Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old Tamron Preset Zooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Old Tamron Preset Zooms Reply with quote

All but one of them -

left to right -
95-205/6.3 - 910P - the earliest "consumer" zoom;
95-205/5.6 - PZ-60P this one is new for me, and in excellent condition.
95-250/5.6 - PZ-20
200-400/6.3 - PZ-70

Still missing is the rather uncommon 55-90 f/4

These are all the first generation t-mount preset zoom lenses made by Taisei Kogaku, as Tamron was then known, all from the early to mid-1960's.

They can be found in various brands of course. One of mine is a Taisei Bushnell.

Under whatever brand, oddly enough, they didn't vary in cosmetics within the type, though they do vary considerably in cosmetics between the models. The cheaper ones - 95-205's and 95-250 - notably seem to have partially silk screened markings instead of engraved. The do look more cheaply finished than other Tamron lenses. Who knows why.

All are "trombone" type zooms that are actually "one touch" - one hand can both zoom and focus. They are constant aperture.
All are quite good actually, very usable in the long end, quite sharp but with noticeable CA wide open. The biggest problem with them is very long minimum focus, which is quite absurd at the short end. 6 ft/2m for 95mm is quite a poor showing vs a prime.

There certainly are much better cheap zooms these days, so these are collectors items, historical curiosities.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: 95-205 5.6 question Reply with quote

I recently purchased one of these lenses for a few bucks, at a local thrift store. It is the 95-205 f5.6.

I notice that the aperture is somehow set via two rings. Could someone please explain to me how this system works?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preset aperture makes most sense if you have an external exposure meter: First you choose the time and aperture with help of the meter. Then you set the one ring with numbers [*] to selected apeture. Then open (if not already open) iris with the other ring. Focus when iris is open, close iris and shoot. So you don't have to lower the camera and look at the lens again.

edit:

* [ , that usually don't have markings (at least Soligors and Soviet lenses don't)]
seems that Vivitars and Tamrons have markings on both - which I think is confusing Smile