Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 85/1.5 first shots... and butterflies in the future:)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Helios 85/1.5 first shots... and butterflies in the future:) Reply with quote

Won for €244 (+ postage and small PP fees) from Germany in a weak auction, probably 1966

I don't value much countriside 'round my house and don't usually travel anywhere in winter time, but we are literally surrounded with horses, so I decided to grab the opportunity.

I had to decolorate photo a bit, yet probably not enough. I realized ain't used to hold such f1.5 lens in my hands Smile

I like it so far, with bokeh easier than I imagined and just the same as Google says.

Marek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've knocked some colour out that picture, it must have been super saturated.Shocked But, it's a great picture. The lens is good, I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horses are always a lovely subject,I am glad you posted the image. Smile It's a great looking lens, and it seems you will have a very nice collection of these silver lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek: Another great lens. Congratulations. Why would you reduce the colors? I see it has a golden tone as do most of your images.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens and nice portrait of the horse. Horses make great subjects.

I don't know if you intended that color cast or it was intense early/late light, but it reminds me of my Jupiter-9 which often renders a yellow cast that I have to tone down in post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The golden tone is already set in the body with Shadow Mode. I switched it for different settings to reach colder atmo in Winter but couldn't resist again, as the background bokeh looked more Autumnal.

But I'd like to explore colder tones any time soon, presumably with Tessar 250/6.3 Very Happy

Neither early nor late sun, just ordinary midday shine. I was working in the morning and doing some lumberjacking during sunset Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want that lens, some day....
Beautiful shot, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely indeed!! Makes me want to take out my (later black version) "sleeper" and put it to use!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update after nearly a two months after purchase. I realized I've become a curiousity hunter instead of image and bokeh quality. I also realized how spoiled I've become, getting one of those must-have-loved-by-everyone lens for a good money just to put it off and hunt another piece.

Despite fantastic close-up bokeh, I find handling this lens surprisingly difficult (in harsh winter conditions). Just imagine how much might it cost if having really Biotar 75 level of optics and better ergonomics/weight and so on.

So I'm still fighting with rather than proper shooting, not much satisfied with the results but the hidden potential is definitely present. Fighting with counterlight, softness, bad focal ring and even oversaturation, bright spots and colors.

P.S. it's the very same horse I tested my Tele-Tessars on. Poor animal Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lovers of that kind of bokeh will be loving that picture, it's not my favourite - I prefer dreamy. But hey, it does bokeh! That's an image that stands out from the rest, for that - I like it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work, great lens!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The lovers of that kind of bokeh will be loving that picture, it's not my favourite - I prefer dreamy. But hey, it does bokeh! That's an image that stands out from the rest, for that - I like it.

I agree. I like a smooth, creamy bokeh. That bokeh is much too busy for my eyes and IMO the bokeh distracts from the main subject, the bokeh almost becomes the subject of the photo. (Strictly speaking of the last horse shot)

It's a nice image but IMO a smoother bokeh would do wonders.

I still find it to be an interesting photo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 first horse shoot is great, last one not really what is nice on flower not works to me also on horse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this lens is such a fun, I continued yesterday. Very funny to use, maybe still not optimal performance, but funny indeed.

Either couldn't get any emotion from the horse or I wasn't just too quick with the focal ring, ergonomy of this otherwise very fine lens just sucks. Next time I'll bring them something sweater than 4 days old rolls.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animals and especially horses react to emotions.
Read your footer - and you wonder??? Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos and the unique characteristic of this lens work out great in this case. Your photos are spot on. I find it difficult to focus with this lens especially at f1.5 but when it is spot on, it is very sharp.

Last edited by my_photography on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, ergonomy much worst than wide open sharpness as is. True that. So I could only blame myself and I am OK with that.