Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sharp and Warm: Canon FD 50mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Sharp and Warm: Canon FD 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

I've had my NEX-5N for about 6 months, but just now got around to trying out my Canon FD 50mm f1.8. These were standard on many Canon AE-1 and AE-1 Program cameras, and there are loads of them around. But WOW! I really like it. It's sharp and has a warmth to it that I really like.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful results. I have a couple copies of this lens and it never cease to impress me whenever I put it on the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony NEX-5N + Canon 50mm, f1.8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good lens with beautiful colour rendering.
Your images are indeed warm and inviting.
My son's favourite lens for his Sony
OH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OH. It is a nice little lens. The warmth makes it especially good for winter shooting where everything tends to lean toward blue (for us northern hemisphere denizens anyway.)

About the only negative with this Canon 50 is that its minimum focusing distance seems about double of that of most other 50mm lenses. Not a big deal considering its defining strengths.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroZon wrote:
About the only negative with this Canon 50 is that its minimum focusing distance seems about double of that of most other 50mm lenses.

It's not quite that bad - I have about a dozen 50's within arm's reach and most of them labeled to 45 cm, none less than that, and stop there. FD 50/1.8 is labeled to 60 cm and goes slightly under, I'd say to 57-58 cm. So it's 25-30% difference.

PS. 50/1.8 is a beautiful lens, sharp, contrasty, light, and easy to find in mint shape. One of my favorites.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

It's not quite that bad - I have about a dozen 50's within arm's reach and most of them labeled to 45 cm, none less than that, and stop there. FD 50/1.8 is labeled to 60 cm and goes slightly under, I'd say to 57-58 cm. So it's 25-30% difference.

PS. 50/1.8 is a beautiful lens, sharp, contrasty, light, and easy to find in mint shape. One of my favorites.

OK, I may have been exaggerating a little - 25-30% sounds about right. Here's another photo taken with it:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rendering of the FDn 50mm f1.8. Where it falls short for me is in the long close focus distance; my measure is about 18.5". Here's what it yielded on the A7:

The Pentax 55mm f1.8 M42 on the other hand has a close focus distance of 14"; here what it yielded on the A7:

Color wise, I like the warmth of the FDn 50mm best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
AstroZon wrote:
About the only negative with this Canon 50 is that its minimum focusing distance seems about double of that of most other 50mm lenses.

Indeed, quite large MFD on that one, never noticed that before. East German 50s have small MFDs: Jena Tessar goes to 35mm, Pentacon MC Auto 1.8/50 goes to 33mm, most Japanese 50s focus down to 45mm.

Great results with this lens, everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked great success indeed!