Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does anyone use the lowest iso setting on their cameras?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Does anyone use the lowest iso setting on their cameras? Reply with quote

I mean iso below 100,My K-01 only goes to 100 and I was wondering what modern cameras go below 100 iso, and do you use those lower settings? How do they compare to the old film iso standards? Thanks to all who reply,

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Canon 5D can "fake" iso 50, but iso 100 is lowest native sensor mode. I suspect other camera iso less than 100 is also "fake".

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ISO 100 nowadays is mostly "fake", native ISO generally is 200. ISO 100 and other low ISO settings are there to allow shooting fast lenses wide open in the sun. I generally don't use it, it's not enough light here to make it necessary and I am not a huge fun of wide open shooting. I prefer to stop down a bit when light allows it.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the ISO sensitivity data on DXO, you will found that the ISO sensitivity at ISO50 on Canon 5D3, Nikon 800E and Sony A7r is equal to ISO100.

Check out here for some interesting data on 5D2
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/page25.asp

and here for some comparison of read noise
http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_ADU.htm

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes, when it makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lowest (extended) ISO is usually just the lowest native ISO shot over exposed by a stop and then pulled back. So not very useful really. Canon cameras still have a native ISO of 100 thankfully.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensors have modes, or regions of operation -- on Canon 5D1 these are iso 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 -- the overexpose/pull trick is used for "in-between" iso settings such as 125, 160, 250, 320, etc.. Other Canon cameras reportedly have modes at 160, 320, etc.!

Iirc, Pentax and Nikon sensors are native iso 200.

I use the lowest iso mode I can, try to operate sensor at maximum quality Wink & minimize sensor noise.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the Pentax K200D had the inbetween iso settings.

I don't completely understand the term "fake" in relation to a Digital cameras setting of ISO 100 or less? Is it termed "fake" because it is a digital sensors representation of the film equivalent?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo. There is only one sensitivity in the sensor. Roger N. Clark give detailed explanations in his site http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso/ .

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already said: baseline ISO can be 200 then 100 just for PR

Samsung WB500 does have ISO 80, I am not sure how fake it is. Camera seems to ignore the setting sometimes (with flash? when too dark?) giving fuzz even at iso80

Get Velvia! Oh wait Velvia isn't yet digital.

Yes there is only one baseline sensor sensitivity, HOWEVER unless it's faked (by DSP push/pull) there is an analog amplifier behind the sensor and how much it is cranked up influences ISO and noise.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, Mo, a sensor always sees the world at the native ISO. If the native ISO is 200 and you shoot at 1600, then the image is being underexposed by three full stops. So the camera's computer runs some algorithms to determine what the image SHOULD look like and compensates. It's sort of like pushing film, but with more digital noise, a softer image, and less precise color trueness.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links calvin, that will help me in understanding this subject.

In a nutshell, it's better to try and understand digital and sensors, as it is =a totally new medium, with its own quirks and traits than relate to it how film behaves?

It will take me a little bit to get my head around it all ,and you guys have helped push me in the right direction. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Mo. There is only one sensitivity in the sensor. Roger N. Clark give detailed explanations in his site http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/iso/ .

That was an excellent read.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Calvin for the clarkvision link! Even I got it!

But there's on thing I don't understand :
"...will be dictated by the amount of money in the bank account .... If we have $623.47...."

How can this happen?: "money in the bank account" a lens & camera collector asks Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Many thanks to Calvin for the clarkvision link! Even I got it!

But there's on thing I don't understand :
"...will be dictated by the amount of money in the bank account .... If we have $623.47...."

How can this happen?: "money in the bank account" a lens & camera collector asks Embarassed

You had to be an azz and remind me how uselessly expensive Trioplan 100/2.8 still is, didn't you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
If you look at the ISO sensitivity data on DXO, you will found that the ISO sensitivity at ISO50 on Canon 5D3, Nikon 800E and Sony A7r is equal to ISO100.

Check out here for some interesting data on 5D2
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/page25.asp

and here for some comparison of read noise
http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/RN_ADU.htm

Sometimes it's not about less noise. In the picture below, I used the ISO 50 setting to help lower the shutter speed.

Taken with the Canon Pro 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. In bright scenes with the extended low ISO, you can use a smaller F stop to get less DOF without getting overexposured.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Yes. In bright scenes with the extended low ISO, you can use a smaller F stop to get less DOF without getting overexposured.

In the image above, I stopped down to the smallest aperture, dialled in the built-in ND filter in order to get the shutter to 1/30 of second.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone use the lowest iso setting on their cameras? Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I mean iso below 100,My K-01 only goes to 100 and I was wondering what modern cameras go below 100 iso, and do you use those lower settings? How do they compare to the old film iso standards? Thanks to all who reply,

Personally, I would refrain from using it, because (as others have stated) it just modifies the exposure curves, and therefore you will lose some dynamic range. In case you shoot in raw, you will lose a little headroom in the highlight recovery area.

[edit: fixed typo]