Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210mm/F3.8-4 on D610
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210mm/F3.8-4 on D610 Reply with quote

I often read that cheap lenses suffer on FX sensors...but I still like to see what can be gotten from them......

It's nice that I can meter with them on the Nikon, and it's nice that the 610's LED confirm focus works well too...also nice that I can view/focus wide open while the aperture is set for a smaller aperture....

I just shot this with the really cheap manual focus Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210mm/F3.8-4....ISO 3200....@ F8.

The quality of the 610 sensor's IQ @ 3200 make it possible to use F8 with a nice fast shutter speed in cloudy situations getting the most out of such lenses...

This is full frame and 2 crops, center and corner...
These are not 100% crops because that isn't how I shoot..

However, these are 3200 pixels wide crops reduced to 1600 wide, crops I may have to resort to, and are posted here as examples of how well the 610 works with such a "low-rent" lens....Of course, the less cropping the better.

...I've had the 610 for only a week and I'm very impressed with how much I can get out of my lenses....most are Nikkor primes, but the Vivitar Series1 zooms I have and this Tamron are surprisingly good...

70FF by kitaflix, on Flickr

70C32u42 by kitaflix, on Flickr

70Cc32u42 by kitaflix, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont need that fast a shutter speed if you hold the camera securely and use breath control.
1/200 should give you reliable results at 200mm.
I dont know your Nikon but your image quality will usually improve a lot if you keep ISO at 400 or less.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some misunderstandings about using 35mm lenses on FF.
Some can really suffer out of the center especially the mediocre WAs or some standards if wide open.
Flare can be also a bigger problem than with smaller sensors.
Distortion is higher too.
But if the lens has some qualities , those will shine more on a FF sensor than on a smaller one. This is probably due to the crop factor .the pixel density and better dynamic.
About old zooms, they can suffer of a lack of contrast and of washed colours. I don't think this will be better with smaller sensors.
Since I have my A7, I can't stop buying legacy lenses !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a well known model with great image quality for very little outlay Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
This is a well known model with great image quality for very little outlay Smile

Spot on. It's a 46A, I think. Just look at those center resolution numbers. That's not chopped liver:

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/46A.html