Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony QX1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Sony QX1 Reply with quote

Has anyone got one? What are the impressions?

It has got mixed reviews and I can understand the somewhat puzzling characteristics of the screenless camera that relies on the phone to frame photos. But I thought coupled with the right lens it could make a good street shooter. In case you haven't seen it:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-qx1-body-kit

Anyway soon will get it for work purposes along with the action cam and remote kit so...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it be tethered though the USB cable?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex H wrote:
Can it be tethered though the USB cable?

I think it is only through wifi and NFC.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one might attach a cold shoe and a turret viewfinder?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
one might attach a cold shoe and a turret viewfinder?

not a bad idea!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like a very inconvenient camera.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
To me it looks like a very inconvenient camera.

possibly yes. we actually want to use it in a project where it will be mounted on an automated platform and controlled through a remote so for that it is perfect (less weight etc). But of course I will test for some handheld use once I get it! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, tethered on an automated platform or tripod, making passport/ID pictures, essentially any use where framing is fixed, that's what I thought it's really for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can one tether it to Google glass? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at reviews of this camera, not really knowing what it was. Now I understand, it is a standalone camera that uses a smartphone to view and control it. It uses NFC or wifi to communicate with the phone. Images are stored on a card or the phone.

The main criticism is the speed - or lack of it. It can take as long as a couple of seconds to take an image. In modern cameras that is aeons. Another criticism is the handling - everything is in the wrong place. A few reviewers say the A5000 is similar price and spec but smaller and easier to use.

I suspect this will appeal to gadget heads who are prepared to put up with the inconvenience to look cool.

Of course it is perfect for remote image taking and I'm sure many people will find a use for its unique features.

Now can I do that with my A6000? Probably with the correct app.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the camera today. Will post a detailed impression later, but at the moment charging it. The officially listed charging time is 310 minutes Sad

There is no charger, just charge it through USB.

With the camera (body only), you get a hand grip, tilt adapter (not for the lens, just to tilt the body) and a phone attachment. I also ordered the Sigma 19mm and 30mm so will post some test shots later.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After setting this up and playing it for a while, here's what I think.

1. The camera is awkward to hold in your hand and shoot with it. After around one hour of use, I got slightly better at finding the shutter button, but still it remained awkward, further use may improve it.

2. The camera comes with all the attachments to strap it your smart phone. You can rotate and tilt the camera using the phone attachment or there is a also a hand grip of a sort. The hand grip is a little point less as your fingers are away from the shutter so use of it becomes difficult.

3. Setting it up with wifi is relatively easy with the app. The App interface where you can set PASM modes is slightly hidden but you can still find it.

4. The main thing however is the lag time and speed of taking pictures. With just the shutter button and without any display, it is relatively easy, but of course you don't know the composition or focus points. With your phone as a display, it works reasonably well, and possibly comparable to a p&s. I also have a wrist remote that came with the action cam, which is also compatible with this camera. In this setup, you have to use the camera in complete Auto mode, but for street shooting or remote use it could work quite well. There is a continuous speed shooting mode, which is slower than continuous shooting mode on a normal camera.

Final thoughts. I haven't used it with mf lenses yet, but for normal shooting it is quite slow. They should really work on the speed issues in next firmware updates, if there are going to be any. For the use that I bought it for, which is to remote control it for photogrammetry, this seems like a very good solution.