Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Film Scanner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Film Scanner Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am looking for a film scanner that takes not too much space over my desk. Normal flatty scans are too big. Price around 50 euros

Alex

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small ones are either cheap and nasty or expensive and good. There is no middle ground. My flatbed lives in an aluminium case and is taken out when I need it.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
can you give me some flatbeds you know that they can scan negatives too? Storing it at a place and taking out to do scans would work for me.

Alex

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my messy computer room the Epson V750 to the left does take up some room, but there is no reason why you couldn't put a flatbed under your table like I have for my Epson 4180 Photo Question

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks
just give me some models to have a look that can scan negatives quite good and they support windows 7
Alex

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
kind reminder for scanner models. Which ar ethe attributes I have to look for buying scanner? Is it just the dpi? What about dynamic range and color reproduction? What to make sure the scanner has to make possible film scanning?

Regards
A.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi
kind reminder for scanner models. Which ar ethe attributes I have to look for buying scanner? Is it just the dpi? What about dynamic range and color reproduction? What to make sure the scanner has to make possible film scanning?

Regards
A.

As mentioned before with dedicated film scanners:- you get what you pay for, there is no middle ground it's either an expensive scanner or a cheap one. Your only hope is to get an expensive scanner at a bargain price.
With most people using digital gear, magazines now wouldn't bother to test a selection of cheap scanners to suggest the best buy. Ian likes his Plustek so maybe you should start with that model...I can only suggest flatbed scanners (and so has other members) they are the best bang for buck if you don't want to pay for a dedicated film scanner.
As mentioned before, it might be better to go to an only scanner forum as this forum is basically for MF lenses and anyone posting film shots about a lens would not use a mickey mouse scanner.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also look at reflecta like this https://reflecta.de/en/products/detail/~id.15/reflecta-CrystalScan-7200.html
it's manual scanner for 35mm ( you need to advance the film frame by frame - but it's but quite good and certainly better than a flatbed.
It's also known as Pacific Image PrimeFilm 7250 i got mine from UK for about 50 gbp

Also please look for a scanner which support Ice ( this it the scanning with infrared which automatically removes the dust/scratches)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
what do you think about this model?

Scanner Epson Photo-Perfection 4180

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi all,
what do you think about this model?

Scanner Epson Photo-Perfection 4180

Regards
Alex

There you go same as mine:- http://uk.pcmag.com/epson-perfection-4180-photo/27152/review/epson-perfection-4180-photo

Not the best flatbed scanner but good enough for posting your shots here. I didn't choose the 4180 Photo for any reason.... it was just that I couldn't resist buying it at a boot sale for £3, cheap? Yes, but it had no power supply so I haggled (Yanno saying no power supply and it might not work) the price down and I knew I had a spare PS. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what other better models do you know?
Regards
A.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
what other better models do you know?
Regards
A.

Before I got my V750, I was looking for either a 3200 or 4990 but they are more expensive...but there are so many models over the years and I just wanted the best so didn't bother looking at the cheaper ones.....but any Epson flat bed scanner than can scan negs will give decent results and the only difference between a cheap and expensive one is:- the more expensive ones have better resolution and better at scanning into the shadows and also can scan more negs in one go...but if you are reducing to a 1000px to post here it equalizes the difference on many shots. And I have posted a link on another thread recently where I scanned a slide with an old 2480 and it looks very good on a web site.
There are other makes of scanners but couldn't be bothered to check them out as I had my mind set on the top Epson models whether I was right or wrong. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3in1 printer/scanner/photocopier but will have to get a dedicated film scanner as the top resolution that I can scan at is 600dpi.

The question is, is there a technique one will have to use to scan film on a flatbed?

As far as I know, put a white backgroun, shine some light through, and scan at highest resolution. Am I missing something?

Will definitely want a film scanner too, preferrably something that can scan 120 film and odd-sized 35mm panos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbeds that scan negs have a special illuminated cover. The light in the scanner turns off and it uses transmitted light from the cover. You can find lots of stuff on the internet that show you how to scan negs using aluminium foil reflectors, boxes and other DIY stuff. Trust me I've tried them all, at best they produce crap and at worst nothing. Of course a scanner with at least 2400dpi is needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v550 seems reasonable, if less Pro http://www.parkcameras.com/26564/Epson-Perfection-V550-Photo-Scanner.html

i missed acquiring a buckshee Nikon one last year, busted film transport tho

which may or may not have been a spendy repair ..