Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

28mm f3.5 on Sony A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: 28mm f3.5 on Sony A7 Reply with quote

28mms are cheap and easy to find WA ,especially the 3.5. They are good landscape lenses.
Here is a comparison at 5.6 with a Sony A7
Kit Zoom Sony 28/70, MD X Rokkor, MC Rokkor SG, Pentax SMC K, SMC Takumar M42.

then cropped

The Pentax K is for me the winner and the MD X Rokkor is good too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, seems so, and the K 28/3.5 is best know for its performance Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you, good comparison.
I am quite surprised by the rather poor performance of the Takumar in what should be close to the center.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this Tak new in 1971. Perhaps it suffered during my different moves.
The crop is on the border . In the corners the Tak is still better than the MC SG .
I shall try to make another comparison from a shorter distance.
I got the K last week. I can only recommend this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot open big size photos on Serving.com. It would help to see them. Perhaps better to upload at MFlenses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Thanks you, good comparison.
I am quite surprised by the rather poor performance of the Takumar in what should be close to the center.

when I compared sharpness of a handful or two of 28mm lenses last year the Takumar didn't perform all that well neither, but the Pentax A 2.8/28 was great ( and the K lens was not included )
the Minolta MD X looks really good too

edit: the S-M-C Takumar 3.5/28 still is a fabulous lens though, have taken some of my better photos with it

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kit zoom is that bad? Surprised Or is it just focused badly?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
The kit zoom is that bad? Surprised Or is it just focused badly?

At 28mm it is ok in the center. The quality inceases with the focal length . It is considered as medium-medium+ for a kitzoom but 28mm is its weakness. The results at 28mm are not consistent with the focusing distance ( internal focusing,
It is not ridiculous when compared with the more expensive FE 24/70 Zeiss.
Frankly I don't use it because I prefer manual focusing ! It came with the camera.
Comparing a kitzoom with a prime is not very fair.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know so that when/if I buy an A7x or whatever, I'll take the body only and no kit zoom. With so bad quality it's not worth a single cent. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Good to know so that when/if I buy an A7x or whatever, I'll take the body only and no kit zoom. With so bad quality it's not worth a single cent. Smile

I would not go so far in my judgment and AF can be usefull in some occasions . I made some nice pictures with it. As a kit it is cheap.
I just bought the A7 to use 24x36 SLR prime lenses. Good standard and tele lenses are easy to find. WA are more problematic in my opinion especially out of the center.

In addiiton to my test, I found no CA on the SMC 28 K. The MD needed some correction in PP but it is easy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I cannot open big size photos on Serving.com. It would help to see them. Perhaps better to upload at MFlenses.

How can I do ?
I am interested as the posting through servimg gives a really bad quality on the MF Lenses site.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
My copy of S-M-C Tak 28/3.5 was kinda similar. In addition, it featured really nasty CA even at f/8.0.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little supprised too, about the kitzoom! It was quite nice to see it compared to older lense and you should test it against other lenses and focal lengts too IMO Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

How can I do ?
I am interested as the posting through servimg gives a really bad quality on the MF Lenses site.
Thanks

When writing a new new message, click on the "Upload picture" button above the panel. (Don't use the "Drag and Drop upload" link)

The UploadPic panel pops up. Click on the Browse button and select the file you want to upload, and click on the Send button. Wait while it uploads.

When you see the picture appear in the panel, click on the word "standard" below the picture and a link is inserted into your message.

Simple as that.

If your pic is over 1024 px wide the forum software will resize it to comply with our limits, but the image will be clickable to view the
full size. I like to resize images myself to 1024, that way you can control the quality. Also it's best to keep your uploads max 1600px
wide because people with slower connections will have trouble viewing it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you it is very clear !

Nordentro, well , the comparison with standard lenses is also hard as those are usually good and fast. I shall try to post examples.
At 70 mm I can only compare it to a Canon FD 85 1.8 which is a really sharp lens. The competition is not fair.

This kit zoom is doing a good job for the price but it is like every kit zoom slow and a mix bag.
The question often discussed is if the Zeiss. 24/70 can justify its price.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Olympus Zuiko 28/3.5 to be a nice sharp lens and good bargain as well. One of of forum members recently had some night pics of a rocket launching taken with the Olympus 28/2.8 and the Olympus 28/3.5, I am sorry I don't have the proper credit at the moment, but they were excellent shots.

Edit: It was Mike Deep, in digital gallery

http://forum.mflenses.com/two-zuiko-28s-and-a-falcon-9-rocket-t68272,highlight,%2Bzuiko+%2B28.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I decided to try to make some portraits with a 28mm which is unusual for me.
After the above test , I chose the MD 28 3.5 the cheapest Rokkor 28mm you can buy. (49mm filter thread)
People are focused on the MCs (all metal construction) and on the fast versions.
No sharpening.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my new SMC K 28 f3.5 during a week end in Sevilla and could make some shots.
I discovered by chance the existence of this lens on this forum . I thought that K were S Tak with a bayonet mount. It was a mistake.

next one not sharp but I like it