Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast lens de-yellowing without a UV lamp
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blende8 wrote:
I hope you all know this classic?

http://web.aanet.com.au/bayling/repair.html
(Not for the faint of heart.)

At the very least, this guy should be hung, drawn and quartered! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
blende8 wrote:
I hope you all know this classic?

http://web.aanet.com.au/bayling/repair.html
(Not for the faint of heart.)

At the very least, this guy should be hung, drawn and quartered! Shocked

Slowly!! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone actually duplicate this Ikea experiment? Person posted one claiming it works? Either you sheepishly follow along and agree without challenging it or you don't?

I tried duplicating it with the same exact lens, it had 0 impact using the Ikea lamp - none at all - the sun works, this nonsense about cloudiness and necessary desert skies is just another Old Husband's Tale.... UV penetrates clouds nicely

Now it's April 25th, over a week and approaching 250 hours of continuous Ikea light, rear element end and front element end, removed the rear element assembly and directed it through from there...the longest of all methods....72 hours, no results at all ....NONE

Monday evening of this week I started a new process of flipping the lens over every 12 hours, lens completely assembled no element groups removed

I believe I'm seeing progress, it is still overall a pale yellow easily noticed....the deep bright "turn signal" yellow reflections deep inside the glass may actually be less brilliant...then again, Maybe I want to see results?

Time will tell...

It's not been 24 hours or even 96 hours for that matter...not even a week produced results, about 10 days before I could actually claim any noticeable change (if there actually is....verdict is not ratified yet)

Also this, I do a regular search on ebay for the 28 2.5 Minolta's..... no one is selling any by advertising one as "cured" that I can see? All offered appear "yellow"?

That's not scientific and requires more monitoring, however it is the reality that yellow lenses outnumber clear ones by a margin of better 100 to 1 in the market where this supposed "fix/cure" is so easy and so quick to apply and perform that no one bothers doing it ....????

It either does not work or it takes considerable more time than advertised to work, after 250 hours I still have a yellow lens ...maybe fading, maybe not

Snake Oil Status until evidence proves otherwise in my book 4 weeks is the end of the line, that's about the time it would take sunlight to affect one