Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summicron-R 90mm F2 on NEX 5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Leica Summicron-R 90mm F2 on NEX 5N Reply with quote

This is my only Leica lens. I found one at affordable price when I searching for other lenses. The serial number of my lens is 287xxxx, which is produced in 1977. The MFD of this lens is about 0.7 meter, which is pretty good for a 90mm.

This lens is decently sharp at F2, improve a bit at F2.8 and become pretty good at F4. The borders look ok to me at F2 and become decently sharp at F2.8. The contrast is pretty good overall for a single coated lens. The flare resistant is not so good but build-in hood really helps in many situations.

All my photos posted in this section are processed with the same way with minimal amount of processing.

For best experience, click the photo for larger size.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a fine lens you got Calvin! There is some pronounced OOF CA visible (birds), but that can be handled with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Certainly a fine lens you got Calvin! There is some pronounced OOF CA visible (birds), but that can be handled with.

Thank you my friend. It seems more people will prefer the Elmarit for its better contrast and resolution. Unlike the Elmarit, this lens has it own character at F2 to F2.8. You can see a very nice balance between the contrast in focus area and the contrast OOF area. This is the reason why i say this is a very good portrait lens.

The control of lateral CA is not very good at close distance(the bird in #1 is only one to two meters away). At far distance, the lateral CA is not prominent(refer to the wide open shot at #6).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Thank you my friend. It seems more people will prefer the Elmarit for its better contrast and resolution. Unlike the Elmarit, this lens has it own character at F2 to F2.8. You can see a very nice balance between the contrast in focus area and the contrast OOF area. This is the reason why i say this is a very good portrait lens.

The control of lateral CA is not very good at close distance(the bird in #1 is only one to two meters away). At far distance, the lateral CA is not prominent(refer to the wide open shot at #6).

That was my impression too, CA is quite a bit more prominent at close ups. Sharpness + contrast really calls for portrait!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens. I used one for a few months... A heavy little beast but sure it has character. The kind of lens where the early tests are "meh", and when you take it for a walk, shoot people and see the results, it always became a "wow" ! I miss it sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
Very nice lens. I used one for a few months... A heavy little beast but sure it has character. The kind of lens where the early tests are "meh", and when you take it for a walk, shoot people and see the results, it always became a "wow" ! I miss it sometimes.

Leica use a lots of glass and metals to build this lens... For shoot people, this lens is a "wow". For far objects, it is better to go for a Elmarit.