Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bokeh Only!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Not every one will appropriate a photo no single object in focus. Many people will lost their interest if they cannot find a focus point at first glance.

There you find me!
I am not oriental, sorry.
Only a few of the samples in this thread are somewhat interesting for me by stucture and colors, most are not my taste, I must say.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also played with this technique and I think that in order for it to work, you have to be especially attentive to composition and the degree of OOF. My spouse hates anything remotely out of focus; my daughter thought the experiment was interesting.

For what it's worth, Woodrim, I liked your photo. It feels like a reflection, but above the water.

By way of example, I have some examples are some photos I took of some trees decorated for the holiday in our local park. In the first series, I liked the degree of OOF and the less busy composition of the first one the best. The fourth has a focal point by way of comparison. All taken with a Helios 44/4, most wide open, none stopped down more than f4.

For the next two, I found the first one uninteresting and vastly preferred the second with a shallow DOF and a single focal point.

Finally, these of a floral bouquet. The first was too OOF to hold my interest. The second I found pleasing with the suggestion of pattern and the range of colors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK Xenar 3.5/75mm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thanks, Mo and bernhardas. While I love all different kinds of bokeh, I'm still not sure of myself with this form of art. My wife hated it, and then I posted it on a facebook photography forum and got killed. Not a single person there liked it - or they were afraid to say so. There was a long list of deserters. That's okay because it told me what I was wondering. It also opened up good conversation. If this can be considered art, then it is appreciated by select few. I do appreciate some of it, but have not yet settled on understanding where the line is between out-of-focus and bokeh art. In that photography forum I then posted the below image which received much the opposite reaction. All it took was a very small area to the far left that was in focus to change their perceptions. I find that interesting because while their eye may travel there first, to find the point of focus, they then look mostly at the rest of the photo for appreciation. I suspect this means that we have become programmed in photography to always expect that point of focus and have a hard time coping when it isn't there.

Hmmm, yes you are probably right about people's perceptions of images and what they have come to expect from an image - hence looking for something for the eye to latch onto.
However, I think that there is more to it than simply a point of sharpness.
This image of yours is splendid from a number of viewpoints, and viewers will find some comfort in things other than sharpness.
This has a uniformity of tone and it uses line, repetition and pattern to excellent effect. These elements of your composition can - and do - add to the art here.
I reallllyyyyy like this image.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sankyo Kohki Komura 105mm F2. Imagination is needed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica Hexanon 57 1.4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon Practikar 50mm f1.8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, keep them coming!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Calvin, yours reminds me of one of those Japanese or Chinese paintings, with the characters written on the painting as well as the picture.

@woodrim, that is something special

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
@Calvin, yours reminds me of one of those Japanese or Chinese paintings, with the characters written on the painting as well as the picture.

I am trying to apply the concepts from I learned in the Oriental style to this photo. It is nice to hear you can find the elements in Oriental paintings in the photo. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:

This one will be a good example of pictorialist-style photo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinheil Cassar S 2.8/50

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedmaster 50mm + A7 II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Speedmaster 50mm + A7 II

Really interesting shape. I like the colors too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44M 58mm f/2 + Pentax Kr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic lights...but not as we know 'em Jim...

Below...

Not 100% bokeh, but pretty close. Tried a blur but it spoiled the background.

Fujica ST901+Fujinon (non EBC) 1.8/55MM + AGFA VistaPLUS 200

Cool