Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang 85mm f1.4 vs Canon 85mm f1.2 FD L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Samyang 85mm f1.4 vs Canon 85mm f1.2 FD L Reply with quote

Do you agree with this?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/962374

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that not have the samyang lens.

Have anothers preferences.

But it's a good lens, of course.

Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have users here who have the Samyang 85/1.4 and who have posted numerous images shot with it here at the forum. Here's one link I found:

http://forum.mflenses.com/samyang-85mm-f1-4-aspherical-if-some-samples-t19479,highlight,%2Bsamyang+%2B85mm.html

By all accounts, the lens really is that good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted an 85/1.4 lens since I bought my first Nikon body, but I always hated the price of the Nikon lenses. I kept expecting prices to drop, but they didn't. In fact, last year the price of a good MF 85/1.4 Ais went up. A lot.

Since the Zeiss was no cheaper, I gave up and bought a Samyang (Rokinon) 85/1.4. I love it...within its limitations. It's great wide open, but starts losing something when stopped down past about f/4. I'm not sure what yet, since I've only had it a few months and have used it very little. If I ever figure it out, I'll post.

But it doesn't really matter to me. I bought it to shoot wide open, or nearly so, and it works great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. Seems to me you would get just as good of photos with an 85/2 or 85/1.8 when stopped down to f/4 or smaller. Perhaps even better.

I feel the same way with my Canon FD 85/1.2 Al. That lens was designed to be used wide-open or nearly so, so that's the way I try to use it whenever possible. I'll never have it converted to EOS mount, though, so I'll probably do like you and pick up a Samyang one of these days so I can have that "fast 85" look with my EOS.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samyang 85mm is an excellent lens without any doubt I will take one some day I am pretty sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yes, exactly. Seems to me you would get just as good of photos with an 85/2 or 85/1.8 when stopped down to f/4 or smaller. Perhaps even better.

I feel the same way with my Canon FD 85/1.2 Al. That lens was designed to be used wide-open or nearly so, so that's the way I try to use it whenever possible. I'll never have it converted to EOS mount, though, so I'll probably do like you and pick up a Samyang one of these days so I can have that "fast 85" look with my EOS.

Understood! I didn't want the 85/1.4 as a do-everything short telephoto; I already have two of those, and both are smaller and lighter.

The only minor downside is the version I could afford was the one without a chip (it was on sale). Not an issue for my old Nikon 35mm cameras or my D700, but it won't work on my wife's D40.

Fortunately, she doesn't much care, since she prefers to use a super zoom so she never has to change lenses. Once in a while, she'll look at a picture and ask how I got such a nice, out-of-focus background, or how I manage to get clear, sharp images when it's too dark for her autofocus to even work. Someday, maybe she'll give prime lenses a try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that she notices and asks the questions is a good sign, methinks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

The Contax/Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 is supposed to be excellent at small apertures (and lagging a bit behind compared to others on wide open sharpness at close focus). It's not so much optimized for wide open performance like most 85/1.4's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would anyone bought a 1.4 lens to use at smaller aperture? If i want to shoot small aperture i just grab the nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and stop it down, I'm sure at f/8 it's about as sharp as any prime I know... Actually for most lens, at f/8 it's a moot point, all of them perform at f/8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my Samyang only ~2 weeks ago and, till now, I think it is a very good lens, indeed. I can't compare it to the Canon FD 85/1.2 as I don't have that lens but the Samyang is good enough, sharp at all apertures and with nice bokeh, not to feel the need for another 85/1.4 (or f/1.2).
The only drawback, IMO, is the close focus distance of only 1m. For close up photos I need to use an Achromat in front of it. It is a great lens at a very reasonable price, I think.

clockwork247 wrote:
why would anyone bought a 1.4 lens to use at smaller aperture? If i want to shoot small aperture i just grab the nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and stop it down, I'm sure at f/8 it's about as sharp as any prime I know... Actually for most lens, at f/8 it's a moot point, all of them perform at f/8.

IMO one gets a lens to use it at all the available apertures, not only wide opened. It doesn't make sens to take with me an 85/1.4 lens only for f/1.4 3D photos and another 85mm for, let's say, f/5.6 landscapes if I can take a single lens good enough for both.
Fortunately Samyang 85/1.4 is very good stopped down, too.

Last edited by dan_ on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like mine Smile http://forum.mflenses.com/comparison-cz-otus-85-1-4-vs-smyang-85-1-4-t68767.html

Tomas