Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony A7II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably switch in my A7R for this one. Layout of the buttons looks better indeed and I have missed my IBIS from OMD when filming my daughter Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it really was a little tongue in check, but honestly not that much.

I mean let's be honest. The amplifiers strapped onto our sensors now are pretty dam good. ISO 1600 is nearly the new 100. So just how important is this new feature?

And printing, heck images at 6400 ISO look sharp at 200dpi from those a7's

So heck, apart from inventing reasons on paper why this is good... Well, are there shots that existing a7 owners can't get?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Well it really was a little tongue in check, but honestly not that much.

I mean let's be honest. The amplifiers strapped onto our sensors now are pretty dam good. ISO 1600 is nearly the new 100. So just how important is this new feature?

And printing, heck images at 6400 ISO look sharp at 200dpi from those a7's

So heck, apart from inventing reasons on paper why this is good... Well, are there shots that existing a7 owners can't get?

well, longer handheld shutter speed will enable lower ISO, or, if so desired, smaller aperture at low light ( at least as long as moving objects don't have to be 'frozen' ) which, however good the high ISO performance of existing cameras might be, still is a viable advantage.
personally I find the deeper grip and relocated shutter button just as much exciting, but still miss the EVC to be articulating

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "menu" and "C3" button are normaly placed now. That was a quite unconfortable place on A7...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps IBIS is useful for static or slow moving subjects (landscapes) and for shooting video, but I've never utilised it for anything else for fear of subject blur. Hopefully the new camera will put fixes in place for my previous list of moans Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if "silent shutter" (electronic curtain like they have on A7S) availability is implemented on the A7 II? Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I wonder if "silent shutter" (electronic curtain like they have on A7S) availability is implemented on the A7 II? Surprised

Yes, it's in the official specs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/just-announced-sony-a7-mark-ii-mirrorless-camera

But one of my friends, who works in Electronic Engineering field, said that the electronic shutter control or having no actual shutter will make the life time of the sensor shorten because it's like always ON.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know, but it can be handy to have the posibility in some situations, thx Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Yes, it's in the official specs: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/just-announced-sony-a7-mark-ii-mirrorless-camera

But one of my friends, who works in Electronic Engineering field, said that the electronic shutter control or having no actual shutter will make the life time of the sensor shorten because it's like always ON.

it says: "Electronic first curtain shutter available"
does that necessarily mean that it is silent like the one of the A7s? I ask because e.g. my NEX5n also has electronic shutter first option, but that one isn't silent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Langstrum wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

it says: "Electronic first curtain shutter available"
does that necessarily mean that it is silent like the one of the A7s? I ask because e.g. my NEX5n also has electronic shutter first option, but that one isn't silent.

No, it doesn't mean the camera will have silent shutter. I'm sorry, I was so excited so I forgot that. But the specs means it's possible. We have to wait to see some hand on reviews to confirm that. It's possible to all cameras that allow Electronic first curtain shutter, I think, by modifying the firmware. However, it's not likely that Sony will make it silent because the body already has IBIS, so shutter movement will have minimal, even not at all effect on the photo.

There is a law prohibiting silent cameras, I don't know how Sony can pass it with A7S Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:

There is a law prohibiting silent cameras, I don't know how Sony can pass it with A7S Shocked

there is? where and why? The A7s isn't the only camera that's silent. Well, the 28mm module for my Ricoh GXR is as much as silent, I suppose other module are too, I believe some M4/3rd cameras are silent.
and even though I had expressed doubts, I'd think that the specs do suggest that it is silent like the A7s, but most likely we only will be certain once the camera has been reviewed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Langstrum wrote:

there is? where and why? The A7s isn't the only camera that's silent. Well, the 28mm module for my Ricoh GXR is as much as silent, I suppose other module are too, I believe some M4/3rd cameras are silent.
and even though I had expressed doubts, I'd think that the specs do suggest that it is silent like the A7s, but most likely we only will be certain once the camera has been reviewed

I heard it over and over that in Japan, even the camera can mute the shutter, they still have to make sound while capturing, to prevent perverts taking dirty photos. I'm living in Korea and I'm sure the same law is applied to phone cameras, but I'm not sure about DSLR, mirrorless. Maybe because they just stated that electronic control is an option, which means the camera still can make sound, to avoid that issue with the law. Is there any camera that shoots completely silent without switching that option on?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking if I where in weddings, shooting people who make speeches or some cool street photo of people. The A7R shutter is almost as loud as a medium format camera! Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:

