Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Miranda Auto EC 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Miranda Auto EC 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

This is the EC version of the 50 1.4. I believe the design changed for this lens. The earlier 50 1.4's were 8 element designs, but this is believed to be a 7/5 design. It will be fun to test it against my 8 element 50 1.4.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it today, and it's a beauty. Very Happy Like my Miranda EC 50 1.8, it has the built in hood. Both lenses appear to be made by Sun Optical.
Both lenses have 1/2 stops, between every stop, including the first. Very Happy I'm really suprised to see a 1/2 stop between f1.4 and f2. Shocked Very Happy

I got home late, so I was only able to get a couple test shots. These are at f1.4, with a minor contrast boost,sharpening, and resizing.
Sorry the shots aren't better, but it's not easy to handhold a lens in front of an adapter, and shoot at f1.4. Embarassed

f1.4 1st shot. Lilly.

f1.4 2nd shot.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had alot of rain. So these were shot in heavy overcast between the rain.

Shot at f2.8. Ballon Flower.

Shot at f4. Lilly and the Slug.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out one of my Minolta 50 1.4's, until I make the Miranda adapter I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I don't think this is going to come close to the Minolta performance.

This was shot a little later, but I scewed up, this is at f5.6.

Minolta MC Rokkor X PF 50 1.4 at f5.6. After The Snack.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand-holding the lens in front of an adapter is obviously far from ideal Laughing but I think it looks really promising.
Especially considering the price you paid Shocked
WTG Razz

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Optical ? Interesting.
What was your source of information ?
This may explain some other Miranda lenses.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Hand-holding the lens in front of an adapter is obviously far from ideal Laughing but I think it looks really promising.
Especially considering the price you paid Shocked
WTG Razz

Thank You. Yup, far fron ideal. Laughing The tubes I'm going to make the adapter out of are finally in th USA, so a couple more days and I will have them. Very Happy
I've actually bought 2 of the 50 1.4's at about the same price each. This one and the 8 element version. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Sun Optical ? Interesting.
What was your source of information ?
This may explain some other Miranda lenses.

The Miranda EC, E series Compact line came out in 1974, which was during the time Sun was building lenses for Soligor. There was actually a EC line in Soligor brand for Miranda, that appears to be the same as the Miranda versions. I've only seen the Soligor EC 28 2.8 so far, and sadly, the pictures weren't good enough to make 100% sure the lenses are the same. Sad
The Soligor EC 28 2.8, I could see the serial number and it was a 3 code lens which makes it Sun made.
I will continue to search for and hopefully buy a Soligor EC verion and compare them. I really want to prove or disprove this theory. Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some results with my earlier 50mm f1.4 8-element type. This is the version with the side arm for controlling the aperture and no click stops. This is a bit of a nuisance of course.

At f1.4, the lens is rather soft with a definite "glow". This is not unexpected, and I can't say for certain how it compares with my other 50mm f1.4 lenses (Minolta MD and Zuiko). My gut feeling is that it is worse (softer and more glowy) than both. Nevertheless, the lens still has an attractive rendering which is why I liked the f1.8 version.

There is still some glow and softness at f2. Although I do not have solid data to back this up, I would say the f1.4 at f2 is just a bit better than my f1.8 at f1.8 in the sense the glow is just a bit less. I really liked the f1.8 and found it quite useable wide open, so this means the f1.4 is definitely in the "very good" class. Nevertheless, I had hoped for better. I suspect my wonderful MMZ Helios 44-2 will outperform the Miranda at f2.

Stopped down, the lens does show hexagons in the bokeh from the diaphragm.

The only PP on these pictures is a small levels adjustment to maximise the contrast. Results are still good straight from the camera.

#1 @ f2

#2 @ f2.8

#3 @ f4

#4 @ f2

#5 @ f2.8

#6 @ f4

#7 @ f1.4

#8 @ f2

#9 @ f2.8

#10 @ f4

This is the lens on my EPL1:

There is some deterioration of the black paint around the front doublet (you can see this in the picture). This will not help the contrast of course, but i doubt it has a major effect

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you using a hood ?
I find that it helps, sometimes a lot.
On APS-C sensors you can use a tele hood, like for a 135, without clipping the corners.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens as Mark, mine is really sharp wide open, not used it a huge amount as I have the Hexanon 1.4/50.

