian-rangefinder-3-5-50mm-M39-Lens-RED-P-/181699692155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4e25467b

Hope that helped! Feel free to ask anything else if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. After I start looking into it, I may contact you again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last I have blooming flowers everywhere around me when I go for any walk. And I am taking my half hand made trioplan with me. And I must say I am quite happy with this cosmic looking lens.

Still have no "circles"-in-bokeh like photos but working in it Smile