I heard it over and over that in Japan, even the camera can mute the shutter, they still have to make sound while capturing, to prevent perverts taking dirty photos. I'm living in Korea and I'm sure the same law is applied to phone cameras, but I'm not sure about DSLR, mirrorless. Maybe because they just stated that electronic control is an option, which means the camera still can make sound, to avoid that issue with the law. Is there any camera that shoots completely silent without switching that option on?

oh, interesting! but can't most smartphones, the most stealth cameras out there, take photos with sound turned off?
the mentioned Ricoh module is soundless by default and I don't even know if there is a sound that can be turned on, but than again it isn't 'absolutely' soundless like the A7s can be, but just 'as much as', still I suppose that on a metro train, even from close range, the sound could not be heard. A friend of mine had a m4/3rd Panasonic that was soundless, but only if set so.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But one of my friends, who works in Electronic Engineering field, said that the electronic shutter control or having no actual shutter will make the life time of the sensor shorten because it's like always ON"

I'm pretty sure the sensor is always on in any mirrorless camera - otherwise there would be nothing to see in the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is we will need to use adapters (for our MF lens) with electrical contacts with the new A7 II to activate the 5-axis stabilization. I hope I am wrong though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
My guess is we will need to use adapters (for our MF lens) with electrical contacts with the new A7 II to activate the 5-axis stabilization. I hope I am wrong though.

Wrong. For IBIS, you can select the lens focal length on A7II.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/676/968/html/sony13.jpg.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
my_photography wrote:

Wrong. For IBIS, you can select the lens focal length on A7II.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/676/968/html/sony13.jpg.html

( dialing in the focal lengths of lenses not recognized by the camera, that is of adapted lenses, for the camera to know how to best operate it's inbody stabilization is how Pentax dSLRs do it, I believe also Olympus mirrorless. A Pentax prompt you to do this whenever a lens without electrical contacts is detected. )

I take the fact that the A7II allows for dialing in the focal lengths of an adapted lens as an indication that Sony actually, even if it officially seems to deny it, does aim the camera to users of adapted lenses. This raises my hopes, even that it's sensor might work better with rangefinder wide angles than it's predecessors do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One benefit with IBIS, at least as implemented with Olympus, is that its activated for the evf as well. It makes focusing longer focal lengths a tad easier apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I have a buyer on my A7R so I will probably move over to A7 II now Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your a7r has very low shutter count.
I'm keep asking myself if you are using it at all Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3200 pictures was my final count on the A7R Wink
I sold mine today and I´m not a A7R owner any more Rolling Eyes

Fantastic camera, insane resolution and fabolous dynamics... but my hart points me in the direction of A7 II now... Wink

I will play with my OM-D and my c-mounts until they can deliver A7 II Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
3200 pictures was my final count on the A7R Wink
I sold mine today and I´m not a A7R owner any more Rolling Eyes

Fantastic camera, insane resolution and fabolous dynamics... but my hart points me in the direction of A7 II now... Wink

I will play with my OM-D and my c-mounts until they can deliver A7 II Very Happy

in Japan already selling online, in shops after December 5th, and cheapest Amazon offer for only for abt. 1550 usd, most expensive for abt. 1800, but that from stores that have a 10% point policy ( meaning one gets 180 discount on any following purchase. just saying because of the price, don't buy a Sony camera from Japan! they come in "Japanese only", can't select any other language for the menu )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"just saying because of the price, don't buy a Sony camera from Japan! they come in "Japanese only", can't select any other language for the menu"

Can't a firmware update or some kind of "soft" intervention fix that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listera wrote:
"just saying because of the price, don't buy a Sony camera from Japan! they come in "Japanese only", can't select any other language for the menu"

Can't a firmware update or some kind of "soft" intervention fix that?

no, not that I know if. many have tried with earlier models, flashing firmware of e.g. NEX, but nobody yet has reported success. ( Some 9 years ago I had bought a Japanese Panasonic video cam that also was 'Japanese only', bought it nevertheless because it sold for double the price in Europe. Many tried to do something about it but noone ever had reported success. I believe that Panasonic is the only other maker that does this, and not with every model. Japanese Canon cams had been reported too, but actually one can change language on those, just that, at least on some models if not most, if set to Japanese they don't indicated in English where to set the language and that makes it very tricky to find the needed menu option )
Sony also sales socalled 'export models' here in Japan, that is 'international models' on which one can select from a large number of languages, but they sell those more expensively than anywhere else.