Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV Filter for Canon FD / FDn 85-300/4.5 Zoom Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: UV Filter for Canon FD / FDn 85-300/4.5 Zoom Lens Reply with quote

Looking into Canon 85-300/4.5 lenses, am hoping to get some information about it's filter design.

I was looking at a FDn version and instead of having a screw-in filter in the front, it had a screw in retainer ring, which then held a filter in place that had no threads of it's own, just a metal band around the circumference of the glass.

I have a BL / SSC version coming and it seems to have the same design...in the event I need/want to add a UV filter, trying to finalize information I'll need to try and find one. So far my searches have turned up some limited pieces of information, which don't then seem to find any or point to any source when I Google search this ID info:

Series IX 82.6mm Filter (3 & 1/4")

I have seen occasional references to Series 9.....and Roman numeral IX is 9.
Could be that what's being referred to as a Series 9 is the correct filter, just not sure and kind of expensive to order on the assumption that's the case, so I thought I'd toss the question out to the MFLenses braintrust.

If anyone knows / can validate the specific ID info for such a UV type filter for the Canon FD/FDn 85-400/4.5...and/or know where I can find such specific information...I'd appreciate the help...thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens, boxed, won't be home until tomorrow evening, pretty sure I have all the paperwork that goes with it but don't hold me to that. I will check when I get home, there may be a technical sheet if we're lucky. I can say it's a fantastic lens, don't think you will be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier SSC version with the breechlock has a filter holder for Series 9 filters. The nFD version had an adapter supplied with the lens for 82mm filters.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: UV Filter for Canon FD / FDn 85-300/4.5 Zoom Lens Reply with quote

roundballmflenses wrote:
Looking into Canon 85-300/4.5 lenses, am hoping to get some information about it's filter design.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Well, that's good to hear about an SSC version...hope this FD / SSC version I have coming turns out that way.

I just tried and had to return an absolutely brand new looking NEW FD version as it was impossible to get razor sharp focus with it.
I can shoot birds with my FDn 200, 300, 400 lenses and count the whisker hairs under a birds beak taken at 50 feet...couldn't come close to that with the NEW FD 85-300 I just bought / returned. I struggled testing it most of a whole day and as bad as I wanted it, I finally had to pack it up and send it back. I'm beginning to believe there might be some truth to the old saying:
".....if a 30-40 year old lens still looks new and unused today, its probably because it was set aside right after it first hit the market due to some problem and in fact was not used all those years.....".

The NEW FD version I initially ordered had a knurled ring that unscrewed and a Canon IX filter came out...no threads on the filter, just a metal band around the glass...I assume that's the "Series 9" I've seen references to ?

But I also had this latest seller check the FD SSC version I just ordered and it also has a knurled front retainer ring that unscrewed, but there was no filter inside in front of the lens element.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series filters have no thread, and are held on by a retaining ring, just as in your case.
You should be able to find Series IX/9 accessories on eBay, like a hood, but they arent all that common.
Best thing to find IMHO is an adapter ring to some common metric size like 82 or 86mm.
Again, these aren't common, but I have run across them in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this helpful:
http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-accessory/series-filters
http://silverbased.org/series-filters/
http://www.tiffen.com/tips_filter_sizes.html
looks like they still make series 9 filters.
http://www.tiffen.com/productsearch.html?search_itemnum=Series+9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, just checked mine, luckily I have the adapter and filter fitted, have a booklet with info in but it sheds no new light on the matter. The retaining ring is a bit like a blank step down ring and just unscrews, bit of a bigger with the built in hood, and then the filter just pops out, mine is a skylight, I have noticed a tiny machined hole in the hood and I can only assume that as the retainer has a knurled edge it may be an access point should it be a bit stiff.Hope this helps, worst darn system I have ever seen, but shouldn't detract from a damn fine lens, I will shortly be adding an adapter to the retainer, however this will render the hood obsolete, so will have to find another hood, the things we do for our passion never surprises me, good luck finding the retainer and filter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hole in the hood is usually meant to provide access to a polarizer when the hood is extended.
Seen that on other lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a series 9 filter which is enclosed by a retainer there is no possibility of using a circular polariser with a thumb lever, any polariser would have to be linear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Did you try the lens that you sent back with or without uv filter?

And excellent question, and no, I did not.
The lens was listed as "mint", "perfect in all respects", "10 on a scale of 10", etc, etc...so I used it just like it came to me.
I did look at the front element and the Canon brand Series 9 1A filter to ensure they were clean, but didn't shoot without it in place.
In hindsight it would have been good to try that on the off chance that there was some filter distortion or something.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking that paperwork;

Have been checking EBay;

Thanks for the links about filter sources;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there were circular polarizers for Series filter mounts, for these you do not use the retaining ring.
I have an old Series VII Kodak polarizer like this, lovely chrome brass, complete with a knob. Sadly it has separation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: UV Filter for Canon FD / FDn 85-300/4.5 Zoom Lens Reply with quote

roundballmflenses wrote:

Canon 85-300/4.5 S.S.C. lens

Thanks for everyone's input on the filter question...I'm done exploring the old big zooms now and won't need a filter after all.
Am completely spoiled by the outstanding IQ from Canon FDn 80-200/4.0-L, 300/4.0-L, and 400/4.5 lenses…color, sharpness, all of it.

Just finished testing the Canon FD 85-300/4.5 S.S.C. that arrived today and will pack it up / return it tomorrow…simply not in the same league with the above lenses…done experimenting…I’ll just carry and change a lens occasionally like I always have.
Wink