Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M mount lenses, stay or go?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: M mount lenses, stay or go? Reply with quote

Folks, I have some wider lenses in M mount that don't really cut it with my A7, namely the CV 15mm,Zeiss 18mm,CV 35mm f1.2 and 35mm 2.5. The CV 50mm f1.1 seems to be ok though but I haven't used the Canon 50mm f1.2 on FF yet.
All work fine within the APS-C 'limitations' of my Fuji X camera but I have alternatives that do a very similar job.
I originally used the M mounts on my Epsom which has been sold due to me having bigger issues focusing. Hence I shall be using the excellent peaking on the Sony and also a move towards A/F lenses in the future.
Are they worth hanging on to in the event of future bodies having the correct sensor alignment, will that be coming in the next couple of years?
Or, shall I shift them on, buy a 16-35 zoom and/or further AF primes with the money gained?
Thoughts? I've got a fair bit of glass gathering dust so to speak. The SLR lenses I have present no problems for my usage .
I much prefer to use FF as it's what I've been used to for 20 years or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M mount lenses, stay or go? Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Folks, I have some wider lenses in M mount that don't really cut it with my A7, namely the CV 15mm,Zeiss 18mm,CV 35mm f1.2 and 35mm 2.5. The CV 50mm f1.1 seems to be ok though but I haven't used the Canon 50mm f1.2 on FF yet.
All work fine within the APS-C 'limitations' of my Fuji X camera but I have alternatives that do a very similar job.
I originally used the M mounts on my Epsom which has been sold due to me having bigger issues focusing. Hence I shall be using the excellent peaking on the Sony and also a move towards A/F lenses in the future.
Are they worth hanging on to in the event of future bodies having the correct sensor alignment, will that be coming in the next couple of years?
Or, shall I shift them on, buy a 16-35 zoom and/or further AF primes with the money gained?
Thoughts? I've got a fair bit of glass gathering dust so to speak. The SLR lenses I have present no problems for my usage .
I much prefer to use FF as it's what I've been used to for 20 years or so.

Really the exact dilemma which caused me do buy an M9, the best decision I've ever made in photography, though painful.

As you know, the issue is very simple. The Sony's thick cover glass imbues it's own field curvature on short register wides at infinity. I did find the 35/1.2 to be good on my A7. I have to think somebody is going to get a clue in this regard shortly and give us the proper thin cover. The thick one nullifies the A7 series strong point: smaller form factor, and requires the use of larger lenses, or very special ones designed to work with the processor.

Frankly, I would seriously consider an M9 which is down to about 3k and murders all the sonys in terms of clarity and color. With your lens set it will do any light. Leica will give you a new sensor for free when/if the one you get delaminates, indefinitely. It's a much tougher camera also.

I have both. Often I will take the wides on the M9, and 50s and up on the Sony.

DSC06189 by unoh7, on Flickr

If that's not an option the huge 16-35 seems the only alternative at the moment. At 28 there is nothing really, except perhaps the "hollywood". Big heavy SLR options, still imperfect.

And just to remind you of what your ZM 18 can do:

Close Sentiment by unoh7, on Flickr

The M lens alternatives (including LTM and Contax/Nikkor), taken as a whole, from classics pre-WW2 to the latest zeiss, CV , and Leica lenses, well....all other mounts pale. The M9 loves every single one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Uhoh7, admittedly, using wides and ultra wides mitigates focusing issues I am now having with poorer eyesight I'm not sure I could justify the extra cost on another system (I have an Xpro-1 as well c/w Zeiss 12 and 32 primes and the Fuji 18-55 zoom).
If money wasn't an issue for what would be ,competitively speaking, a niche product for me I'd be all over the M9 like a rash. I loved the CCD sensor in my Epsom and that type of sensor in a FF Leica RF is a wonderful pairing. If Leica could only offer live view or a very good focus confirmation with the M9 that could sway the issue some time. And I would get to keep my M mount lenses. I really do like the 18mm and 15mm lenses and they are best used on FF, at least for my purposes. I have done a few shots today with the CV 35 f1.2 and noticed vignetting on some of the shots hence my post, I like to use lenses at the 'correct' focal length, it's just a force of habit.
Sighs, I kind of expected that reply, not that this is in any way a criticism but you echoed my thoughts..... Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Thanks for the reply Uhoh7, admittedly, using wides and ultra wides mitigates focusing issues I am now having with poorer eyesight I'm not sure I could justify the extra cost on another system (I have an Xpro-1 as well c/w Zeiss 12 and 32 primes and the Fuji 18-55 zoom).
If money wasn't an issue for what would be ,competitively speaking, a niche product for me I'd be all over the M9 like a rash. I loved the CCD sensor in my Epsom and that type of sensor in a FF Leica RF is a wonderful pairing. If Leica could only offer live view or a very good focus confirmation with the M9 that could sway the issue some time. And I would get to keep my M mount lenses. I really do like the 18mm and 15mm lenses and they are best used on FF, at least for my purposes. I have done a few shots today with the CV 35 f1.2 and noticed vignetting on some of the shots hence my post, I like to use lenses at the 'correct' focal length, it's just a force of habit.
Sighs, I kind of expected that reply, not that this is in any way a criticism but you echoed my thoughts..... Cool

I think you will find the M9 (or MCool easier to focus than and Sony A7, with some practice, if you do ever decide to go that way. After a year with the M9 my hit rates are far higher at all speeds with the M9 than my A7.

35 and wider, especially past f/4 you don't even need to use the RF patch, because the focus throws on most all your M lenses are identical, and with practice you know exactly where they are. With the ZM 18 you almost can't miss LOL.

The M9 is also much easier on my eyes than the A7, which will give me headaches. It did take me several months of practice to really prefer the RF viewfinder, but today it's the Sony at which I gasp when using Smile

BTW M8 is fantastic camera, 8.2 prefered because you need filters for color on the early one. I see them around 1500 US all the time, and they love your 15. Crazy sharp too, with the thinnest cover glass ever on a digital camera sensor. APS-H also 1.3x instead of epson 1.5x

hope you find something to work well Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wider lenses work well on the A7s, so you might find that they improve on future cameras. I have the CV15 and it went from usable only with correction on the A7R (and the vigneting was a problem for exposure) to not really needing correction on the A7s for general use. The CV21mm f1.8 also went from severe vigneting to not. A lot of people like the cv f1.2 but I don't have it so cant comment. I cant imagine selling my cv 15mm, I love its tiny size/weight (I have the LTM).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So now I look at selling some SLR lenses and maybe my collection of manual bodies to part finance an M9. Damn me and my daft questions. Then again, I have no use for the 560mm Leica tele, I just much prefer acquiring lenses as opposed to selling them.
I want my old job back !
I wouldn't buy an A7s though, a couple of years down the line and who knows what might turn up? I do like the simplicity of Leica cameras, aperture,shutter speed, what else do you really need in a body that couldn't be done with a computer PP program? Except autofocus of course. My eyes!!!! Shocked
It has to be FF though, I'm used to that format and a bit of a Luddite when it comes to change,if it aint broke etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm an M mount fan, but the only one i'd keep and try to salvage is the zeiss 18--thats a special lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new CV15 coming very soon (mark III) which is a completly redesign and works much better on the A7 series so start selling that one Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to your question depends on the direction you look. If you is a person that likes to shoot film, then you should keep your M lenses for using them with a Leica M body. However, if you look to the present, and especially to the future, the idea of selling your M lenses, while they still achieve good prices, seems to me is the most rational idea.

Leica has had many difficulties in adapting to digital photography. This Erwin Puts' analysis puts the finger on some of the Leica company's problems:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/blog-2/leica-the-new-reality.html

I'm sure that the technological gap between Leica and other photographic companies will only increase in the future.

Sony A7 could have been a camera that would rescue the used Leica lenses, but unfortunately most ultra wide-angle lens and fast wide angle lenses of symmetrical construction do not adapt well to Sony A7, especially the model A7r that uses very small photocells.

