Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Full frame wide angle lens for painting reproduction?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Full frame wide angle lens for painting reproduction? Reply with quote

Hello, I need to photograph some paintings with my Sony A7R--both details and overalls. The paintings vary in size--some can be meters long. And in many cases I won't have much light or room to move around (in museum galleries or storerooms) and cannot use a tripod. So a traditional 60mm+ macro will likely be too long.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fast-ish wide angle (any brand, any mount) that 1) focuses closely and 2) doesn't have strong geometric distortion when focused up close and 3) doesn't have severe field curvature.

I'm open to macro tubes and helicoids or whatever contraption. I have a Hawk's Leica M to E-mount helicoid adapter.

I realize the above requirements are rather self-contradictory... But I also doubt I'm the first person to have this question! And naturally if I have to give up one requirement, it'll be 2) (fix in post).

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I normally use a Summilux-R 35, but it's a poor performer for this purpose due to its long 0.5m MFD, mid-zone dip, and field curvature (and my copy may be slightly out of calibration and exaggerates these problems at close focus). I had a Summicron-R that was quite good, but I've sold it for $. It also had some strong barrel distortion at close focus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Full frame wide angle lens for painting reproduction? Reply with quote

aly324 wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a fast-ish wide angle (any brand, any mount) that 1) focuses closely and 2) doesn't have strong geometric distortion when focused up close and 3) doesn't have severe field curvature.

It all depends on how wide you want to go.

If you really have to shoot paintings that are a few meters long in a tiny storeroom, then you will have to look for an ultrawide lens, which will always have some flaws, like distortion, field curvature or chromatic aberrations. The Flektogon 20/4 is a cheap option, which is reasonably sharp at F/11, has very little distortion and chromatic aberrations. The modern Zeiss Distagon T* 21/2.8 would certainly be better at wider apertures -- and a lot more expensive too.

For smaller paintings, a 28mm or 35mm lens would be enough. There are many good lenses to choose from at these focal length. The Sigma 35/1.4 "Art" has limited distortion and good sharpness from wide open.

As you have a Sony A7r, why don't you try the Sony Vario Tessar 16-35/4 zoom? It's supposed to be pretty good and, since it's a native FE lens, you will get automatic in-camera corrections for distortion and CA. And it will also give you the flexibility of a zoom so you can adapt your framing to the size of the artwork and the space available.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also try stitching a few pictures together. It might be possible to use a lens with little distortion and get good results.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I would also try stitching a few pictures together. It might be possible to use a lens with little distortion and get good results.

I was thinking the same, shoot sections of the painting, overlapping each by about 20% then stitch it all together in Microsoft ICE or Photoshop

ICE: free download http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/730cd6bb-6450-4e66-8101-a94e71cb0779/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which focal length do you consider ?
I won't go for the Sony zoom. Corner performance is not at the level that you can reach with prime lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Canon TS-E 17 would work. Or stiching with the ts-e 24, but you would need a tripod for that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used with great success Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art but the biggest paintings we have to capture are 2-3m x 1-1.5m

It is amazing already wide open and stopped down you will see any brush movement on the paint. The artist himself says that the pictures are too sharp even for his taste but that is easy remedy in PP. I don't know of any better lens out there, and just to let you know that we sold Zeiss and got Sigma. Much better than Zeiss.

EDIT: I wouldn't go wider than 30mm just in regards of distortion unless you have 24mm Tilt/Shift lens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the ideas!

I do use the Microsoft ICE program to stitch if necessary, but geometric distortion can ruin the stitching. Also the seams can be blurry. I should mention that these are Chinese paintings on paper or silk, not post-Renaissance Western easel paintings--so they are not necessarily hung, but can be scrolls or albums that are laid flat. Also pictorially and chromatically they're generally less eventful than European paintings, which poses a challenge to the stitching software. Good thing is paper and silk aren't as reflective as varnish. Smile

Seems like the Sigma is a good choice. I'll look into that one...

And I hadn't realized that tilt/shift lenses are well corrected for geometric distortion--that makes sense to me. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also don't have CA problems in the corners unless you shift them. I thought that would be specially helpful with paintings where you don't want to falsify color transitions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang do a 24mm tilt shift if you want a new lens. Don't know how good it is, but most of their optics are fairly highly regarded.