Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CY Zeiss 50mm f1.4/S-M-C Takumar 50mm so equally
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: CY Zeiss 50mm f1.4/S-M-C Takumar 50mm so equally Reply with quote

Hello!
I took some boring comparison shots with my new Planar and fairly new favorite Takumar at f1.4 and f2.
They produce remarkably equally images, contrast, sharpness and colors are identical.
Takumar have better sharpness a bit from the center at f1.4 and Zeiss have little colder and more right whiteness of the images,Otherwise it could be the same lens.....both are among the best of course
It remains to see how the Zeiss performs when I try to take "real" pictures with it but right now it does not provide the same wow that I got with the Planar 50mm F1.7 I owned a few years ago.

What are your experiences with these two, I have owned three S-M-C Takumars and they were equivalent is my Zeiss a Lemon or is the Takumar underestimated (it's much better than I had expected I previously owned Pentax M 50, A50 and FA50 and the Takumar have better contrast at f1.4 than these.)
/Sverker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My super takumar behaves remarkably well in the center wide open, I think this is the main reason for its popularity.
I don't have a planar 1.4/50, but comparing the tak to my planar 1.7 it comes really close, falling just behind in terms of microcontrast (which plays a big role in perception of crispness) and quality of the coatings - where it must be said that the planar is more recent, and my tak not even smc.
But, when comparing "good" fifties from well known makers (and not only from those), often differences are really subtle, as all perform pretty well in standard conditions, so I'm not extremely surprised by your findings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SMC K 50/1.4 is very sharp, probably my best pentax 50, and in the top 5 in my collection.
The Planar 50/1.7 I had was very average.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a long time Pentax user, but never had the wow factor the Planar 50/1.7 gives me. Could be the T* coating/microcontrast. The Planar 50/1.7 is a bit sharper then the 1.4. I have seen a comparison with the AF Pentax-F 50/1.7. That lens came very, very close to the Planar in sharpness.
However, I would love to see a comparison between the Contax 85/1.4 and the SMC Takumar 85/1.8. Haven't seen one yet.
RemcoR