I have the EC 2.8/28, it's quite average, not great but not bad.

I have a 200mm Miranda, that is made by Sun, only tried it once, not a good one, low contrast, soft.

I got the 1.4/50 first and it fooled me into thinking the other Mirandas would be really good, sadly they aren't, so I'm selling my copies, the 1.8/50 is not great, probably the least good 50 I own, not tried the 2.8/50 yet, I don't have high hopes.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for posting, Mark. Color handling, and rendering is what really what draws me to this lens. Of course it being an 8 element lens helps too. Very Happy

I just ordered the new Miranda bayonet to M4/3 adapter that just came out today. Very Happy Here's the thread I started in the Adapter section.

http://forum.mflenses.com/miranda-bayonet-to-m4-3-adapter-t50192.html

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have the same lens as Mark, mine is really sharp wide open, not used it a huge amount as I have the Hexanon 1.4/50.

I have the EC 2.8/28, it's quite average, not great but not bad.

I have a 200mm Miranda, that is made by Sun, only tried it once, not a good one, low contrast, soft.

I got the 1.4/50 first and it fooled me into thinking the other Mirandas would be really good, sadly they aren't, so I'm selling my copies, the 1.8/50 is not great, probably the least good 50 I own, not tried the 2.8/50 yet, I don't have high hopes.

I think one of the problems is Miranda used different manufactorers. What I forgot to mention is the main reason I think the EC line is made by SUN Optical. The appeture ring is identical to ones I've seen on other Sun made lenses, also the markings and even the built in hood.
I wish I knew who made the 8 element 50 1.4, and a few other lenses produced at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the 8 element unique design that drew me to it too, something different. Smile

Some shots with mine, wide open, pretty sharp:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'm going to try to take the time to shoot with my 8 element version tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I will like it. Very Happy
I took a minute and tried the 7 element with my new adapter at infinity. This is a shot taken at f2.8 with standard sharpening and a very minor contrast boost. It is cropped then resized. Shot in very sunny conditions.

Crop off of the original picture, with standard sharpening and minor contrast boost.

Last edited by walter g on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really getting much time to take my lenses out to shoot. Sad This was just after I finished for the day. EXIF is wrong it was shot at 8:21 PM. Shot at ISO 800 at 1/60th, at f1.4 on Panny G1 handheld, using my new adapter.
Resized, minor contrast bump, minor light adjust,standard sharpening.
Not too bad for handheld. Comments and Critiques always welcome.

Coneflower Echinacea Hot Papaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy and overcast today. My small tripod is missing. I mean how can you lose a tripod. Embarassed
So these shots are handheld. 7 Element version
Comments and Critiques always welcome.

Galya Coral Sparks Blanket flower at f2.8.

Laura Phlox at f4

Always Afternoon Daylilly at f5.6

Daylilly Stamens at f1.4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shot I took a while back and meant to post, also with the 7 element EC 50 1.4.

White Hydrangea at f1.4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your copy have the leica thread mount or M42?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manualjunkie wrote:

These use the Miranda bayonet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
manualjunkie wrote:

These use the Miranda bayonet.

I've been cross referencing on here and it looks different then the copies on here. Check it out below.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A later lens, the EC series rather than the earlier E series. Not sure who made it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the big question: Is version "E" 8 elements or 7?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
So the big question: Is version "E" 8 elements or 7?

Sorry, I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile.
Im pretty sure its a 7 element. I still have the lens and adapter.
I will get them out and post new samples soon. Im upgrading my Panny G1 to a newer cam.

Here is a link to my thread on the 8 element version.
http://forum.mflenses.com/miranda-auto-50mm-f1-4-t49042,highlight,%2Bmiranda.html