If Sony wanted, it could launch a A7L model with a sensor optimized for Leica lenses. But that would certainly kill the Leica M-240 and generate an undesirable animosity against Sony, especially in Germany. Moreover, the market for that type of camera would be negligible for the Sony standards.

I like your idea of buying a 16-35mm zoom lens. Buy the best lens you can, but don't worry about getting aperture larger than F4. The modern full-frame CMOS sensor has sensitivity which is about 100x higher than film, so the old excuse to use fast lenses for low light photography no longer applies. Similarly, the depth of field of wide-angle is often so so great even for the lens wide open, that getting selective focus is almost impossible, no matter the aperture. So again a F4 aperture should be adequate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyrano, if I might be able to pass along the wisdom of going through your situation more than once -- but never with such a fine array of glass, I should add.

I have always regretted selling off the primo glass I've owned in the past. I say "always" because I've done it more than once, and you'd think that one would learn from one's mistakes, but that isn't "always" the case.

On a few occasions, I unloaded some great gear out of economic necessity. On others, it was done on a whim or a perceived situation where I would no longer need them. Again, I have always come to regret such moves. And what have I done about them? Why, I've ended up buying back most, if not all, the glass I sold, some of more or less equal or superior quality, just to be sure. And it wasn't always just nice lenses, to be sure. Often it was great cameras with lenses that weren't interchangeable. Like Rolleiflexes and Zeiss Super Ikontas *>sniff<* I figure during the past five years, I've managed to buy back almost all the good glass and cameras I've sold during the proceeding twenty -- plus, I'll freely admit that I've added a few choice pieces to the collection, just for good measure.

If I understand you correctly, your concerns are that modern sensor technology has not caught up to the quality of your lenses -- or perhaps, perceived quality. I don't know. I've only heard about such glass. I've never gotten to actually use any. But if I'm close, let me just say this -- by more than one indication, 2015 is going to be the year in which some very interesting new products in the mirrorless world will be unveiled. There are rumors right now of 50mp Sony and Canon mirrorless full frame cameras that will be introduced later this year. I say, great news, but I'm still waiting for an FF mirrorless that will handle rapid fire shooting. The Sony A7 and A7r sure don't. Dunno about the A7ii, but I suspect it doesn't either. I'd settle for half the frame rate of my NEX 7, to be honest -- and a processor design such that the viewfinder and/or the LCD display doesn't go black during the pauses the way it does with the A7 and A7r.

So anyway, there's plenty of room for advancement with mirrorless technology. But by several accounts, we're in for an interesting year, in that regard. So, my recommendation? Sit tight, and hold onto your glass. Wait a while. Mirrorless technology is still in its infancy.

Last edited by cooltouch on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying keep them as some sort of investment insurance policy? I think I understand where you're coming from but if all is worthless then its a moot point. I'm weighing up my options but the odds are stacked in favour of selling most of my MF lenses and mechanical cameras to boot.
And buying the wide zoom ....
Edit: that was in response to bernhadas. Now cooltouch has echoed some latent residual fear of mine. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
Laughing So now I look at selling some SLR lenses and maybe my collection of manual bodies to part finance an M9. Damn me and my daft questions. Then again, I have no use for the 560mm Leica tele, I just much prefer acquiring lenses as opposed to selling them.
I want my old job back !
I wouldn't buy an A7s though, a couple of years down the line and who knows what might turn up? I do like the simplicity of Leica cameras, aperture,shutter speed, what else do you really need in a body that couldn't be done with a computer PP program? Except autofocus of course. My eyes!!!! Shocked
It has to be FF though, I'm used to that format and a bit of a Luddite when it comes to change,if it aint broke etc.

Keep in mind the M9 or M8 can shoot your 560mm with a visio 3 and adapter, these are not really expensive:) David Douglas Duncan shot some great political stuff that way Wink

Life is short, chase the passion.

Certainly the 16-35 is workable, just not in the same league as the glass you own.

