Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar 1.7/50 C/Y a little help/advice please...EDIT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Planar 1.7/50 C/Y a little help/advice please...EDIT Reply with quote

brother-in-law just dropped off a Ziess Planar 1.7/50 MMJ
there is an issue...the front 'bezel' (i don't know if that is the right word/id) is wobbly/loose and so is the front element a little bit.
*i have a QBM Planar HFT (made in singapore) 50 1.8 that i inadvertently UNSCREWED the front bezel (i wanted to clean the front element but the [previous owner's] filter was on so tight and i unknowingly unscrewed to bezel and filter as one piece). i did get the two parts separated and put the bezel back on of course.
*but that exercise is the full extent of my lens technician experience.
SO- it seems the Zeiss planar's bezel does not unscrew. i'm guessing then the bezel is secured by screws then from the inside of lens.
i see no way of getting in to the front so i guess i'd need to go all the way through the back (disassemble).
again...i'm not a lens tech so is this procedure something that should be left to a Pro?
i seen a video of someone disassembling a Canon FD 1.8/50 and it seemed kinda of easy/uncomplicated/minimum of parts to lose track of...should a complete newb (me) try to repair this 50 1.7? if i mucked it all up then perhaps i can take it for a clean/re-assemble.
or is a Zeiss plenty more complicated/headache to open up than a Canon FD1.8/50?
THE ONE BIG problem is there is only 1 guy i know of (and i've searched extensively before) local (within 2 hours drive) that works on vintage stuff and he takes a loooooong time (i brought in a couple items) to diagnose one way or the other. i have no idea about CLA price.
Paul
I just googled some more and found/saw that the bezel is separate from the front retaining ring. i think i should be able to figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could post pictures of it's current state, it will make it easier to direct your next step.
This will be moved to the repair forum when its seen by a mod.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar QBM has it's name plate (I think it's the same part you're naming the bezel) "glued" to the lens body/barrel.
I had to make two tiny holes to fit the spanning tool to finally get it unscrewed. The lens does not have screws from the inside, at least the QBM version.

HTH,

Renato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
If you could post pictures of it's current state, it will make it easier to direct your next step.
This will be moved to the repair forum when its seen by a mod.

-Zeiss C/Y mount Planar 1.7/50mm MMJ-
i used an eraser to unsrew the nameplate/bezel from the front ring and was able to simply re-tighten the rather obviously loose screws.
i have an AEJ Zeiss 1.7/50mm that i compared the MMJ with and the MMJ seems to be as good as the AEJ. they are both in the 6x xxx S#s. so the AEJ is very late AEJ and the MMJ is an early MMJ.
BTW the Planar HFT 1.8/50 seems quite noticeably, IQ-wise, better than the Zeiss' (i checked at close med/close disances).