Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A b&w film to suffer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: A b&w film to suffer Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just explained to a friend of mine the f/16 rule and he really felt excited about it. He has a camera without light meter and he wanted to give it a try.
He would be shooting in february in a greek island where weather would be from very cloudy to sunny... As he would be limited from the f/16 he would be shooting outdoors from morning before dawn.
Is there a film that can give results even if it is shot one stop under or over dues to wrong estimation of the lighting condition?

I was thinking for iso 400 hp5.
What is your take?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any film has a couple of stops latitude.

I always use sunny 16 with my old cameras and I've never, ever had problems unless i've accidentally changed the settings. This was about 2 stops underexposed because my camera ran out of settings at 1/25 at f3.5 and 100 ASA film (EV9)

follow the image link back to my album page and look at a few samples

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the iso rating? I guess iso 400 would be good enough or perhaps iso 200?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read recently somewhere (and obviously I can't find it again) that B&W film should give acceptable results from 3 stops under-exposed to 1-stop over. This makes sense to me: shadow detail is retained in deeper shades of grey without all turning black. Conversely, colour negative / print film withstands over-exposure: the highlights retain colour though paler.

There are alternatives to the Sunny 16 rule, in this case Sunset 4 might be appropriate. Using that as a guide, which film speed would be suitable? (Assuming landscapes at f/11):
ISO 100: 1/100 @ f/4 = 1/50 @f/5.6 = 1/25@ f/8 = 1/10 @ f/11
ISO 400: 1/400 @ f/4 = 1/200 @f/5.6 = 1/100 @f/8 = 1/50 @ f/11

As long as the the focal length of the lens is normal (50mm) or wider, he should be able to hand-hold his camera with ISO400 film. Any slower and he'd need a tripod, which would probably be recommended for best results in any case.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilford has a push processing application sheet, http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20062102012331472.pdf
Interesting, though I would do my experimentation before the trip.

Phil