CV 35/1.2 on M9:

L1024326 by unoh7, on Flickr

and another ZM 18 shot this fall on M9:

Dripping Yellow by unoh7, on Flickr

And CV 35/2.5 Skopar on M9:

L1002137 by unoh7, on Flickr

Gerald wrote:

If Sony wanted, it could launch a A7L model with a sensor optimized for Leica lenses. But that would certainly kill the Leica M-240 and generate an undesirable animosity against Sony, especially in Germany. Moreover, the market for that type of camera would be negligible for the Sony standards.

If wishes were kisses we'd all be smothered to death Mr. Green

Sony is just a big corporation where everything is done by committee and company politics. The good is mostly accidental. They were shocked at how the Nex was picked up by lens enthusiasts who were key to the camera's success, and built a whole brand. Sony's reply: "there's no such thing as a Nex anymore" The A7 sensor stack is just greed, pure and simple, trying to make it so only lenses really made for the camera are decent, while at the same time claiming it's great with lots of glass, so don't complain about how few native choices you have.

The "L" idea is in fact a no-brainer which would wildly enhance the company's reputation and sell tons of cameras. Which is why it's almost certain they will never do such a thing, though someone else might.

Did you know the whole A7 project was cancelled twice? That says alot about the chaos behind the scenes at Sony.

I remember having a nice landscape test with A7r and an elmarit v3 which looked pretty good at f/8, I thought. At RFF forum, I asked, can M9 do this? Somebody felt sorry for me and posted a full size landscape with 28 cron. I fell off my chair. No A7r or A7 image I had with scores of lenses was close to the clarity of that image. The idea that somehow the sony sensors are better than M9 or M240 comes from silly websites who test them with no lenses at all. Obviously, Gerald, you eat this info up, as do many others. Reality is another matter and the sony system is not close to the M system for anything except iso you would never need if you own a CV 35/1.2 Laughing

This is not even to mention the vast gap in file quality between Leica raws and Sony raws, build quality, menus, and a host of annoyances that come gratis with a Sony.

TY god there is an A7, as Canikon is even more cynical than Sony, but as Cyrano has discovered, it's a crazy picky sensor, with flaws which preclude the serious use of most of the best glass available today, 35mm and wider.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16/35 seems to be a good zoom . It is certainly a good choice.
About the primes , the new Zeiss Loxia 35 f2 could be interesting. You will have to wait for the end of this year to see what Zeiss is going to do with the Loxia range. It seems that they have some WA or UWA ready for the A7 . I would wait to make a decision.

Any assumption about the future price of the used Leica lenses is an assumption. It depends of the price of new Leica lenses. The demand for WA M lenses has not increased with the launch of the A7 . It is not the case for standerd and tele lenses. There is no inflation in western Europe.

The Leica lenses are clearly overpriced. This overpricing will last as long as there are FF digital cameras to use them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

Keep in mind the M9 or M8 can shoot your 560mm with a visio 3 and adapter, these are not really expensive:) David Douglas Duncan shot some great political stuff that way Wink
Life is short, chase the passion.
Certainly the 16-35 is workable, just not in the same league as the glass you own.

You're a good man uhoh7, but really, you're just encouraging my G.A.S aren't you? Go on, you can say so on this forum... Laughing
I think the 560 has to go, I just don't use it and unless somebody could predict a stratospheric rice in price in the future it has to go. Also the Canons 85 1.2 and 135 2 . I'd keep the Leica SLR lenses that I have left 180 Elmer Fudd,35 cron and 90 cron-they're nice. I know, the thing is...I just don't know anymore. Something has to go to buy a new lens in AF though. I love the little 15mm CV, that's such a cracking little lens, the Nokton 50mm 1.5 is another good 'un too. Tempted by an M9 but as much as I like the simplicity I think I'd need to hire one for a day and see if it could be a workable option.
I had ,at one time envisaged selling 90% of my mf lenses and just investing in top Zeiss primes and the zoom in AF. Now I sit in the corner twitching and biting my fingernails because as cooltouch says, when they're gone you're gonna want them back. I sold all my vinyl this way and have always regretted it. Can't buy them back now.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common/low value lens cannot keep their value over time. If you don't use a common lens, you can sell it and buy it back easily. For those rare and expensive lenses with special character, they can keep their value if you take good care of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Sony is just a big corporation where everything is done by committee and company politics. The good is mostly accidental.

