Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Russian Economy and Lens Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Russian Economy and Lens Prices Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone with knowledge of the market know if the current Ruble collapse affected the prices of Russian lenses and cameras sold online?

I haven't bought many Russian lenses as they're usually M42 mount. However, I'd love to pick up couple if they're cheaper now for my Nikon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get them cheaper now if you buy them locally in Russia.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
You should be able to get them cheaper now if you buy them locally in Russia.

That is true for camera, lenses, and pretty Russian models to stand in front of them. Of course, I'd still have to buy a plane ticket, which I'm unwilling to do. I was hoping for changes in online prices.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
The rubel has a bit stabilized last friday. Lets hope that the political and economic crisis get better soon. Both have potentially nasty knock on risks.

I totally agree. This crisis has a really bad taste. This isn't the right forum for it, so I'm not going to say too much. Let's just say, it's part of why I'm looking at getting these lenses now.

bernhardas wrote:
If you buy from Russian vendors on ebay.com prices are quoted in USD and not changed.
If you are fluent in Russian Language you can use a Russian on-line platform.

I'll have to dig for these Russian on-line platforms. I am unfamiliar with them. Thankfully, I have couple of friends who speak Russian.

bernhardas wrote:
However last week were two days during which banks effectively shut down rubel fx trading. So if you are unlucky and hit a volatile day you can not settle to pay.

I wish I had the cash to make a trip to Russia. It would be fun to shop for lenses straight as well as take photos.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:

If you buy from Russian vendors on ebay.com prices are quoted in USD and not changed.
If you are fluent in Russian Language you can use a Russian on-line platform.

It will be hard since it's not easy for russians/Ukranians to get a paypal account (they usualy use relatives in UE country). Also, those local site doesn't offer garanties like ebay does for buyer, so it's quite risky.
When I buy in Ukraina, I never say that I'm foreigner, and only use bank money transfer (which is only possible localy).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The associated selective circular permutations
Crimea = CRIMEA = CRImeA = CRI..A = IRAC
Ukraine = UKRAINE = uKRAIne = .KRAI.. = IRAK
say that
Ukraine/Crimea to Russia is IRAK to USA.

Deep in the hypocrisy, when rUsSiA are in WW3 with Obama/Putin in charge,, rUsSiA will break,,, some photographers somewhere may get a lifetime opportunity to take photos of live mushroom clouds.
In that rare moment, AF works faster than MF before they breath in the radioactive air.
The prophecy was already seen by 268,197,361 people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that there were some savings to be had during the first days of the ruble collapse, but now the prices have been adjusted and hedged against further ruble devaluation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those that ship abroad or resell lenses for living calculate their profits in hard currency anyway. So there will be no change in prices for us. It's quite possible that locals bargains will appear on flea markets and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian Economy and Lens Prices Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone with knowledge of the market know if the current Ruble collapse affected the prices of Russian lenses and cameras sold online?

I haven't bought many Russian lenses as they're usually M42 mount. However, I'd love to pick up couple if they're cheaper now for my Nikon.

First, there was no actual collapse except idiots panicking and buying whatever they can.
Second, online prices haven't changed at all.
The real change (and I don't really know in which direction) will be only after the New Year holidays.
What M42 lenses are you interested in? I can give you a summary.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting discussion,Just a friendly reminder try to stick to the OP's question and keep personal political thoughts out of the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian Economy and Lens Prices Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:
maldaye wrote:
Hi,

First, there was no actual collapse except idiots panicking and buying whatever they can.
Second, online prices haven't changed at all.
The real change (and I don't really know in which direction) will be only after the New Year holidays.
What M42 lenses are you interested in? I can give you a summary.

Two remarks :
There is collapse of the rouble . It is a fact and all economists know why.
The market of russian legacy lenses is probably driven by export . As a consequence it should be based on dollar or euro prices. If you want to pay only some kopeks , you have to go there and buy on flea markets.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be too concerned about the devaluation of the ruble! If you like lenses, what is happening to the yen (see the graph below) is more important. The yen regulates the price of most of the lenses in the world.

The dollar x yen currency rate is 50% higher today than it was two years ago. This means that Japan's lens manufacturers can sell their lenses cheaper in US dollars. It is easy to understand that the prices of lenses made in Japan end up serving as a reference for all other lenses, including used lenses. Idea

Oh, I almost forgot, the price of Russian lenses measured in barrels of oil should remain more or less the same. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Russian Economy and Lens Prices Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

There is collapse of the rouble . It is a fact and all economists know why.

Well tell me more about the collapse. I'm in Moscow now and I'd like to hear any expert opinions about the collapse that is happening around me Smile
In fact, those who bought dollar for 80 rub several days ago are now in a big loss. They've been told not to do so. But they panicked and have lost the game.
It was also promised that dollar will be at 100 rub before the NY. But that won't happen either, it is now only 53 rub and keeps going down.
With it I lose my Paypal savings which are in dollars, so a collapse would have been much more profitable for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent analogy. I like it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Ukranian Lenses Reply with quote

Hi,

I've checked with couple sources in the Ukraine. They recommended the following site:

http://olx.ua/uk/list/q-Helios/

Of course, you'd have to convince the seller to ship internationally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ukranian Lenses Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Hi,

I've checked with couple sources in the Ukraine. They recommended the following site:

And you'd have to find a way to send money Smile (ukranian can only pay with paypal, they can't be paid). I know the problem, and didn't find any convenient solution yet, since western union (or such) is quite expensive. On those site, seller are usualy no pro seller, and won't do anything to sell their items to foreigners (or they will make price higher for you), especialy in actual economic situation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm, jelly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ukranian Lenses Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Hi,

I buy all my Russian lenses here

http://stores.ebay.com/alexphotogoods/

He has been around a long time and Alex is very repuatable. I have bought a few lenses from him, including my Helios 40-2 85mm.

Shipping may take a little longer because of the war but he will not dissapoint his customers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most common lenses here is Helios 44-M-something, I've seen it being sold for $14 (ruble equiv.) recently, but on Ebay the price will be higher due to fees.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jan 14 32 USD
dec 14 54 USD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ukranian Lenses Reply with quote

Newfie wrote:
I buy all my Russian lenses here

http://stores.ebay.com/alexphotogoods/

He has been around a long time and Alex is very repuatable. I have bought a few lenses from him, including my Helios 40-2 85mm.

Shipping may take a little longer because of the war but he will not dissapoint his customers.

Speaking of alex-photo, this is just a small sample of how war can disrupt the course of people's lives:

from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MC-VOLNA-9-MACRO-2-8-50mm-lens-ZENIT-M42-870313-EXCELLENT-/351244770125?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item51c7d1db4d