Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Biotar 75mm vs. Helios 85mm, how do they differ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Biotar 75mm vs. Helios 85mm, how do they differ? Reply with quote

Hi, I just paid €244 for Helios 85mm (silver, 1966), comparing photos made with quite in detail and I wonder how Helios differs from Biotar?

It is broadly known Helios to be a "cheaper" clone of "great" Biotar, but if so, why the focal length differs? Why is Helios so massively built, so heavy (unlike Biotar)?

What are the most visible differences? And which lens is "better" after all? I guess if you have one you don't need another and vice versa? (Respecting its prices...)

What about sharpness? Does quality of Helioses fluctuate heavily as many other former Soviet lens designs?

Marek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size of the Biotar will depend on which one you are talking about.
See my post here: http://forum.mflenses.com/f1-2-or-f1-4-lenses-with-helios-style-bokeh-t69023.html#1416565 that has links to the different types, the largest is what the Helios was calculated from, the change from 75mm to 85mm is likely because there isn't much space between 58mm and 75mm and that 85 is a "standard" focal length.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all type of 75mm Biotar and I had all kind of Helios 40 except latest newly made one.

Biotar 75mm is sharp wide open , can be awesome sharp depend from your focusing skill and luck , Helios 40 is not, sharpness is okay maximum , Biotar 75mm is perfect and safe to use at F2.0 Helios 40 at f2.8 very sharp too. Helios 40 I think more swirly than Biotar, I like Biotar swirly better. I still have earliest Helios 40 with serial 000233 , I sold all black Helios after try, Biotar 75mm slim is very small lens , Helios is a giant vs Biotar 75mm. I think they are different lenses not related to each other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much both. Biotar was somehow out of sight of my radars so far. Now it looks I might have found a steal Cool So, possibly, I wanted to know whether or not is there any sense to keep them both or the "worst" one gets fired out of the house. (Which's probably really really weird of me, since my Helios 40 not yet arrived Very Happy)