With all these "vices" you mentioned, Sony has been the photographic company that has taken the photographic world by storm. So imagine what would happen if the engineers and Sony executives were so smart, wise and organized as the Leica! Razz

uhoh7 wrote:

I remember having a nice landscape test with A7r and an elmarit v3 which looked pretty good at f/8, I thought. At RFF forum, I asked, can M9 do this? Somebody felt sorry for me and posted a full size landscape with 28 cron. I fell off my chair. No A7r or A7 image I had with scores of lenses was close to the clarity of that image. The idea that somehow the sony sensors are better than M9 or M240 comes from silly websites who test them with no lenses at all. Obviously, Gerald, you eat this info up, as do many others.

You have convinced me that there will never be as good as the CCD sensor made by Kodak for the Leica M9. Perhaps the Leica's decision to abandon the CCD sensors, and use a modern CMOS sensor on the M240 has even been stupid. Rolling Eyes

uhoh7 wrote:

This is not even to mention the vast gap in file quality between Leica raws and Sony raws, build quality, menus, and a host of annoyances that come gratis with a Sony.

You forgot to say that Sony sensors crack or delaminate, the CPU hangs from time to time, the electronic viewfinder is terrible, etc. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, gentleman, this has been a very pleasant and sophisticated discussion, so do not add polemics, ok?

You find some really good advice here, cyrano.

I also would suggest several possible ways:

If you...

... need the money now, sell the lenses.
... don't need the money, keep them.

In the latter case you should either just use them on your Sony and make use of the "peculiarities" as a special effect, shoot them on your Fuji and accept the crop or really think about buying another cam, perhaps a used one to keep it down a little.

The follwing cams would do the job:

>> Sony A7s - absolutely amazing cam in any respect (unless you need extra high resolution).
>> Leica M9 - if you want the full wide angle.
>> Leica M8 - if you can accept the 1.3 crop and want to spend fewer coins.
>> Leica M6 - if you can imagine a film cam to be a nice complement for your already very fine digital cams.

I would keep the lenses if I were you. But that's just my 2c.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regardless of your feeling on the lenses you have, none are appreciating in value--thats just a fact. so you can sell and re-buy for same or less whenever you want.

i am a rf fan, but in comsidering M digis when on a budget you must account for the fact that they will break down somehow, and if you buy used, probably sooner rather than later. they are expensive to fix. think of it like buying a classic jaguar--beautiful but in the shop a lot and a cash drain.

the route i took was to buy an rd1 for about $800 to get the rf experience. i love it. versus the Ms it has a 1:1 finder which is helpful to aging eyes. theres no stupid coding, no focus shift, no color cast, no uv fikters, no sensor corrosion. you can align the rf yourself vs paying a couple hundred dollars to realign an M. it produces lovely results up to iso1600 vs 800 on the Ms. and its a workhorse. with the savings you can buy another digicamlike an A7 which is presently going for under $1000 and actually save money vs the cost of one M.

ive found that even though i have a modern classic--the rx1-- which produces stunning results and that i enjoy using, i reach for the 6mp rd1 more and more. ive not felt any limitation, in fact i'm laughing all the way to the bank! well, not really, as i just spent the money i saved on lenses!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
regardless of your feeling on the lenses you have, none are appreciating in value--thats just a fact. so you can sell and re-buy for same or less whenever you want.

