Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

APX 100 vs FP4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: APX 100 vs FP4 Reply with quote

Hi all,
a question for those that have used both films and they can comment on how they have found them... I can find the apx 2-3 euros cheaper than the FP4 but apart from that I am not sure how they compare in terms of quality.

What is your take?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used any AGFA film in years, but I did find reviews on photographyreview.com:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/film/black-and-white-film/agfa/apx-100/prd_83262_3119crx.aspx

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/film/black-and-white-film/ilford/fp4-plus/prd_83341_3119crx.aspx

Hope this helps.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks... it looks that FP4 is slighty cheaper.. although my APX 100 seems to be much cheaper.. almost 40% cheaper in Germany

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only shot one roll of either:

The Films:
Ilford FP4+ was at least 10 years past its expiry and hadn't been cold-stored.

'So-called' AGFA APX 100 - this has been through re-formulations and, most recently, change of supplier. I can't remember which version I had, but have a feeling it might have been the 2010 'New' formula - the internet doesn't think this was an improvement.

Processing:
Developed and scanned by AG Photolab (UK) to 3089 x 2048 pixels.

Results:
FP4+ Moderate round grain, probably coarser than if it had been fresh, and noticeable when viewed screen-size (let alone 100%). Nice dynamic range and contrast.

APX 100 Very fine, feathery grain and low in contrast meaning that smooth surfaces (or the sky) look smooth. Dynamic range likewise very good. The only downside is the grain which, when viewed at 100%, seems like ink blotting on paper - leafy things (trees / grass) in the distance look quite impressionistic.

Overall:
They are noticeably different. I believe I am correct in saying that FP4+ was formulated in the 1980s - it has the old-school, grainy look that you might be after. Conversely APX 100 does a perfectly good job of rendering a scene in black and white, certainly better than some 400ASA films I've tried.

Personally, I'd like to give coloured filters a proper try and feel that 100/125ASA is probably still a little slow, so I'm looking at films in the 200-400 range.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used FP4 several years ago and what I liked most about it was that it seems to be very forgiving as far as processing mistakes are concerned. Wink

The APX100 is my present favourite film. Everything is very nice about it: grain, tones, dynamic, sharpness, price...