Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens with Bokeh like Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Lens with Bokeh like Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8? Reply with quote

Hi,

Anyone know a lens with Bokeh like the Trioplan? Love the look, just not the £300 price tag Laughing

Preferably adaptable to EF-mount, but I'm considering an A7 so not necessarily

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiplan 2.8/50, CZJ Tessar 2.8/50, Fujinon 2.2/55.

When used wide open these lenses all produce "bubbles" from highlights.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer-Optik Görlitz Primotar 3.5 135

That one is not too far from the trioplan.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Oreston 1.8/50 and...

2.9/50 Trioplan

But the 2.8/100 Trioplan is king.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primotar 135 and Telemegor 180 from the cheapos, compare

If you're about to buy Trioplan, the sooner the better, I guess. I invested €201 (and lost two sold around €180 earlier) about a half year ago which is sort of unreal now.

Very pretty pieces as the mine is Very Happy goes easily over €300. The lens is getting overprized respecting its contribution for you or me as a photograher, like some other scarcer or most wanted (or really damn old) lens. On the contrary, the value of Telemegors stagnates.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:

If you're about to buy Trioplan, the sooner the better, I guess. I invested €201 (and lost two sold around €180 earlier) about a half year ago which is sort of unreal now.

Very pretty pieces as the mine is Very Happy goes easily over €300. The lens is getting overprized respecting its contribution for you or me as a photograher, like some other scarcer or most wanted (or really damn old) lens. On the contrary, the value of Telemegors stagnates.

Is true, I should have bought Trioplan when around $100. And the Telemegor I just bought very inexpensively. Marek: Did you use an extension for any of the butterfly shots? I don't imagine the 5.5/180 MFD to be very short. Some images look heavily processed; did you have to do that to get butterflies sharp? Beautiful renderings.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of lens can produce similar bokeh than Trioplan 100, proper technic more important than lens at first glance, but finally all people end at Trioplan 100, Domiron 50mm f2.0 or Primotar 75mm f1.9, differences are little. People are not silly if they pay 300 UKP for an Eastern block lens that has serious reason. Personally I couldn't handle ever well Trioplan 100, I always sold it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched recently the Trioplan 100mm lens on ebay. Last lenses were sold with prices ranging from 500-600 euros.

I regret not grabbed my M42 LBA earlier. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Diaplan 100mm f/2.8 and Pentacon AV 100mm f/2.8 as mentioned by Markus(ZoneV).
http://www.4photos.de/test/Meyer-Goerlitz-Trioplan-100mm-2.8.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

All Tessar versions?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All triplet scheme lenses give similar effect. For best result look for a similar FL and aperture.
I have these triplets: Prinzflex (rebranded Domiplan) 50/2.8, 80/2.8 from a soviet diaprojector, japanese Promura 135/3.5. I like 80/2.8 most.

edri wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

All Tessar versions?

Domiplan is triplet, not tessar scheme. Don't know about Fujinon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f/2.8 gives nice and bubbly bokeh. It is an old, post-war alu version sold with Ihagee Exa cameras in the 50's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Marek wrote:

Is true, I should have bought Trioplan when around $100. And the Telemegor I just bought very inexpensively. Marek: Did you use an extension for any of the butterfly shots? I don't imagine the 5.5/180 MFD to be very short. Some images look heavily processed; did you have to do that to get butterflies sharp? Beautiful renderings.

I presume my EXA but mint-lookin', clean, well functioning Trioplan might go just as high, but no, no way! Very Happy

Telemegor can be sharp, even wide open. Unlike Trioplan. Sometimes I just screwed to handle the light or sharpness well due to complicated conditions (the sun too high on the sky; formerly the focus ring was very stiff; the butterflies might have been wilder than expected...)

On the other hand, I believe oversharpened Telemegor photos just tend to look far better than oversharpened photos of some other lens, having a certain feel of "photo-graphics" like that nectaring Lasiommata maera family of shots.

No tubes ever used, it's just all MFD. Didn't like it with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Meyer Diaplan 100mm f/2.8 and Pentacon AV 100mm f/2.8 as mentioned by Markus(ZoneV).
http://www.4photos.de/test/Meyer-Goerlitz-Trioplan-100mm-2.8.html

Yes, I have sought for a backup lens and found the Diaplan and Pentacon AV 100mm/2.8 projection lenses as very good copys of the Trioplan. Here I have made a small comparison between some Trioplan alternatives.
I have a Trioplan 100 , Domiplan 50, Primotar 135 and some Diaplan / Pentacon AV lenses with different focal lengths. Love the Trioplan most, but sometimes take the Pentacon AV 80 with me because is is smaller and lighter. Or I take a Diaplan / Pentacon AV 100 in the bag, because they have a bit more focussing range without extension tube in my setup, so a bit easier to work with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Lot's of lens can produce similar bokeh than Trioplan 100, proper technic more important than lens at first glance, but finally all people end at Trioplan 100, Domiron 50mm f2.0 or Primotar 75mm f1.9, differences are little.

Fujinon 1.8/55 - one of the cheapest of the Fujinon lenses and plentiful in the marketplace.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Fujinon 1.8/55 - one of the cheapest of the Fujinon lenses and plentiful in the marketplace.
OH...

No, this is not the Trioplan like bokeh (Soap Bubble Bokeh) people normaly search for.
Here an example, not sure wheter it was made with the Trioplan or Diaplan / Pentacon AV - bokeh with really brighter borders:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same focal length, but the Meyer Gorlitz Oreston ( 50/1.8 ) can produce bubbles or creamy depending on how you use it. It's pretty cheap - I got mine on ebay recently with a camera body for $32 including postage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow incredible bokeh for higlights.
I have not really found on ebay these lenses (Pentacon AV or Diaplan). At what price they sell?
Projection lenses or enlarging lenses means the same thing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Projection lenses or enlarging lenses means the same thing?

No, enlarging lenses are intended for enlarging negatives/slides onto photographic paper, have an aperture and a threaded mount, often m39. Projection lenses are intended for projecting film/slides/video onto a screen and usually have no aperture and no threaded mount, just a barrel that was intended to be focussed in the focus mount of the projector. Also projection lenses are usually faster than enlarging lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

I would have the opportunity to buy a preset Tessar lens. Is it worth the purchase of it for a bokeh like (I know not identical) Trioplan bokeh?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think not every Tessar or Triplet type lens has the same bokeh, so search for lens name an bokeh images.

The Meyer Primotar 135 photo lens ist relative common and cheap.
The Trioplan or Pentacon AV 80mm/2.8 are cheap here in Germany with old East-German projectors (Pentacon Aspectar 150) - but you need some simple DIY.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humulus wrote:
My Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f/2.8 gives nice and bubbly bokeh. It is an old, post-war alu version sold with Ihagee Exa cameras in the 50's.

Can you give an example?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meyer Primotar 135mm f3.5 has the exact same bokeh.
They are super cheap and readily available on ebay.

Examples :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisotruro/15645173396
https://www.flickr.com/photos/valpil58/10058356163
https://www.flickr.com/photos/czajol/12361946565/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Primotar and Telemegor lenses.
But I want a smaller focal length, easier to use in low light.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
...The Trioplan or Pentacon AV 80mm/2.8 are cheap here in Germany with old East-German projectors (Pentacon Aspectar 150) - but you need some simple DIY.

Thanks I have to watch after this projector.
At the moment I found only with Diaplan 80/3.5.