Yes, that's true for most brands and lenses, but try that with Leica M glass. I wish I had invested 10.000€ in M lenses in immaculate condition some years ago, I could sell them for three times as much today - if not for more.

rbelyell wrote:

the route i took was to buy an rd1 for about $800 to get the rf experience. i love it. versus the Ms it has a 1:1 finder which is helpful to aging eyes. theres no stupid coding, no focus shift, no color cast, no uv fikters, no sensor corrosion. you can align the rf yourself vs paying a couple hundred dollars to realign an M. it produces lovely results up to iso1600 vs 800 on the Ms. and its a workhorse. with the savings you can buy another digicamlike an A7 which is presently going for under $1000.

OK, but in the initial post we can read:
cyrano wrote:

I originally used the M mounts on my Epsom which has been sold due to me having bigger issues focusing.

So, I guess cyrano had already tried the RD1.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo everything LucisPictor had said

I remember enough post of someone regretting having sold very good lenses because they didn't meet their current situation. If the money is not needed I'd keep them for sure.

RF lenses imo make a much better fit on a mirrorless than SRL lenses, therefore I expect that the demand for RF lenses only will raise. That also makes me expect that a FF mirrorless camera which handles these wide angles better, but at a much lower price point than the Leicas, will arrive. It's only speculation, but I expect at least within the coming 2 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another point is that M-lenses can stay even if you someday change your system.
A Fuji user who only shoots with Fuji lenses will have to sell everything if he changes to Sony and so on.
Someone who has a nice set of Leica M glass will be able to keep them and use them even with the new system.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if OP had issues rf focusing on a 1:1 finder, then my suggestion would be to forget rf's altoghether. and i understand leica glass aporeciates, but OP was asking about selling the glass he has, none of which is leica, which is why i suggested he not sweat selling any of what he has. though again, personally i would try to keep the zeiss 18.

the truth is for OP to use the glass he has he has very limited choices. i see, but do not understand, why he wouldnt consider the sony a7s, which has gotten great dxo marks, earned fabukous reviews, and works incredibly well with the glass he has. certainly i would at least give it a try. to be worried about number of mps at this point on the technology curve imo really misses the mark. mps dont make the photographer or the photograph. and reviewer after reviewer that ive read cannot heap enough praise on the a7s results. the smaller mp number means larger pixels and that seems to produce very pleasing unique looking images--somewhat akin to M ccd sensors.

dont get hung up on mps. decide the glass you want to use, how you want to use your tool and go. from what ive read here, the easiest, cheapest and most productive for OP would be reconsidering the a7s.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="uhoh7"]
cyrano wrote:
Laughing
Sony is just a big corporation where everything is done by committee and company politics. The good is mostly accidental. They were more cynical than Sony, but as Cyrano has discovered, it's a crazy picky sensor, with flaws which preclude the serious use of most of the best glass available today, 35mm and wider.

Well , strange vision about Sony . Why not.
It is funny that Leica was born by chance ....like many things.

Personnaly , I have no vision at all about the future of Leica and the shareholders projects . My feeling is that marketing and brand management is a priority of the present strategy.
Perhaps have you some solid views on this future ?

I don't think that the fact that M WA don't work with A7 family cameras is an issue for Sony management.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered the Sony A7s, it's not far off the cost of the M9 really. But....this is the digital world, as already mentioned, who knows what will turn up in the next couple of years.
What I'm trying to say is I really don't use half of the lenses in my collection and I am concerned that over time they may well deteriorate without regular usage and if I'm not using them frequently, why do I hold on to them? G.A.S. excluded of course. we're all in the same boat are we not? Lovely glass, lovely brass,aluminium fittings even plastic mouldings. it's all about the lenses inside the package. I love the Zeiss 18mm, I also love the Canon 1.2 and the Konica 135mm 3.2, the Hexanon 57mm 1.2 and the black Jupiter 3.
I don't need the money per se, I could however use it to cover the cost of more lenses in AF without breaking into the income barrier.
I've got a load of black, mechanical,manual bodies I've been collecting/hoarding, relative peanuts or worth offloading? Canon F1,F1n,FTbn,EF,Konica T3,Om-1,Nikon F2 Dp-1 finder,Fujica ST801 for instance. I don't develop my own film and find it cost prohibitive to pay for. I was a dedicated slide shooter and that's more or less a dead art.