Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor N-C 24m2.8 & 28mm 3.5 non AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Nikkor N-C 24m2.8 & 28mm 3.5 non AI Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with either one or both of these lenses? They are on sale near me[/img]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 24mm back in the 'good old days' of film and it's very good. At any rate, it produced sparkling Kodachrome slides. No first-hand experience with the 28/3.5, though. It's a fairly early 28mm design so if you want something for critical use on full-frame digital you might want to look at later models.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 24mm and I really like it. Sharp and good character, and pretty wide Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I had the 24mm back in the 'good old days' of film and it's very good. At any rate, it produced sparkling Kodachrome slides. No first-hand experience with the 28/3.5, though. It's a fairly early 28mm design so if you want something for critical use on full-frame digital you might want to look at later models.

I already have the 24 2.8 ai (might be ais), they would be used on my OMD-EM5 and various Nikon film bodies. If he'll go $70 for both, I'll probably bite. They are in user condition.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor N-C 24m2.8 & 28mm 3.5 non AI Reply with quote

jfoote wrote:
Does anyone have experience with either one or both of these lenses? They are on sale near me[/img]

I have the Nikkor-NC 24mm F/2.8, the multicoated non-AI version, which was a very good lens for its time and is still perfectly usable on my full frame Sony A7.

Here's what Bjorn Rorslett says about the Nikon 24/2.8 lens:

Nikon released its major achievement, CRC (Close Range Correction) with this lens in 1968 and it got a well-deserved popularity in the years afterwards. There have been a number of versions of this 24 mm lens, the first without multi-coating and f/16 as minimum aperture, the next multi-coated but still f/16, and the later versions (AI, AIS) going to f/22. Nikon has made several changes to the optical formula during the long life-span of this lens, which still is on Nikon's price list. Earlier versions flared less easily, but could produce quite visible ghosting when employed under strongly backlit situations. Newer versions flare more easily, but the resistance to ghosting has improved provided the lens is well stopped down. It gives very sharp images corner-to-corner even at the near limit thanks to CRC, but beware of field curvature if you are shooting perfectly flat subjects at close range. Some light fall-off towards the corners is evident at f/2.8 and gone by f/4-f/5.6. Set the lens to f/5.6-f/11 to get the best picture quality, but do not stop down to f/22 unless absolutely necessary. It provides excellent results when an ultra-thin K1 ring is added, and gives good results with a 4T close-up lens if some corner softness is accepted. The 24/2.8 MF Nikkor is a classic lens in the Nikon line and one that remains a dependable workhorse to this day.

However, on a D2X or D200 and depending on subject, the CA can be quite troublesome and it surely detracts from the overall sharpness of the 24 lens. So I was quite surprised to observe the excellent image quality my 24/2.8 delivered on the FX models, in particular on the D3X.

From Bjorn Rorslett's Nikon lens evaluations: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

And, besides, this lens is a beautifully crafted tool with a butter-smooth focusing ring:

Credit: Photography in Malaysia

Credit: Photography in Malaysia

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have the 28mm f/3.5 non-ai. I can only tell you about its performance on DX as 28mm is too wide for me on film. Although of course sharpness increases when you stop down the aperture, I never make my exposure decisions based on this, not even for landscapes when I use a tripod. Out of habit I don't shoot wide open, but I would be comfortable doing it. Same goes for vignetting (but of course, this is on DX).

Both lenses have the same filter thread size as most Nikkors (52mm). Since they are wide-angles I'm assuming you might take some landscapes with them, so the similar thread size is nice.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 24mm f/2.8 AI and I find it to be an excellent lens, albeit a bit soft in the corners. Years ago I owned a pre-AI 28mm f/3.5. It was also an excellent lens. I think it's hard to go wrong with the 28/3.5, regardless of when it was made. Here's a shot I took with my 24/2.8 AI. Kodak Ektar 100 film, Nikon F2 Photomic. Exposure unrecorded, but the lens was probably stopped down to f/8. Note the softness of the grass in the corners:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

jfoote wrote:

I already have the 24 2.8 ai (might be ais), they would be used on my OMD-EM5 and various Nikon film bodies. If he'll go $70 for both, I'll probably bite. They are in user condition.

$70 for BOTH? That would be really, really, cheap. Good luck.