Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor SF C 145mm 1:4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor SF C 145mm 1:4 Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation on your new lens and thanks for the samples. Incidently I have this lens for a while but have yet to buy an adapter to try it on. Looking at your photos I know I have to get the adapter ASAP. BTW how is the handling with this lens mounting on the 1? Being a medium format, this lens is hugh!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase!
The IQ is very nice. On FF the softness/sharpness gradation could be even better, I think.
I have its bigger and older brother, the RB 150mm SF lens, and I think it's one of the best ever SF lenses.
Yours seems to have similar IQ. A killer portrait lens, indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Oldhand asked me about this lens in a PM.

Unfortunately I did not yet have time to give the Test rounds on FX format that would make me feel that I am mastering the lens.

Depending on the light it has some softening even at the blue (lowest) marking fully open @4.
From about @8 onwards the picture becomes crisp.

Moving the soft ring means that focus and reproduction ratio changes (it has a real zoom effect).
So finding the right composition and softness can be a bit of workflow.

Nevertheless it can be crisp like in the first picture of my second post above. But no one would buy the lens for crispness. (There are many lighter more uncomplicated and faster 150 choices around).

The softening has its own flavor and can not be really be compared to soft filters or other soft lenses (that I own).

In that sense it is a unique lens. Can I recommend it? If you are looking for a nice soft lens with a good possibility to vary the effect at different apertures and that can be crisp from @8 onwards than yes. If you want a complete collection of "lens effects" then also yes.

If you want a 150ish crisp lens at all apertures then there are better choices.

Thank you Bernhard for your considered opinion.
It will be interesting to see how this lens performs for you when you can find the time to get back to it.
Much appreciated
OH