Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor RE 135/3.5 Goes to College
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Topcor RE 135/3.5 Goes to College Reply with quote

I've seen some nice examples and read all the praises. Now I can see it for myself and this lens knocks my socks off. Two words come to mind: crisp and faithful. Beyond a little output sharpening, I haven't even been tempted to do any pp in LR/PS with images from this lens. It's just that good across the board SOOC. And this is coming from an admitted Zeiss fanboy. Smile

I haven't set foot on my old college campus in. . . well, let's just say quite a while. But for some reason found myself there on this nice bright day. All shot at f/8, except the last three were wide open. What surprises me is that there were plenty of opportunities for CA, but it didn't happen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that lens, every time someone posts pictures with one it makes me want one. Great pictures, I can see why you're happy with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, I was tempted to get one, but I don't think I will, as I'm very happy with the older Topcor R 135/3.5 preset, it's just fabulous.
The RE 200/4(sorry, f5.6) should be much the same as the RE 135/3.5, as my R 200/4 is much the same as my R 135/3.5, which is to say that it's as sharp as I could ever want wide open, and it has great colour fidelity,

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly great lens as these samples show, probably my sharpest 135 wide open (and one of the three I kept), with amazing build quality and extremely pleasant rendering. The built-in telescopic hood is a great plus.
The only little issue is a tad of CA at wider apertures in OOF areas, but that can be easily avoided with a bit of attention (with live view).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R. Topcor 135/3.5 is the same formula as the later various Auto-Topcors. I suppose being a preset lens, it's more handy with mount adapters.

I always loved the 100/2.8 so much that the 135/3.5 never got much use.

There is no RE. Auto-Topcor 200/4. It's a 200/5.6. As you can see by the posted reviews, it's not the best of the Topcors.

The R. Topcor 200/4, which isn't too rare, is a better choice. Again, it has the present advantage on adapters.

The Cimko-manufactured RE Topcor 200/3.3 is too prone to incurable haze to recommend, although a good sample isn't bad. You can get it in many mounts under different brand names.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a few different versions of this lens? Can you post a picture of it please?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here have the R 135/2 ? I've been tempted by it for a long while, been looking for the R 90/3.5 too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
It's a 200/5.6. As you can see by the posted reviews, it's not the best of the Topcors.

John: Do you have experience with the 5.6/200 or are you just referring to what has been reported? I read that somewhere too, and I know the technical tests support the notion of lower resolution when compared to other Topcors. However, I do have one and am not at all disappointed. I recently took it and the Rokkor 4/200 out together and find the results remarkable similar with the Topcor having less CA. The Rokkor is highly regarded.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Now, I just bought an RE Super body on Ebay for $100. Guess what I'm going to be looking for next! Twisted Evil

These shots are incredibly sharp and detailed. Are they scanned prints, or have you mounted the lens on a DSLR? Enquiring minds want to know!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moltogordo wrote:
Wow! Now, I just bought an RE Super body on Ebay for $100. Guess what I'm going to be looking for next! Twisted Evil

These shots are incredibly sharp and detailed. Are they scanned prints, or have you mounted the lens on a DSLR? Enquiring minds want to know!

You're still doing film? Most of what you see in these posts are from digital.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moltogordo wrote:
Are they scanned prints, or have you mounted the lens on a DSLR? Enquiring minds want to know!

These were all shot digital with Canon 450D in raw format and handheld. I use an Exakta mount adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
moltogordo wrote:
Are they scanned prints, or have you mounted the lens on a DSLR? Enquiring minds want to know!

These were all shot digital with Canon 450D in raw format and handheld. I use an Exakta mount adapter.

Thanks! Some very fine photography here.

Yes, woodrim, I do all of my black and white on film, and scan prints. That's about 35% of my photography. To me, I'd be lost without a darkroom!

For color, I do digital, shooting both Canon and Pentax.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one comparison roll of 200mm lenses on my Super D, and the RE. Auto-Topcor 200/5.6 wasn't all that impressive. I decided that the RE Topcor (Cima Kogaku) 200/3.3 wasn't bad, and it's light, and meter-coupled. I think I recall that the R. Topcor 200/4 was probably the best, but for the shoot I was comparing for, the speed of the 3.3 was what I wanted. I think I also tested a Komura Uni-Auto 200/3.5 in that round.

I have the R. Topcor 135/2. It's a beast. Even have the right hood, but not the correct lens cap. (Amazed I found the hood separately, and cheap. I doubt I will ever find the correct lens cap.) It is large and awkward. Only done some very cursory test shots with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
I did one comparison roll of 200mm lenses on my Super D, and the RE. Auto-Topcor 200/5.6 wasn't all that impressive. I decided that the RE Topcor (Cima Kogaku) 200/3.3 wasn't bad, and it's light, and meter-coupled. I think I recall that the R. Topcor 200/4 was probably the best, but for the shoot I was comparing for, the speed of the 3.3 was what I wanted. I think I also tested a Komura Uni-Auto 200/3.5 in that round.

I have the R. Topcor 135/2. It's a beast. Even have the right hood, but not the correct lens cap. (Amazed I found the hood separately, and cheap. I doubt I will ever find the correct lens cap.) It is large and awkward. Only done some very cursory test shots with it.

I'd like to see some from 2/135.