Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 2.8/100 Series E - made by....?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Nikon 2.8/100 Series E - made by....? Reply with quote

Following on from 480sparky's (http://forum.mflenses.com/first-test-shots-with-the-kiron-70-150-f-4-t69976.html) thread on the Kiron 70-150 which also appeared as a Nikon, I went on to read elsewhere that many series E lenses were made by Kiron for Nikon.
I cannot find any reference to the makers of the 2.8/100 series E Nikon.
Was this made by Kiron, Nikon or some other third party.
I realise that it makes no difference to how it performs - which is very well BTW - but as a part of photographic lens history it is interesting to find out parentage.

Here are some images courtesy of:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/emfgfg20/eserieslenses/htmls/100135mm.htm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon 2.8/100 Series E - made by....? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Following on <the> thread on the Kiron 70-150 which also appeared as a Nikon...

That cannot possibly be true. Kiron is 70-150 f/4, 13 element in 9 groups, MFD 0.8m, 1:4 magnification, Nikon is 75-150 f/3.5, 12 elements in 9 groups with a rather different optical scheme, MFD 1m and 1:5 magnification. It is not the same lens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon 2.8/100 Series E - made by....? Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

That cannot possibly be true. Kiron is 70-150 f/4, 13 element in 9 groups, MFD 0.8m, 1:4 magnification, Nikon is 75-150 f/3.5, 12 elements in 9 groups with a rather different optical scheme, MFD 1m and 1:5 magnification. It is not the same lens.

Yes, that did occur to me but I found that in an online reference:
http://www.bythom.com/75150lens.htm

Perhaps the whole notion of E series lenses being made by someone else was started by the lack of a Nikkor branding on the lens itself.
Of course this might only be internet scuttlebut, but it would be good to get a definite answer from someone in the know.
Thanks
OH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, what does it matter who owned the precise factory they came out of?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

In the scheme of things, not one bit.
However it is as interesting as who made that Soligor or who made that Vivitar.
These curiosities are oft explored on this forum - and I am curious
OH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 2.8/100 Series E - made by....? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Yes, that did occur to me but I found that in an online reference:
http://www.bythom.com/75150lens.htm

That web page did not proclaim Kiron, but a Kiron-obsessed responder made the claim in a comment. This is how these kind of rumors propagate. Gotta be careful not to believe everything you read on the web.

BTW, I've owned all the E-Series lenses over time, but the only one I have kept is the 100/2.8. Great lens. Very different from the 100/2.5, it has a sense of easy functionality that can't be beat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russians?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 2.8/100 Series E - made by....? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Perhaps the whole notion of E series lenses being made by someone else was started by the lack of a Nikkor branding on the lens itself.
Of course this might only be internet scuttlebut, but it would be good to get a definite answer from someone in the know.
Thanks
OH

My understanding is the word Nikkor was omitted because of distinctly cheaper design - if you've ever been inside one of those lenses and seen those godawful cheapo helicoids you know what I mean. Basically, they did not want to dilute the brand.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

In the scheme of things, not one bit.
However it is as interesting as who made that Soligor or who made that Vivitar.
These curiosities are oft explored on this forum - and I am curious
OH

Curiosity is cool, I just wondered if there was some specific reason for needing to know the maker. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I just wondered if there was some specific reason for needing to know the maker. Wink

Resale value?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Russians?

Sorry my mistake, Kiev Arsenal (Kaleinar) is Ukraine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding E Series, at least the 50/1.8 was Nikon (and then became the normal one, according to Marco Cavina: http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Nikkor_lenses_by_Sei_Matsui/00_pag.htm ).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon 2.8/100 Series E - made by....? Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

Yes, the Nikon 75-150 and Kiron 70-150 lenses are different designs. However, Kiron did make the Nikon version for them, per, their specs. Both, deliver superb results.