Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 6 Biometar 80mm f2.8 on Canon 60d
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 6 Biometar 80mm f2.8 on Canon 60d Reply with quote

I have started buying P6 lenses, as they are so cheap and yet just as good as M42 etc. counterparts. Smile

I recently got this Biometar, in Zebra outfit, and I really like it.

Here are some samples. All are shot on dreary days, mostly wide open, and handheld, often while running after little ones.
So there may be some motion blur or high iso issues. Either way, I love how it renders, and can't wait to try it under better conditions!

Shot in the rain. A post apocalyptic feel. Smile

Focus is in a weird place but hey...

Autumn. Sorry, I have shaky hands.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the radioactivity feel ?Wink

Nice lens, the zebra version is the best one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

araucaria wrote:
How does the radioactivity feel ?Wink

Nice lens, the zebra version is the best one.

It feels a bit like I am in STALKER the movie Wink

Good to hear about the Zebra being the good version, as I prefer zebras for aesthetic reasons Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite impressive!!

I liked that movie a lot, bit eerie, although nothing really happend - but in the viewers head it does Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rickdenney.com/mother_lens_test.htm (strange, I remember seeing the 120mm in that test...)

I've always feeled tempted to get a Pentacon 6 but I already have too many Medium Format stuff...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Quite impressive!!

I liked that movie a lot, bit eerie, although nothing really happend - but in the viewers head it does Wink

I love it to bits, even if it leaves you yearning for more to have happened Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

araucaria wrote:
http://www.rickdenney.com/mother_lens_test.htm (strange, I remember seeing the 120mm in that test...)

I've always feeled tempted to get a Pentacon 6 but I already have too many Medium Format stuff...

That is an amazing test heh.

I don't use it on a medium format camera. Just mounted on my Canon 60d Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try a pentacon 6 with film while you can, totally different feel and amazing estetics. You can always resell it for the same amount or more later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am developing a lot of love for this lens. I'm also becoming very interested in buying its original camera...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working P6s can be a bit thin on the ground. Better to buy a more modern camera like a Mamiya 645 and get an adapter to use P6 lenses on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the later version of this lens.
It is very nice as you have shown.
On mine, there is a visible difference in sharpness between wide open and stopped down (of course there is Very Happy ) but the bokeh is better wide open (of course it is, I hear you say Very Happy )
Anyhoo, here are a couple wide open and closed up a little.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used my P6 Biometar a lot as it feels clumsy on an NEX camera but the few times I have used it I've been impressed with its performance. This is my personal favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely soft colours there newst.
Worth persevering with this lens in spite of its size on the NEX
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldhand. I'll be taking it out again in the spring when there is something worth photographing again. I'm interested to see how it works on the Sony A7 and I now have its 120mm big brother to take out along with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Thanks Oldhand. I'll be taking it out again in the spring when there is something worth photographing again. I'm interested to see how it works on the Sony A7 and I now have its 120mm big brother to take out along with it.

The 120mm is very similar.
You might not notice a lot of difference - shallower DOF is one of course.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get either the 80mm or 120mm, but other than ebay, I don't really know where else to get them from. I can use them then with an adaptor with my Canon, and at some point I'm planning on getting a film camera from Arax and I can use them with that too. It' great to see how well the lens performs on digital, gives me some idea how it will look!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodge wrote:
I want to get either the 80mm or 120mm, but other than ebay, I don't really know where else to get them from. I can use them then with an adaptor with my Canon, and at some point I'm planning on getting a film camera from Arax and I can use them with that too. It' great to see how well the lens performs on digital, gives me some idea how it will look!

Hello Hugh, I have posted a few images from the 2.8/120 for comparison on a new thread here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-2-8-120-for-pentacon-6-on-k-10d-t70019.html

OH