Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens with Bokeh like Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any documented C Mount lenses that produce a similar effect, I know there are a couple of trioplan c mounts out there but are there more triplets available?

considering the shallow dof even on the wide angle ones, I'm just wondering if something's there that can be considered to look further into.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Kodak Cine Ektar 63mm f2.0 I rate it lot higher than Trioplan 100, bokeh same or even better + swirly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Cine Ektar sounds interesting - can it cover FF?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
The Steinheil Cassarit 2.8/50mm:

This image appears more aggressively sharpened than your other examples, correct me if I'm wrong. Sharpening may make a big difference in this type of bokeh, so it would make comparing lenses more difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
edri wrote:
After seeing that there are enough lenses with Trioplan bokeh style, the next topic would be "Lens with Bokeh like Kilfitt Makro-Kilar f2.8 90mm?" Fantastic bokeh.

That can be ended quickly - none. It is the only one to have that. Except Mirror lenses of course ...

If that means the Makro-Kilar has doughnut bokeh, maybe you would like a cine lens with an internal spot filter. I used to have a C-mount 75mm f/1.3 Ernitec with such a filter:

Some test shots with that lens and a Sony NEX 5

at f/1.3:

at f/2.8:

at f/5.6:

There are some interesting lenses that have such a filter, Schneider Xenon 50mm f/0.95 sometimes do, my 70mm f2.2 Tele-Xenar and Vario Tevidons 18-90/2 and 15-150/2 do as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexWicks wrote:
That Cine Ektar sounds interesting - can it cover FF?

No, I don't think so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of undadapted Sankor projection lenses (one has, I think, a 50mm thread in the back, the other tapers down, I need to measure them). I think they're both triplets and just freelensing (I used a Minolta adapter and tube and just held it in front) they provide similar bokeh. Below aren't great examples, but you get the idea.

(btw - both lenses will be on eBay soon with no reserve, would love to see someone adapt them properly)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a nice lens. It is not just bokeh circles, it is a certain type of bokeh circle that looks more like rings without centers filled.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodrim, I have looked at the samples and am aware of the crazy things the Trioplan can do. I freelensed with this thing earlier on and got some shots that were very trioplan like, but I don't know where the card is. Here's another example with a little more bokeh. I will have to freelense with it outside and see if I can recreate the triplet/trioplan like effect I have seen this thing produce.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinheil München Culminar 2.8/85 VL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Steinheil München Culminar 2.8/85 VL

Very nice - very close. There is another factor that I wonder about. The size of the rings relative to the distance focused up when all else is equal. I'm not certain, but suspect the size of the ring may differ even with the same focal length and aperture. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that culminar looks fantastic;) I just realised and it was from a recent purchase that I picked up along with a ARCO 8mm camera a dallmeyer 50mm 2.9 triple that what I suspect is a C mount but has a D mount adapter attached. the adapter is very snug on there and the glass is super dirty so looks like I have some work ahead of me....

actually picked up the kit for $20 because I wanted to see if I could adapt the cine T ARCO 38mm 1.4 to MFT but the image circle is a bit smaller then I hoped for and the lens base is super large so it doesn't seem to be worth the effort but the discovery if the dallmeyer sort of makes up for it!! its a triplet but I don't know what to expect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Telemegor pictures from Marek: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1418295.html#1418295

I'm sure hoping to get the same results from my black version when it arrives. It doesn't always work out that way. WolverineX, who does the Testing My Lenses series, posted pictures from Domiplan taken wide open that I have not been able to duplicate from the bum Domiplan I have.

Oh, BTW, I picked up a 3.5/135 Primotar today. Hoping for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Steinheil Cassarit 2.8/50mm has a trick in the tail

I got mine for Paxette Euro7 including camera Smile

They will go viral now, thank you Klaus you make me rich Smile

kds315* wrote:
Basilisk wrote:
woodrim wrote:
AlexWicks: Tessars are plentiful and cheap. Trioplan 2.9/50 not quite as plentiful, but still not expensive. I chose the Altix version which may be a better version (hearsay) and in my opinion, gives a better ring bokeh. However, I too will be trying a Tessar just for fun. Maybe a Meritar too.

Most if not all lenses provide circles in the bokeh when shot wide open, but only the king Trioplan does it best. You'll notice the others have varying amounts of the desired ring look. Oldhand's most recent example shows rather ordinary circles in comparison.

The relative slowness and short focal length of the Tessars means fairly small bubbles compared with the Trioplan, unless you get it on extension tubes and do some close up work.
Longer lenses allow you to get more of the subject in focus, and bigger background blur simultaneously, hence the popularity of the 100mm Trioplan.

Well, the obvious unwillingness to pay the current Trioplan prices calls for some compromises, right? Wink

The Steinheil Cassarit 3.5/100mm at work:

The Steinheil Cassarit 2.8/50mm:

The Hermagis 80mm projection lens:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexWicks wrote:
Thanks for the advice Very Happy

After a quick look on ebay, all I can find is projectors with 80mm lenses... any idea where I could find one with an 100mm lens?

Have you found one yet? I have recently found one - If I don't like it, I'll make it available. I think I'll like it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diaplan Meyer Optik 80/2.8

Фотографии в альбоме «Diaplan Meyer Optik 80/2.8 объектив от слайд-проектора, без диафрагмы», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Tessar 50/2.8 it can be obtained bubbles.
These can be obtained also with Industar 50-2 which is made by Tesar formula?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INDUSTAR-26M 50/2.8 - softer and has a circular aperture

http://www.thaidphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261783

http://lens-club.ru/gallery/lens/c_413.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am curious by bubbles possibility with the Industar 50/3.5 lens because it is a cheap and very small, easy to carry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am curious by bubbles possibility with the Industar 50/3.5 lens because it is a cheap and very small, easy to carry.

i think its bokeh is like other Russian lenses. i just took this:

and this one is 44-3:

surprisingly found out my 5$ Super-Lentar 35mm f/2.8 M42 (probably tokina made) could do SB bokeh with strong back-light!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about CZJ Triotar lenses? Are they with triplets bubbles?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably yes, edri, but I have not personal experience with triotar lenses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
What about CZJ Triotar lenses? Are they with triplets bubbles?

Once again, all lenses will produce the circular highlights, but it is the Trioplan ringed bubbles that we seek. If the Triotar line does, it is a well guarded secret. I have viewed many images from here: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/triotar/interesting/ and it doesn't appear people are using them to that effect. The very few images I saw with the circular highlights did not match Trioplan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
... I have viewed many images from here: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/triotar/interesting/ and it doesn't appear people are using them to that effect. ....

Very nice images, woodrim! And without soap bubbles Smile Smile
I like triplets

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier in this thread the Tessar was brought up. Take a look here in Attila's facebook page at what this lady does with Tessar https://www.facebook.com/groups/mflensesgallery/search/?query=Daniela%20%C4%8Cern%C3%A1 I am also a fan or her pictures with Pentacon 1.8/50 (Meyer Oreston).