Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How many different focal reducer manufacturers are there?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: How many different focal reducer manufacturers are there? Reply with quote

Last week I purchased a second hand Fuji X-E1 and have been looking into the different focal reducers to use with my small collection of mflenses on this body. I've noticed that there is a lot of different brands to choose from and a lot of them look very similar so there must be a lot of rebranding going on.

I know the original focal reducer is the Metabone Speed Booster and the first chinese copy is Zhongyi (Mitakon) Lens Turbo version I which was followed by mk II (which still seems to have the best in price/IQ ratio). The Zhongyi seems to be sold under some other names too.

But who makes the others? Camdiox, Roxsen, Siocore, Baveyes etc?

Well actually I'm not interested in who makes them but I'd like to know which ones are actually from the same assembly line? so that I can narrow down my options.

It also occurred to me that wouldn't it be a good idea the make sticky post here about focal reducers like the adapter reviews? People could post small reviews of their focal reducers and and all the info would be preserved in one place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who made the others but I recommend Zhongyi Lens Turbo too the http://www.zyoptics.net/product/zhongyi-lens-turbo-adapters-for-fuji-x-mount-cameras-fx/ .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time with google image search and so far (mainly based on appearance) I think that there are basically five different makes of focal reducers:

Metabones
Zhongyi /Mitakon, Lens turbo I and II
Kipon Baveyes
Roxsen (this one is sold under many many brands like Pixco, RJ, Camdiox, Siocore etc)
Vizelex Light Cannon probably the same as Spped+ identified by color anodized ring

The Vizelex light cannon seems to be sold now as "Soft Focus adapter" since the optics were so poor. Apparently the Roxsen (and many other names) seems to be okayish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roxsen ones are from rjcamera Germany I have one its very good